Salopek to be traded to Essendon?

Remove this Banner Ad

I'd be very surprised if Collingwood were chasing Salopek. We have had the emergence of guys such as Wellingham, Beams, Sidebottom etc. These types will only get better.

If anything, a club like Essendon would be a perfect fit for him.

Sal's manager says he is homesick.

Salopek's manager, Craig Vozzo, last night confirmed the ace out-of-contract midfielder is being courted by "a few" Victorian clubs and is strongly weighing up whether to return home to Melbourne.

He said 25-year-old Salopek - taken at pick six in the 2002 national draft - is homesick and will make a decision on his future in the next "few" weeks.

homesick

Yeah whats the ****ing point.

What aspect of this ****ed competition, and our personal circumstances with the SANFL, is not rigged against us right now?

****ing sick of it. I need to find a new hobby because this is like Russian roulette with a full barrel.

Ok lets assume this is correct and he wants to go.....

This is the best year for us if a player wants to go to Melbourne due to the gold coast having the first million picks in the draft/PSD and the first "live" club with a pick is West Coast.

Gold Coast have plenty of money so they'd happily take someone like Salopek given the chance

This of course means if he wants to go to Melbourne and there are a "few" clubs interested then they will have to come to the party and offer something reasonable, or Salopek will have to go even further away from Melbourne, or bite the bullet and stay here

According to Treddas twitter he is just waiting until he knows who the new coach is and what his plans are.

Riiiiight.

Or that he just wants Matty to get the job.

And this is exactly why we cant appoint Primus. Our team is full of absolute soft ***** in their own sheltered little club, OHH WAHHH WAHH WAHHH A NEW COACH COULD SAY NASTY THINGS TO ME!

Sick of this stupid attitude. Get a new coach and sort this crap out.

Maybe I should have been a *bit* clearer and left out my usual perfectly warranted rant at the SANFL :p

Apart from 'homesick', what has Sal's manager got to negotiate a better deal with us for the next 2 years when he ends up at GC or WC if he walks ? WC could afford his nominated $$ you would think (I think that's how the PSD works??). Port is as close to Vic as he gets, unless WE choose to trade.

It doesn't worry me that his manager is talking 'homesick'. It's his job. It would worry me if Rohde was publicly showing signs of biting the bait which he isn't so far AFAIK, because that would mean instead of working on offloading oh, say, Kane and getting a more damaging A-grade midfielder in we're being distracted just by a manager doing their normal job.

As soon as a manager floats something like this it makes it a near certainty in my opinion. Sal is a difficult guy to dislike but we are losing too many players in their prime or about to reach it. We don't need draft picks either, we need like-for-like trades. Can't think of anyone at Essendon we would want though, perhaps Monfries as advocated by gopower.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Why don't we need draft picks? Give me the choice of Essendon's first rounder (we wouldn't get it, but hypothetically) or Monfries and a second rounder and I'd take the first rounder every time.

It's a bit of a tough call, but I tend to agree. What we can't afford to do is accept generic flankers from now on, either via the draft or trade process.

Either they are bona fide goal-kicking small forwards (e.g. Hitchcock), or proven lock-down defenders (e.g. Surjan), or we get players who are genuine midfielders or key position players. The Nashes, Meyers, Logans of this world have blocked up our list far too much. We won't go anywhere if we concede defeat by taking on these types of blokes.

Why dont we need draft picks? I have no confidence we will draft the right players, and the draft is compromised for the next few seasons too. On top of this is the lottery nature of the draft. Planning and scouting has never prevented clubs taking duds with high draft picks.

Our list is already very young, and replacing a 25 year old with an 18 year old takes us backwards again. I want to see this club taking steps FORWARD, or at the very least not losing ground.

We have a lot of guys who seem to off like Krakouer, Salopek, D. Motlop and possibly a few others.

While this seems like a bad thing, considering our best players are young and the veterans are struggling to dominate games, I don't mind if we get draft picks to bolster a very good young list.

It would mean we could consolidate our young team and really push for something in a few years time.

It is never good when you lose a few players but they all have a bit of a question mark over them. I hope them all the best. If we get good compensation for them, it will be good in the long term.

As I have stated on this board and a few others, our drafting from 2005-2010 has been pretty good. If we continue to get a few picks and weed out depth players, we will have a good, young nucleus to work with.

If SalJet was a later draft pick player, I would be ok with him going.

But are we really going to be able to get someone of his potential quality with a Trade or a Pick?

Why don't we need draft picks? Give me the choice of Essendon's first rounder (we wouldn't get it, but hypothetically) or Monfries and a second rounder and I'd take the first rounder every time.
I believe Port Adelaide would have a fair shot at the Bombers' first round pick considering it'll be around the 10-15 mark. Let's not forget he was pick 6 who has performed (to some level) through chronic injury.

Salopek is a player of extreme quality when played in his correct position. What is suspect is his durability. Hawthorn knew what they were trading for when they swung Port Adelaide picks 9 + 16 for Shaun Burgoyne through Essendon. Salopek is probably worth 1 pick in between those.

Essendon has proven they are amicable trade partners. If they want Salopek and he does want to go there we'll be fairly compensated for his loss assuming Rohde does his job.

I'd look at leveraging this deal and whatever picks exchange hands to land Ryan Griffen (assuming he does come back to SA) or other players of considerable quality. I'd have no qualms sending our first round and Essendon's first round pick to the Bulldogs for him. The Crows are the smokey in this scenario.

while i suspect we may get a pick in the late late teens or more likely in the 20's for sal, i wonder if its better to offer sal + whatever pick we get from krak/ mots from wa teams ( if he goes there?) or our 2nd rounder to get pick 10 or 12 from essendon? although they say this draft is really even after the top talent so ild be happy to go the other way (and assuming there is no suitable player trade) and get pick 17-27 sal, and pick for krak/ motlop. ideally, ild like to see krak and motlop offered to freo for their 1st ( pick 21?) or more likely wc for either pick 26 ( priority pick) or pick 28. if they get picks 4 26 and 28 then their 3rd round, ild hope they would let go of one of the two 2nd rounders.

the big problem for us is by our pick, gorringe is definately gone, smith is very very likely to have gone, and i believe we will miss out on lycett. thats 3 sa guns. polec could go anywhere. but i dont believe he is what we need, although i have no qualms with port adel. taking him at 16 if they consider him best available, kid is good no doubt. essendons 1st round gives us a realistic shot at lycett or smith.

Our list is already very young, and replacing a 25 year old with an 18 year old takes us backwards again. I want to see this club taking steps FORWARD, or at the very least not losing ground.

Think of it this way. Do we have more good players around the 18-23 age group or the 23-28 age group? I'd say the former. Adding another 18 year old is more likely to get us closer to a premiership TEAM rather than just a few good players spread out amongst different ages. We need to do what Geelong did, get a whole bunch of players peaking at once. If it takes some time, then it takes some time and there's nothing we can do about it.

So let me get this straight a former number 6 draft pick with 100 games under his belt and full of class and we are supposed to be happy with a pick in the late teens mid twenties. Sounds like we're getting f***** over again. I'd say call his bluff and let WC or Richmond take him, but Richmond look like they are going to come good in the next couple of years.

Admittedly he has had injury issues, but according to reports the latest operation is one that will be a lasting fix. My next question is why did we wait this long to get it fixed properly in the first place? - at times this club leaves me a little bewildered!!

Think of it this way. Do we have more good players around the 18-23 age group or the 23-28 age group? I'd say the former. Adding another 18 year old is more likely to get us closer to a premiership TEAM rather than just a few good players spread out amongst different ages. We need to do what Geelong did, get a whole bunch of players peaking at once.

Sounds good in theory, but I would pity our next coach who will have a bunch of inexperienced undeveloped kids trying to win him games each week. This board and the rest of our supporters aren't going to stomach 4-5 years of being competition easy beats while we wait/hope for them to develop. We will become another Richmond - sacking a coach every couple of years because we aren't getting results.

Think of it this way. Do we have more good players around the 18-23 age group or the 23-28 age group? I'd say the former. Adding another 18 year old is more likely to get us closer to a premiership TEAM rather than just a few good players spread out amongst different ages. We need to do what Geelong did, get a whole bunch of players peaking at once. If it takes some time, then it takes some time and there's nothing we can do about it.

Understand. But what you are failing to consider is that not all draft selections come good. In fact, the majority don't. Adam Thomson. Matthew Lobbe. Marlon Motlop. Even Hamish Hartlett has not justified his pick 4 selection... yet.

We will get compensated for Krak, and that will leave us with 3 picks in the top two rounds of the draft. Unless we can use a draft pick obtained for Sal to lure a player of quality by on-trading the draft pick, I will maintain my stance on this.

Losing Krak, Sal and probably Mots having already lost Burgoyne without getting at least one quality player in return will mean more years at the bottom.

I can't see Monfries being put up for trade by the Bombers but him + a 1st or 2nd round pick for Sal would be good...what about Motlop to the Eagles? I heard this a while back, and with Hurn supposedly after a move back home we could try and work a deal there

Remove this Banner Ad

Back