Review Saints beat North by 17

Remove this Banner Ad

I reckon his ceiling is much higher than Minch and probably even Wrighty. He thinks fast and is hyper defensive. His pressure acts are elite, he really effects the kicker and a couple of times last night caused Norths defence to turn over the ball under his close attention. He will run up to a player then make it to the handball option then go on to the next one. Needs to start converting his chances though.

i'm a big minch fan, but i feel the three of them won't be around in 2019.

Lonie had a killa first year we all know that. North game he was up and about in the 2nd but he was pushed away so many times which allowed easy north transfer. the staging for the free was west coast special and really dissapointed. i can't see the upside in the game atm

why do we presist with this small forward rotation? Greesh surly is all we need atm.

I'm currently having an argument in the AA thread on the main board with a blues supporter who claims Ross' disposal is 'awful'

I think he is an excellent disposer, especially by foot. Surely I'm not in the minority am I?

Here's what I liked about Lonie's game - he played Lonie's game. Wasn't trying to be something he isn't.

But he's only going to make it at AFL level as a forward.

Correct. I personally thought Lonie had a good game, could have been a great one if he converted his 2 behinds. Looking at those numbers, he has performed better than Wright/Minch in the games that they have played (besides Minch and his usual cats game). Give the kid some time to settle the nerves down without having to worry about being dropped next game. If he can keep those numbers up, and at least convert 1 goal, he is a lock.

Disposals 17
Contested 9
Intercepts 2
Score Inv 6
Clearances 3
Tackes 1
Behinds 2
Goals 0

I'm currently having an argument in the AA thread on the main board with a blues supporter who claims Ross' disposal is 'awful'

I think he is an excellent disposer, especially by foot. Surely I'm not in the minority am I?

I think what they meant to say was "awesome".

He just needs games under his belt now. We all appreciate that the step up from the VFL is a massive one so Lonie just needs to get battle hardened at the highest level and get 30-40 games under his belt. His goal kicking will improve, his decision making will improve and I have little doubt that the junkyard dog mentaility that he had in 2015 will return.

He's our only true forward pocket/crumber so I would hope that he's left there to snap at the heels of the big boys.
Yeah he just needs to be played back into form. You dont just all of a sudden loose skills. All last season we were saying tge same about Billings.
I was torn with Lonie. Its been so long since he played well. But i remember how good this 1st year little tip rat was.
He' also one of our best repeat sprinters. Good endurance, which shows late in games when he repeatedly runs to apply pressure. If he gets his polish back and starts sticking his tackles which will come with maturity. No doubt he'll be the small forward we need.

I think I have to agree with the prevailing sentiment here wrt Lonie and the forward pocket role. Instead of just rotating it weekly between him, Minch and Wright, the club should just give one of them the role for the rest of the season (barring a really poor performance ofc). Give Lonie some time to settle into his position and see if he can rediscover the magic from his first season. He's also out of contract, unlike the other two, so it's more urgent he gets a go now I suppose.

Yeah he just needs to be played back into form. You dont just all of a sudden loose skills. All last season we were saying tge same about Billings.
I was torn with Lonie. Its been so long since he played well. But i remember how good this 1st year little tip rat was.
He' also one of our best repeat sprinters. Good endurance, which shows late in games when he repeatedly runs to apply pressure. If he gets his polish back and starts sticking his tackles which will come with maturity. No doubt he'll be the small forward we need.

I think he's been okay, his pressure game is very good. Just needs to convert better and that's probably pressure to retain his spot etc working away in his head

I think he's been okay, his pressure game is very good. Just needs to convert better and that's probably pressure to retain his spot etc working away in his head
See, I'm not sure about this whole pressure thing with Lonie. How many of these so-called "pressure acts" are just failed tackles. I got the sense the other night that, look, the North players had him worked out, they just deflected or outright ignored his attempts at tackles, and went on their merry way.

In this recent team form slump it has seemed to me that Ross' kicking hasn't been as clean. Overall a very good kick but I don't think it's been on display lately

See, I'm not sure about this whole pressure thing with Lonie. How many of these so-called "pressure acts" are just failed tackles. I got the sense the other night that, look, the North players had him worked out, they just deflected or outright ignored his attempts at tackles, and went on their merry way.

They definitely took him on a few times & broke the tackle.

Once again, I think it's a case of allowing Lonie to get used to the pace & physicality of senior footy & those tackles will start to stick again. He has a great intent to tackle, which is something that is difficult to teach... he'll continue to get stronger in the gym so if he can combine that with better tackling techniques (ducking under the don't argue & attacking the hips) he'll become a key part of our defensive pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

9 contested possessions suggests he went on his own merry way often enough.

In this recent team form slump it has seemed to me that Ross' kicking hasn't been as clean. Overall a very good kick but I don't think it's been on display lately
This. I think he's been running himself ragged and it's starting to show with his disposal. Had 8 ineffective kicks in a row v either Sydney or WB and 8 clangers or turnovers v Adelaide last week.

Had been terrific for a year and 8 or so weeks prior to that.

They definitely took him on a few times & broke the tackle.

Once again, I think it's a case of allowing Lonie to get used to the pace & physicality of senior footy & those tackles will start to stick again. He has a great intent to tackle, which is something that is difficult to teach... he'll continue to get stronger in the gym so if he can combine that with better tackling techniques (ducking under the don't argue & attacking the hips) he'll become a key part of our defensive pressure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Having met the guy, he is quite small. So not sure if he has the physical attributes.

He can only bulk up do much before turning into one of those Eastern European Olympic body builders.

Lovely lad and works his butt off. Will be given time but still 50/50 IMO.

Seb can get the ball, but no penetration with his kicking- good in close, but not in the same league as Sinclair for clean disposal. We really need the mids to get the ball long and clean into the forwards- not scrubby kicks under pressure.

Seb can get the ball, but no penetration with his kicking- good in close, but not in the same league as Sinclair for clean disposal. We really need the mids to get the ball long and clean into the forwards- not scrubby kicks under pressure.

That clean Sinclair disposal ... like that goal he kicked Friday night after we kicked all those points ... I wonder who kicked it to Sinclair?

Having met the guy, he is quite small. So not sure if he has the physical attributes.

He can only bulk up do much before turning into one of those Eastern European Olympic body builders.

Lovely lad and works his butt off. Will be given time but still 50/50 IMO.

Can't argue with that...genetics are undoubtedly against him. If he can develop that 'wiry strength' rather than 'bulky strength' (if that makes sense) his tackling will improve.

He's a massive defender of the club, and the constant potting and bagging of players etc, sits poorly with him. And I do not blame him. My ignore list has increased lately.

He'll been gone for longer than two weeks.
Funny how it didn't seem to bother him when he was relentlessly talking down Longer. I also recall him being as negative as anyone after one of those 3 recent losses (which I actually thought was healthy, albeit surprising).

I don't have a problem with someone wanting to defend the club or those who play for it, but there's a way to do it and then there's the way Joffa often does it and that has no place here.

He's not "above the law", like he seems to think he is, especially when he does some of the stuff that he gets stuck into others for doing, which just makes him hypocritical.

Once you stop playing the ball and start playing the man and abusing or insulting others then you don't deserve to be post here and frankly, if he's not able to handle reading these posts without going into meltdown, then it's probably better for his own health if he doesn't post here.

He's not suspended because of what others did or said, he's suspended because of his own conduct. Again.

Good shorter kick to Sincs, but on the whole..

But on the whole he had 2 kicks I can recall that were plain junk kicks and completely shanked, a majority of his other kicks were slightly high, slightly low, slight left, "slightly..." this is different to say Gilbo who has an awkward kicking motion in which he knees himself in the face almost and up and unders a lot of kicks, or Steven who grub kicks a lot because he kicks half way between running and midway through 1.2 seconds per step since he runs like a duck, ie furiously.

He's not a bank it from 60 type of player no, but Ross' disposal is not s**t, and he has penetration in his kicks, they do not hang in the air like Joeys do for example, they have depth to them.

Ross is a good kick. Blues supporter obviously doesn't watch us that closely.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back