Review Saints beat North by 17

Remove this Banner Ad

Lonie deserves another go cause he wasn't that bad. First game back like after 2 months. Mav has quesionmark written all over him.

I loved how we played for first 2 quarters. Our inaccuracy haunted us at the end abit. Our kicking to our forwards early in the game was so good. Hopefully we make that permanent. I love roo but that was one of the games were I felt sorry for him. He looked done but I hope he bounces back.

Just on Mav, the 2 instances where I thought he definitely deserves to lose his spot were in the 2nd quarter coming out of defence, he ran onto a loose ball from Webster's? kick, which set us up perfectly. Bruce streamed forward & had a great 10m gap on his opponent. All that was needed was a strong Kick in the general direction of Bruce, but no..... Mav slows up tries some fancy footwork to baulk & 'look flashy', then ends up holding onto the ball too long that he has to finally kick high ball to Bruce in a 1-2 against Tarrant & Hansen.

The 2nd instance was exactly the same play but in the last, all that was needed was a strong kick down the line to a free player, but Mav has to look flashy so he baulks, cuts back inside then kicks a grubber to out of position Saints players that were goalside expecting him to use to loose down the line.

Seriously, needs to get a reality check
What pissed me off most was when he didn't give the handball back to Gilbo who was streaming into the 50. Instead he tried to take on Ziebell and got caught holding the ball. Should be dropped for that alone.
Think his head has gotten too big. Needs to he brought back down a peg, and be reminded he's not an automatic selection in this team.

Bar 15 minutes in the last, some sloppy ball use, and some missed opportunities in front of goal we have to be reasonably happy with the result.

I was pretty nervous that North would more than hold their own against us, and whilst they were poor, we made it that way for them for most of the night.

Our pressure on their ball carriers through the middle of the ground prevented clean entry into their forward line, and Carlisle and Brown totally dominated Sideshow Bob, and Waite.

The only real negative in terms of personal was Billy Longer. I know the club sees a bright future for him, and there isn't anyone banging down the door for his spot but heck for a big fella, he's got a long way to go. I'm yet to really see him physically impose himself on the contest, which worries me given his physique. Unfortunately we're in an awkward position where all of our ruckman are out of form.

One positive that I think has gone unnoticed, was Bruce's continual effort to make a contest at all arial balls. His ability to bring the ball to ground when outnumbered is something that we have been lacking, and makes us so much more dangerous. I was really happy with his output last night.

Lonie-Wright-Minchington-Long

I expect half of those 4 gone come the final list submission.

We are crying out for a decent small forward.

Cyril as FA for a few years!

Bar 15 minutes in the last, some sloppy ball use, and some missed opportunities in front of goal we have to be reasonably happy with the result.

I was pretty nervous that North would more than hold their own against us, and whilst they were poor, we made it that way for them for most of the night.

Our pressure on their ball carriers through the middle of the ground prevented clean entry into their forward line, and Carlisle and Brown totally dominated Sideshow Bob, and Waite.

The only real negative in terms of personal was Billy Longer. I know the club sees a bright future for him, and there isn't anyone banging down the door for his spot but heck for a big fella, he's got a long way to go. I'm yet to really see him physically impose himself on the contest, which worries me given his physique. Unfortunately we're in an awkward position where all of our ruckman are out of form.

One positive that I think has gone unnoticed, was Bruce's continual effort to make a contest at all arial balls. His ability to bring the ball to ground when outnumbered is something that we have been lacking, and makes us so much more dangerous. I was really happy with his output last night.
On just Longer. Ruckmans take some time to be that genuine big ruck who can be consistent and physical. He's like 23 or 24. When he hits that 25 age mark, I think that's when he really be that guy for us. Same goes for Paddy but he strike bit early.

I thought it was a good win. We played well, completely outplayed North and when they came at us the backline stood up. I guess it's disappointing to not belt them and improve our percentage, but when you've lost three on the trot convincingly I think you take a win however it comes. North have looked really good at times this year but we were able to shut down a lot of their damaging players (like Garner and Turner) and basically we were just better than them.

We looked a lot cleaner with the ball. Perhaps North let us get away with a bit more than the last few weeks, but the connect between defence and midfield was working again. Bruce was awesome in the forward line too, seems way back in the zone confidence-wise. Billings is also starting to look like a hell of a player - he has class and also strength. I thought it was Gresham's best game in a long time, he is missing a few shots but he was just dangerous all the time yesterday. Sincs has gone to another level, loved his game.

I actually liked Lonie's game. 17 possessions, lots of hassling and pressure, he just didn't give up at any contest. He also went into the midfield and got a few handy clearances. Don't understand the criticism at all. Missed a set shot yes but come on, how many sodas have we missed this year?

Weller had a funny game. Looked lively early. Then seemed to disappear from the game completely. Still, better I think than previous weeks.

It was good to see Steven go forward and kick some goals and influence the game that way. He's way down on form. Ross was awesome as usual. Stevens gutsy after copping a knock.

The whole backline stood up to a man so well done there.

Doubt we will see many changes next week as it was just a well-rounded team performance, and I think we will get better next week too. Looking at the ladder, we need a 55 point win to get back to even percentage.

I would say Longer may begin to come under pressure. It's a shame for Hick that there is no reserves game so that he can push his case. Longer was pretty calamitous in that game. So lucky not be punished for that 50 which was about as big a brain fade as you can have.

The McCartin question is a tricky one. Who comes out? I think it's been mentioned, but our forward line pressure was a lot better tonight with about 14 tackles inside 50. That is definitely an area of the game that Paddy needs to improve, I hope they can point that out to him before he comes back in. Roo for example, looked like he was moving pretty gingerly, but still managed to lay 5 tackles and got 20-odd possessions. Says something about him as a player I guess. On the flip side though we need to get AFL games into Paddy.

I thought Mav was ok.
I saw parts were he wanted to take the game on himself not be Part of the team. He's in the leadership team, he needs to think about his teammates not himself. He is out of form clearly and Weller 2016 needs to return.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As annoyed as I was last night that we took our foot off the pedal and let a percentage booster slip if you offered me a 17 point win before the game I would've grabbed it with both hands.

Some positive signs that we're turning our form around and looking to attack more like earlier in the season, we just need to do that more consistently over 4 quarters rather than just for a quarter or two.

Lonie-Wright-Minchington-Long

I expect half of those 4 gone come the final list submission.

We are crying out for a decent small forward.

Cyril as FA for a few years!

Maybe we should get Saad back on the list, he was the leading goalkicker in the VFL last year and is still only 27.

I don't think Lonie is the answer as a small forward, he's not kicking goals and his tackling pressure is pissweak, I'd rather Minchington, Wright or Long.

At least Billings has got back his goal kicking form, could've had another 5 goal bag while Gresham could've kicked 3 or 4 goals with the chances he had.

Sinclair is good around goals too although he is being used more in the midfield than up forward these days, hard to believe Lonie was being selected ahead of him at the start of the season, he should now be one of our first picked.

My short take on the game. In the first half when the game was there to be won our 3 best players were 1. Ross 2. Billings 3. Dunstan.

That was Dunstan's best game by a fair margin. He did fade after half time which he needs to work on, but the way he cracked in and was actually first to the ball was surprising since this is what we have lacked recently. And to do that against Ziebell and Cunnington was even more so impressive.

I was criticizing Montagna but his first quarter and a half he was actually worst on ground for us. Credit he did pick up after half time and needs to play at that level or he is out.
As much as I would like to see Lonie be a success, his goal kicking is unacceptable and a major liability. I think by memory he is 0.5 from set shots in 2017. That one he missed from 15 metres was unbelievable.

Dunstan very good. Will hold his spot.

Some of Longer's taps are fantastic and gives the midfield a fair chance at clearances. He even took an intercept mark!
Dunstan is a good player with a very poor tank.
Always good for three quarters and totally cooked in the last quarter.

He gets a fine under the points system or nothing because of low force. No weeks for that.
Fantastic - If that's what the AFL want then I'm sure there'll be heaps of AFL players willing to cop the $1000 fine just so than can give any serial pest a good old kidney punch.

Jeez Toby Greene and Tom Bugg would be needing transplants every week under that sort of thinking. (Lets not even think about how poor old Hayden Ballantyne or Milney would have gone)

Intentional - medium - body - one week.

But then again the AFL tribunal is a bit of a joke so you're right he will probably get a fine.

Fantastic - If that's what the AFL want then I'm sure there'll be heaps of AFL players willing to cop the $1000 fine just so than can give any serial pest a good old kidney punch.

Jeez Toby Greene and Tom Bugg would be needing transplants every week under that sort of thinking. (Lets not even think about how poor old Hayden Ballantyne or Milney would have gone)

Intentional - medium - body - one week.

But then again the AFL tribunal is a bit of a joke so you're right he will probably get a fine.

Did you notice the elbow in the guts that Roo copped first before retaliating? Even the commentary team remarked on it. Fines for both of them IMO. Low impact.

A classic 'take the win and move on' game. Nice for the result to be in little doubt all game although obviously pretty frustrating to watch.

Thought Ross and Sinclair were the best for us whatever their actual numbers, for the same reason - both _think_ about their disposal / weight up options. Sincs in particular is giving us out best delivery inside 50 at the moment imo. I'll take 3 Sincs precision passes inside rather then 10 long bombs any day.

Oh, and the second Billings review was a goal. First one was fingertipped, but the second one I thought was very inconclusive in which case the goal should stand. Billings was great all day, shame about the late miss but it kinda summed up the day.

Thought guys like Webster and Blacres had good days I thought even though both didn't seem to have a heap of it (although Jimmy had a bit in the second half), just did their jobs well. Blacres' disposal was heartening, it will still ambitious at times but much more weighted than what he's tried in the past. Dunstan I thought did the team things well too, he cracked in, and put on a lot of blocks and shepherd's and generally put his body on the line for the team.

On the negative side, Mav. He and Lonie are both playing selfishly at the moment, not doing the team things because they know their place in the side is in jeopardy. His set shots have been woeful too. Mav in the next to need time in the 2s to get some fire back, it seems to have worked for Bruce & Dunstan.

So where do the likes of Dunstan and Stevens play when not in the middle. They haven't really got the ability to play in other positions. And anyway once the ball is bounced about 10 play on the ball. And I would think Richo wants us to be predictable. Worked for Hawks for many years.
After the centre bounce all our wingers and flankers become mids.

Sincas uses the ball so well that you want him getting the release handball from the inside grunters... which he can do from a wing very efficiently.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thats not what I was saying. Not everyone is like sincs. You need to give players an opportunity at least play somewhat in the same position that they have been in the twos to allow for better development and smoother transitions to afl. Whether it be 5minutes a half or the whole game

Just thought I would put this update here as well

St Kilda young gun Hugh Goddard will miss the remainder of 2017 with a toe injury, the Saints confirmed on Friday.

Goddard will undergo surgery to repair ligaments in his big toe, after suffering the injury in the VFL two weeks ago.

Sent via HAL
Sad reacts only :'(

On just Longer. Ruckmans take some time to be that genuine big ruck who can be consistent and physical. He's like 23 or 24. When he hits that 25 age mark, I think that's when he really be that guy for us. Same goes for Paddy but he strike bit early.
He cant even get a basic handball off. Hes got plenty if heart but i want a flag and he is not a premiership ruckmen.

He cant even get a basic handball off. Hes got plenty if heart but i want a flag and he is not a premiership ruckmen.

Give him time, I was one who cracked the shits when Hick was dropped but he is only young for a ruckman and has just reached 50 games. He had a fantastic game against the Dogs and is getting better. I thought he was scrappy as heck last night but I like the fact he is throwing himself on the ground as a road block and starting to use his physicality to make life hard for opposition players around him. Rucks don't get better not playing and they don't hit their peak until around 28 in most cases. I prefer Hickey and Holmes but I'm not as anti Longer as I was and think he has some potential to still get to a high level with time.

As I just posted on the Cheer Squad thread....I was very surprised that 26 K attended...I thought they'd be pushing to get 20K.

The club must be pretty concerned about our home attendances tho.......not once this year has the crowd been posted and our group has gone "that's a great crowd"...it's always..."is that all".

A bit baffling/disappointing as the club has been strong at promoting home games this year.

I don't know what the answer is really......I guess just keep winning.

What was the line in the movie Field of Dreams.....win em and they will come......lol.

It was a North home game and the club didn't send that $15 ticket thing out until Friday arvo. I went to the Dogs home game and was left disappointed and would rather watch on TV if I'm not sure what we will dish up. I will be at next weeks game because my membership lets me in for free. Cost me $75 in tickets for the Dogs games for me and the kids and another $50 in food and drinks. I'd rather watch in my lounge with cold beers and a heater on than give North the money.

Premiership ruckmen of the last 10-15 years: Jordan Roughead, Tom Boyd, Ben McEvoy, David Hale, Max Bailey, Mike Pyke, Shane Mumford, Brad Ottens, Trent West, Darren Jolly, Leigh Brown, Mark Blake, Robbie Campbell, Brent Renouf, Steven King, Dean Cox, Mark Seaby, Jason Ball, Brendon Lade, Dean Brogan, Clark Keating, Jamie Charman.

I reckon Longer could easily be as good as a few of those spuds.

doubt he'll get another Contract extention... but he did a few good things in 2nd half. he's just too small. pushed away to easy.

I reckon his ceiling is much higher than Minch and probably even Wrighty. He thinks fast and is hyper defensive. His pressure acts are elite, he really effects the kicker and a couple of times last night caused Norths defence to turn over the ball under his close attention. He will run up to a player then make it to the handball option then go on to the next one. Needs to start converting his chances though.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back