Sam Gray

Jul 17, 2010
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
He’ll find a club, but not on the dollars that he was originally expecting.

He could have stayed too, but he had already burnt that bridge (as you can tell by CDs public message).
Peter Rhode truly is an idiot of the highest order.

We should know - especially with what he did to our club.

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I actually feel bad for Sam, he’s been badly advised.

It wasn’t just that he didn’t sign the original offer, he (or more accurately; his management) thought it would be a good ploy to counter with numbers that were out of this realm, numbers that he knew he was never going to get just to buy time to get elsewhere.

It was straight out of the Polec playbook, only it turns out he never got to his first choice club as they didn’t prioritise a deal for him.

was his first choice club Carlton like it was rumored?

Found it strange they didnt pick him up on the last day when it was clear papley wasn't happening.

Dec 18, 2005
Barstow, Cal14nia
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
GAVROI MOUNIA... GAMW TON PIRAEA
was his first choice club Carlton like it was rumored?

Found it strange they didnt pick him up on the last day when it was clear papley wasn't happening.

Can’t know for sure because nobody made any (serious) approaches during the trade period, but I think so.

Last edited:

Rexie J

Premiership Player
Apr 22, 2012
YP
AFL Club
Port Adelaide

It wasn’t just that he didn’t sign the original offer, he (or more accurately; his management) thought it would be a good ploy to counter with numbers that were out of this realm, numbers that he knew he was never going to get just to buy time to get elsewhere.

It was straight out of the Polec playbook, only it turns out he never got to his first choice club as they didn’t prioritise a deal for him.

A manager who lacks the skill to read teas leaves must be a massive liability for a player.

So he tried to * us with a bad faith negotiation to shop himslf around (he wasnt misled on that, thats the exact decision he made) and it blew up in his face, and we should feel sorry for him?

* Sam Gray

Sep 26, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Despite the fact that he was a bit of a whipping boy around here, Sammy did play plenty of good football for us. That patch at the end of 2015 where he went into the midfield and showed some real promise, all those games against North where he kicked bags.

Hopefully he finds another club. I wish him all the best.
It's unfortunate that the same logic is not applied to our under performing "coach".

Tredrea says he's off to Sydney.

Bit of a downgrade from a broken down Menzel tbh.

At least he won’t get to play FF or CHF CB there.

Good luck shooting from SCG angles Sam.

Will tear the NEAFL a new one on his off weeks.

Such is life.

On iPhone using recycled electrons, via BigFooty.com mobile app

His own daft fault then. Similar to his decision making on field. Takes a long time and still messes it up.

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Sam Gray was 2 games short of 100 SANFL games and 4 games short of 100 AFL games. Pretty close to getting his name on the locker twice.
Played 194 games for us. Ineligible for F/S. That's quite a feat!

May 26, 2017
Uruguayana, RS (BRA)
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Grêmio, DC United, Pistons
Lol Rohde.

Make sure your client is an AFL standard first 18 player before trying to play the Polec playbook.
The plays could have been similar, but the scales should have been chalk-and-cheese. The numbers were probably way different.

Rhode was the one who did most of the negotiation on that diabolical Lobbe contract we were saddled with.

He's a rubbish negotiator.

Oct 7, 2005
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Are there other teams?
Thanks Sam for the 90 odd games. Never had any doubt he tried 100%. Sydney will be a good fit for him.

I don’t believe Rohde would have given him bad advice. Rohde was very conservative and professional when at Port. Don’t know C4 but I’m guessing he has links to a Player Management group maybe with an agenda to bag the opposition from time to time.

Ultimately it’s up to the player whether he signs Port’s contract. If a player decides not to, without another firm offer on the table, that’s on the player. No one, least of all Rohde, would have given him guarantees about getting a gig elsewhere.

Whatever, Sam was a great clubman. I’d consider making an exception for him and letting his name go on the 46 locker.

Back