Sam Gray

G3TWOTYAD3S3RV

Premiership Player
Aug 22, 2016
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Thanks Sam for the 90 odd games. Never had any doubt he tried 100%. Sydney will be a good fit for him.

I don’t believe Rohde would have given him bad advice. Rohde was very conservative and professional when at Port. Don’t know C4 but I’m guessing he has links to a Player Management group maybe with an agenda to bag the opposition from time to time.

Ultimately it’s up to the player whether he signs Port’s contract. If a player decides not to, without another firm offer on the table, that’s on the player. No one, least of all Rohde, would have given him guarantees about getting a gig elsewhere.

Whatever, Sam was a great clubman. I’d consider making an exception for him and letting his name go on the 46 locker.

Na the little garden gnome was offered another year but the great humongous clubman said na so I say faaark off !!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The Rubber Man

Club Legend
May 1, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
To play Butters / Farrell / Patmore

that would be fantastic if it happens

saw the interview. Says if those guys like farrell dont get extended playtime in the AFL soon they will never make it.

I agree, hopefully they actually give them a good run at it.

“If you start to think about (Zak) Butters playing next year and Kane Farrell and Jake Patmore coming back from injury, we’ve got to make sure that they’ve got spots to come into at AFL level because if they are held at SANFL level for too long they become SANFL type players.

“That’s what we need to make sure doesn’t happen. We've got to give those spots to some guys who we think have got the talent to not only to perform now but also have the talent to be really good players for us into the future.

“We know we’ve got to make some decisions in order to get better.’’

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
“If you start to think about (Zak) Butters playing next year and Kane Farrell and Jake Patmore coming back from injury, we’ve got to make sure that they’ve got spots to come into at AFL level because if they are held at SANFL level for too long they become SANFL type players.

“That’s what we need to make sure doesn’t happen. We've got to give those spots to some guys who we think have got the talent to not only to perform now but also have the talent to be really good players for us into the future.

Is it Davis or Hinkley making these decsions , seems like Davies has been asked to take over our footy department more .
O

Is it Davis or Hinkley making these decsions , seems like Davies has been asked to take over our footy department more .
O

Well, Kane Farrell got 7 games in a row out of a possible 22 this year. It's not like he wasn't given a shot at it.

I think it's just a natural progression of some of these players. If Patmore hadn't done his ACL I'm quite certain he would have gotten games this year too.

I actually think this is more to do with Marshall than anyone else. There's absolutely nothing he can learn in the SANFL anymore - his game against Sydney proved that he knows what he needs to do.

Feb 7, 2014
reynella
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Chelsea FC , Boston Red Sox/celtics
Well, Kane Farrell got 7 games in a row out of a possible 22 this year. It's not like he wasn't given a shot at it.

I think it's just a natural progression of some of these players. If Patmore hadn't done his ACL I'm quite certain he would have gotten games this year too.

I actually think this is more to do with Marshall than anyone else. There's absolutely nothing he can learn in the SANFL anymore - his game against Sydney proved that he knows what he needs to do.

Yeah way too Many people slamming Marshall on his sanfl series but forget his 2nd of the afl season was very good for a skinny kid under 50 games , sanfl is worthless for Marshall

El_Scorcho

Hall of Famer
Aug 21, 2007
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Aston Villa, San Antonio Spurs

What happened to the oft repeated mantra of keeping guys in the 2s until they've earned it?

If they're better than Sam Gray, they'll get picked ahead of Sam Gray, right? If they aren't better, they need to get better, right?

What happened to the oft repeated mantra of keeping guys in the 2s until they've earned it?

If they're better than Sam Gray, they'll get picked ahead of Sam Gray, right? If they aren't better, they need to get better, right?
1) we dont select on merit at PAFC
2) plenty of sanfl bags being kicked by smalls going unrewarded while sam plugs away for his goal a game as a full time forward at afl level

Kiss from a Rozee

Goddess
Bring Back the Bars
Nov 23, 2018
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
1) we dont select on merit at PAFC
2) plenty of sanfl bags being kicked by smalls going unrewarded while sam plugs away for his goal a game as a full time forward at afl level
I mean regardless of whether this a fair assessment of 2019 they probably had a few players ahead of Sam Gray for 2020 and probably told him as much.

That said it’s clearly spin, and could be a blatant lie that can now never be disproven.

Dav

Hotel? Trivago.
10k Posts Koala SFA State of Origin Coney Island Warriors - Sweet F.A. Pantskyle SFA Fight For MND SFA Daffodil Day Fund Raiser Brisbane Dolphins Player - BFFCL BFFCL Club Captain Blue Mountain Bounders Player - BFFCL
Jul 23, 2015
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Brighton, McLaren F1
Apr 6, 2014
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I admire Sam's work ethic but we got to allow a better first 22 to evolve. I'm not sore about it. I can't believe Facebook supporters going bananas at the club over his departure.

I can understand a player being cut after playing a full season because it has happened around the afl and we did it with Paxman and Daniels too.

However I find it harder to accept Ryder being played when he was done and dusted. I find it odd what unfolded with Howard.

Nemisis

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 27, 2012
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
I call bullshit. Sam had the option of staying and he probably would have played 15-20 games next year as one of Ken’s favourites.
Sammy was politely shown the door by Davies. "yeah here's a contract but 20% less than last year". Sgray had every right to look at his options. Davies "Patmore will fill the gap" ... There was once a time where players at Port had to earn games.

Starting to think he is being over ruled

In terms of list management it seems Hinkley has less say than before. In terms of weekly selection, 2019 was still very much gold pass city and we saw nothing to suggest that would change in 2020. Just look at the team we fielded in the final round.

Sep 8, 2007
Adelaide
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Port Adelaide (SANFL)
Jeremy Clayton was mentioned in article regarding the delisting of Sam Gray, saying the club had treated Gray with disdain.

Having checked Clayton's Twitter feed, when did he become a supporter of Port Adelaide at AFL level? He was one of a few Magpie players who trashed the AFL brand for years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Jeremy Clayton was mentioned in article regarding the delisting of Sam Gray, saying the club had treated Gray with disdain.

Having checked Clayton's Twitter feed, when did he become a supporter of Port Adelaide at AFL level? He was one of a few Magpie players who trashed the AFL brand for years.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Hes long been a member and goes every week

Back