Draft Profile Sam Walsh - Selected by Carlton with pick 1!

Remove this Banner Ad

It's a gut feeling as he's the most ready to go talent. Bailey Smith and Caldwell some chance, although Caldwell probably won't play enough. Rankine some hope as well. If I were tipping, Walsh would be the one.

He is my tip too, just do not think he will win it in a canter as you suggest. If Setterfield gets fit, he could overtake him in second half of year.

Docherty's dad was dying when he asked for the trade. His dad died during his first preseason at Carlton. Terrible for the young man, and a pretty understandable reason to ask for a trade. Plenty of other examples of players returning home to Victoria for little reason. Maybe pick one of them instead.

Carn

None of that has anything to do with what I was talking about.

The poster made a big deal about something he had completely wrong.

I explained why he had it wrong and why it was so stupid. Bringing up sams shitty situation is irrelevant.

Sam was just one example of many players going back to Vic i plucked out.

Docherty was not getting a fair go as a youngster under Voss. He was a big Carlton supporter as a kid. It was a no brainer he asked to be traded to us when he did as he was not getting regular games at Lions. Their loss for not knowing what they had. I remember thinking why Voss kept leaving him out of side so often. Doch had good reason to want out. Polec also left same off season back to SA for similar reasons. It is the ones that play 40 games in first two seasons and up and leave clubs should feel dirty about. I personally agree with Gary Lyon that draftees should be on a 4 year contract initially to give the club drafting more chance to get player more inclined to invest in that club more. Two years is not much. Most youngsters take 3 or 4 pre-seasons to start to become the players they can be.

I’ve got zero problem with docherty going to Carlton and it’s baffling that is what people are taking away from this.

A blues supporter mentioned rankine and luko and something about those horrible sa clubs saying they would go after the sa kids.

I pointed out he had completely misunderstood the event, which was a Vic club recruiter or coach had mentioned keeping tabs on the Victorian’s drafted elsewhere and then Cripps said the same about sa lads in a cheeky manner. It was reported in a way that left half the info out so as to make it look bad.

I also asked the poster if he was this angry when the 20 odd players requested a trade to Victorian teams last off season or when a player nominated his team.

People replying with reasons as to why docherty left to go to Carlton are completely missing the point.

A blues supporter mentioned rankine and luko and something about those horrible sa clubs saying they would go after the sa kids.

I pointed out he had completely misunderstood the event, which was a Vic club recruiter or coach had mentioned keeping tabs on the Victorian’s drafted elsewhere and then Cripps said the same about sa lads in a cheeky manner. It was reported in a way that left half the info out so as to make it look bad.
The media always do that s**t just to create headlines. I actually heard the audio. It was our own SOS that joked about keeping tabs on some kids likely to be drafted interstate and Cripps was also mucking about. But at end of day they both laughing because naturally if any kids interested in going home and talented you do keep tabs on them if it is club job. It is not really news to be honest. King will end up at Saints, nothing surer.
We'll keep a keen eye on Caldwell and McHenry :p

Absolutely hilarious after Carlton try and get rvery single Victorian GWS player every single year.

You went for Shiel and Setterfield last year alone. Give it a spell
The hate towards us in all your posts is quite hilarious!

You seriously need to chill a bit as armchair forum experts really will never alter a seasons outcome or games played. We are all passengers really and the more I read your posts the more I am worried this obsession and deep hatred of us you exhibit is really affecting you all over these boards.

Go through your post history and 80%+ is all anti Carlton related pure hate!

Relax a bit mate and you may even live longer as well. ;)

The hate towards us in all your posts is quite hilarious!

You seriously need to chill a bit as armchair forum experts really will never alter a seasons outcome or games played. We are all passengers really and the more I read your posts the more I am worried this obsession and deep hatred of us you exhibit is really affecting you all over these boards.

Go through your post history and 80%+ is all anti Carlton related pure hate!

Relax a bit mate and you may even live longer as well. ;)

Hahaha, nice stat. Got anything to back that up or are you just making stuff up?

The comment I responded to I actually did the same to a swans supporter who suggested the same situation that SA teams shouldn’t be openly targeted SA players. The Carlton supporter is not special

As for hatred, you are way off, I’ve had plenty of great discussions with Carlton Supporters and some arguments of course considering our latest history with Gibbs and McGovern.

Not sure why you would try and give me life tips too? You’re a mod and here to moderate a footy forum aren’t you? Are you a psychiatrist? If you are then I’m happy to take that advice on board:thumbsu:

Hahaha, nice stat. Got anything to back that up or are you just making stuff up?

The comment I responded to I actually did the same to a swans supporter who suggested the same situation that SA teams shouldn’t be openly targeted SA players. The Carlton supporter is not special

As for hatred, you are way off, I’ve had plenty of great discussions with Carlton Supporters and some arguments of course considering our latest history with Gibbs and McGovern.

Not sure why you would try and give me life tips too? You’re a mod and here to moderate a footy forum aren’t you? Are you a psychiatrist? If you are then I’m happy to take that advice on board:thumbsu:
Consider me the later then and enjoy our great game without the hate. ;)

I will and keep up the great work moderating:thumbsu:
I will and anything that makes the site better for mature posters who are here with no agendas and driven hate to hide behind can only make the place better with reasoned discussion.

In saying that tough I am just a normal poster on this board like you as I do not moderate this board.

I will and anything that makes the site better for mature posters who are here with no agendas and driven hate to hide behind can only make the place better with reasoned discussion.

In saying that tough I am just a normal poster on this board like you as I do not moderate this board.

Absolutely, silly comments about 80% stats and pretend hatred would make it even more enjoyable also, but hey let’s move on shall we, thanks for the like on the crows board too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its between only Walsh and b.Smith to win rising star..both jets
Agree Smith has massive potential but a bit premature on the RS - A lot of newly drafted players or RS candidates matched or greatly exceeded Smiths output on the weekend

WB: Smith - 9 disposals, 1 contested @55% DE, 1.0 (39% TOG)

GC: Powell - 14 disposals, 4 contested @77% DE, 2.0 (70% TOG)

RICH: Balta - 18 disposals, 8 contested @72% DE, 2.1 (77% TOG)

HAW: Golds - 25 disposals, 10 contested @68% DE (80%TOG)

HAW: Cousins - 29 disposals, 6 contested @ 79% DE (85% TOG)

HAW: Scrimshaw - 18 disposals, 7 contested @77% DE (83% TOG)

GWS: Caldwell - 14 disposals, 5 contested @50% DE, 2.0 (62% TOG)

GWS: Hately - 16 disposals, 4 contested @100% DE, 1.0 (66% TOG)

ADL: Jones - 7 disposals, 1 contested @100% DE, 1.0 (35% TOG)

PA: Butters - 25 disposals, 6 contested @72% DE (70% TOG)

NM: Davies-Uniacke - 27 disposals, 8 contested @70% DE (60% TOG)

NM: Scott - 21 disposals, 8 contested @76% DE (70% TOG)

WC: Allen - 13 disposals, 6 contested @84% DE, 3.1 (77% TOG)

GEE: Clarke - 21 disposals, 6 contested @71% DE (81% TOG)

CARL: Walsh - 28 disposals, 11 contested @75% DE, 0.2 (80% TOG)

CARL: Setterfield - 19 disposals, 9 contested @73% DE, 0.2 (73% TOG)

ESS: Ridley - 23 disposals, 3 contested @ 78% DE, (77% TOG)

Have probably missed a fair few as well

I'm not buying into any "generational talent" or "RS certainty" BS. That's just ridiculous.

What IS clear is that he looked bloody great for a newbie in JLT1 and did all one could ask for in a "debut".

Physically, he looks a bit like Cotchin with the slight hunch. Style-wise, a bit tricky to say. Clearly an absolute magnet - not as outside as Gaff, but some similarities.

What I did like was that his kicking looked pretty assured and neat for an 18yo. Disposal "hurt factor" was one of the slows on him, but it sure doesn't look like a liability. Maybe just not a glowing strength. Appeared more than "good enough" if he ends up being a guy who can get it 35 times.

Its hard to win flags and the blues are a long way back. I see it as a risk not taking the 'best player' if they see one of the SA lads having more upside

There is no way SOS would have picked Walsh on that basis. He would have taken Walsh as he was the best player in their rankings.

There is no way SOS would have picked Walsh on that basis. He would have taken Walsh as he was the best player in their rankings.

i respectfully disagree. Like dozens of Carlton and non Carlton fans have being saying in a number of related threads

Did you see Jordan Clarks first game against West Coast?

I've head a very strong whisper the Cats were selecting RCD until very late hour, in the draft. Other teams probable knew this and maybe this contributed to the Carlton drafting teams very strong reaction (happy) to the Stocker/trade. As the Geelong pick was only a coupel prior to the blues pulling the trigger

Geelong changed to clark quite late. might be a good choice too has lots of upside seemingly

Agree Smith has massive potential but a bit premature on the RS - A lot of newly drafted players or RS candidates matched or greatly exceeded Smiths output on the weekend

WB: Smith - 9 disposals, 1 contested @55% DE, 1.0 (39% TOG)

GC: Powell - 14 disposals, 4 contested @77% DE, 2.0 (70% TOG)

RICH: Balta - 18 disposals, 8 contested @72% DE, 2.1 (77% TOG)

HAW: Golds - 25 disposals, 10 contested @68% DE (80%TOG)

HAW: Cousins - 29 disposals, 6 contested @ 79% DE (85% TOG)

HAW: Scrimshaw - 18 disposals, 7 contested @77% DE (83% TOG)

GWS: Caldwell - 14 disposals, 5 contested @50% DE, 2.0 (62% TOG)

GWS: Hately - 16 disposals, 4 contested @100% DE, 1.0 (66% TOG)

ADL: Jones - 7 disposals, 1 contested @100% DE, 1.0 (35% TOG)

PA: Butters - 25 disposals, 6 contested @72% DE (70% TOG)

NM: Davies-Uniacke - 27 disposals, 8 contested @70% DE (60% TOG)

NM: Scott - 21 disposals, 8 contested @76% DE (70% TOG)

WC: Allen - 13 disposals, 6 contested @84% DE, 3.1 (77% TOG)

GEE: Clarke - 21 disposals, 6 contested @71% DE (81% TOG)

CARL: Walsh - 28 disposals, 11 contested @75% DE, 0.2 (80% TOG)

CARL: Setterfield - 19 disposals, 9 contested @73% DE, 0.2 (73% TOG)

ESS: Ridley - 23 disposals, 3 contested @ 78% DE, (77% TOG)

Have probably missed a fair few as well

Probably been underplayed how good LDU was on the weekend when you run it like that, considering he also had 6 clearances.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back