Sando sacked - confirmed **** crows only ****

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Now according to the media we look silly for sacking Sando now that Goody has gone to Melbourne.

They're just pissed they don't get to write the stories of the idiocy of sacking the coach to hire a board member's best mate and the resulting "boys club" jibes.
If my passion for politics has taught me anything it's that a healthy contempt for the media will never steer you wrong
The modern journalist is a precious, largely spineless character subsisting entirely on cozy relationships with insiders in whatever field they happen to work in. If they're ever forced to independently react to an event rather than acting as a glorified stenographer the results aren't pretty.

so-youre-telling-e6q3vv.jpg

I think most in the media are just unhappy things aren't handed to them on a plate

normally when a Victorian club cuts their coach there is speculation for weeks and lots of chunky stories of who will take over etc, the same as the Harvey/Lyon incident

This has sucked the life out of it, clean quick kill minimal speculation and limited idea of what next.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think most in the media are just unhappy things aren't handed to them on a plate

normally when a Victorian club cuts their coach there is speculation for weeks and lots of chunky stories of who will take over etc, the same as the Harvey/Lyon incident

This has sucked the life out of it, clean quick kill minimal speculation and limited idea of what next.

Yup and I love seeing them squirm and get annoyed about it. The impression from my club this week is we are not here to be liked. We are here to do what is best for the club and if that means not leaking anything or being pally pal with media then, done.

Yup and I love seeing them squirm and get annoyed about it. The impression from my club this week is we are not here to be liked. We are here to do what is best for the club and if that means not leaking anything or being pally pal with media then, done.

Shame it has taken 16 years of accepting mediocrity to get there!

Last edited:
Fox also reporting as has been mentioned on here the senior players reviews played a big part in the decision, all fine and good but one thing that has done is clearly put the onus on the players to produce now they have led to Sando's sacking. Now we will find out if indeed the playing group DO have character, the ball is in their court now!

Fine with this and I think they will perform much better under a gun coach. I am sure we have a gun lined up. It fits with Roo's MO. All along, for a year or two before he joined the board I kept hearing him say theres no point spending 10 million on players and then skimping on the off-field staff. We will get someone who is elite and the playing group will fire.

ok some goss that seems to add aup

1st... Walker and Danger were the major players in moving Sando... Makes a lot of sense when you think about it.. Danger will not be leaving now... The two were instrumental in drumming up support from the playing group... This comes from a players mouth who played almost every game this year...
2. This from a different source... Chapman will fall on his sword within 10 days
1. These two make sense and would have proved a powerful combination.

Just posted in the Bernie love thread, that of all the players Tex seems to demand the respect of everyone, board included.

Danger is an interesting one, he seems like a very switched on guy, and this kind of move shows he is keen to stay IMO. It would have been far easier for him to have walked to another club on big $$$, but obviously he thinks the current players are going to be a special group. Would also partially explain Danger's poor year.

Hopefully this has only galvanized the playing group. I reckon we are a shoe in for finals in 2015 now.

Hopefully we can get Leigh Matthews back to help us find our next coach...
Worked wonders last time

Interesting point

The main thing that stuck out for me from Chapman's presser was when he said it wasn't just about win/loss then immediately said it was about relationships and culture. Seemed to confirm everything we've heard

Meantime during the week Matthews was on 5AA talking about senior assistants etc and said he's a big believer in partnerships, two people working together to balance each other's strengths and weaknesses, and that he hoped Sando could get someone to do that. But the main thing is he referred to his partnership with Gubby Allen at Collingwood then Brisbane and said that where he was always the "grumpy coach" Allen was good at the relationship stuff so they made a good pair.

Maybe we needed Allen on the selection panel instead

1. These two make sense and would have proved a powerful combination.

Just posted in the Bernie love thread, that of all the players Tex seems to demand the respect of everyone, board included.

Danger is an interesting one, he seems like a very switched on guy, and this kind of move shows he is keen to stay IMO. It would have been far easier for him to have walked to another club on big $$$, but obviously he thinks the current players are going to be a special group. Would also partially explain Danger's poor year.

Hopefully this has only galvanized the playing group. I reckon we are a shoe in for finals in 2015 now.
If all the rumours are to be true it almost sounds as if Sando didn't pay the youngsters enough respect and have enough time for them which alienated them. This is both communication and selection.

As for the gun players players, he seemed to favour them but it seems as though they want someone to challenge them more. As you say Danger is switched on, maybe a coach who lets him do as he pleases he sees as not getting the best out of the team OR out of himself. The player revolt may actually signal a need for someone who demands respect, not holds their hand.

I know this is hindsight and I'm not meaning to kick a man when he's down..but it always surprised me when Sando would say that Sloane was his favourite. It's one thing when other players nominate him as the "teacher's pet" but thought it was a bit strange for the coach to openly agree rather than saying he doesn't have any favourites. He'd say "I love Sloaney, love so and so.." and I'd think "so how do the other players feel about hearing this?"

Anyway all done with now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back