SEASON 2020

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

As opposed to every other year........ Woori have had issues with Reserves for 10 years.
Good for Division 2 Broadford in the comp, the outer east clubs have 5 clubs in close proximity good for other sides ie Panton Hill would be an ideal fit.

Wouldn’t panic about Woori, they will be fine. Have a great history of being written off and then being very competitive. Losing the players to South Croydon is certainly going to hurt but going by what I am hearing they should be thereabouts again in 2020 - they always seem to fly under the radar.

Good for Division 2 Broadford in the comp, the outer east clubs have 5 clubs in close proximity good for other sides ie Panton Hill would be an ideal fit.
Panton Hill will never leave the NFL now, they're back in division two after winning the flag this year, have all the local teams around them in the same league due to Old Eltham Collegians crossing over (apart from Kinglake) and have increased their numbers in football & netball (also, there nowhere for the netballers to play on the Saturday apart from going to the Primary School across the road).

Ever since the Northern League introduced a Division 3, Panton Hill have improved tremendously.

Looking forward to seeing how Broadford go in 2020. 5 clubs now in that area, will be good for local rivalries
I've heard some weird rumours about a Seymour based competition with possibly Avenel & Longwood coming in (I know they'd rather stay in the Kyabram League, but you never know), but that could all be B.S

Hope the move works out for Broadford, the Heathcote League were never going to let them in again (especially now they have Lockington Bawamn & Leitchville Gunbower), the Northern League Division 3 was too far & would have split up their netball teams (that also would have been the case if they applied to join the Essendon League), the Kyabram League clubs were pretty unanimous in not letting them when they applied a few years ago because of travel (especially for Girgarre & Tallygaroopna), and the Riddell League wasn't a good fit because of the massive gap between the rural and suburban clubs.

That trip to Powelltown will be a nightmare though & I don't envy them one bit.

I've heard some weird rumours about a Seymour based competition with possibly Avenel & Longwood coming in (I know they'd rather stay in the Kyabram League, but you never know), but that could all be B.S

Hope the move works out for Broadford, the Heathcote League were never going to let them in again (especially now they have Lockington Bawamn & Leitchville Gunbower), the Northern League Division 3 was too far & would have split up their netball teams (that also would have been the case if they applied to join the Essendon League), the Kyabram League clubs were pretty unanimous in not letting them when they applied a few years ago because of travel (especially for Girgarre & Tallygaroopna), and the Riddell League wasn't a good fit because of the massive gap between the rural and suburban clubs.

That trip to Powelltown will be a nightmare though & I don't envy them one bit.
Very interesting times ahead...say the northern division goes ahead in 2021, with a few more new clubs joining from the central goulburn area...what happens with powelltown yarra junction yarra glen and warby, they would obviously go into division one Afloutereast,with that being said,I reckon powelltown would struggle to exist after a few seasons....kinglake is interesting too,do they stay in the new northern division Afloutereast or do they return too the northern football league, it's going to be interesting to watch it all play out.

Very interesting times ahead...say the northern division goes ahead in 2021, with a few more new clubs joining from the central goulburn area...what happens with powelltown yarra junction yarra glen and warby, they would obviously go into division one Afloutereast,with that being said,I reckon powelltown would struggle to exist after a few seasons....kinglake is interesting too,do they stay in the new northern division Afloutereast or do they return too the northern football league, it's going to be interesting to watch it all play out.
The whole thing is a bit of a mess at the moment, I'd be for just keeping things as they are and let fate sort it out, because I think the clubs wouldn't be too keen on shuffling the deck chairs again, especially after the YVMDFL absorbed the clubs from the South East.

The Northern League has approached Kinglake a few times to get them to go back to the NFL, but they seem to like having the Netball & Football together & they have a rivalry with Yea & Yarra Glen

Yarra Glen would probably go to the Eastern League division 5, if they're left stranded, but the rest of them, I wouldn't have a clue what'll happen there.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Broadford to Yarra Glen -78kms
Yarra Glen to Thornton - 78 kms
Road trip to Powelltown will be interesting for Broadford but only have to do it once a season
Can't see Kinglake moving back to Northern, especially with netball being a big part of the club and town
Panton Hill will stay in Northern, won Div 3 flag but will yo-yo between Div 2 and 3 with no juniors and always difficult to recruit into area
Looking forward to 2020 season already

The travel for Broadford is shorter than when they were in the Heathcote league and travelling to places like Lockington and Elmore. A good addition imo.

Kinglake are very happy and settled - no plans to leave at all.

Panton Hill have done well but having no juniors and needing to recruit to be competitive certainly can be challenging. Having a number of higher profile clubs nearby also doesn't help.

Last edited:
I see that AFL Victoria has scrapped the Interleague Community Championships.

Does that mean the H&A fixture will need to be revised (as they have already locked in some dates) or that some leagues that want to do it can go it alone? The YVMDFL was always keen on them but most of the player reps will now be coming from the SE clubs. I think it costs about 25K to stage a game.

Panton Hill will never leave the NFL now, they're back in division two after winning the flag this year, have all the local teams around them in the same league due to Old Eltham Collegians crossing over (apart from Kinglake) and have increased their numbers in football & netball (also, there nowhere for the netballers to play on the Saturday apart from going to the Primary School across the road).

Ever since the Northern League introduced a Division 3, Panton Hill have improved tremendously.
Agreed, Panton Hill is happy in the NFNL and realistically 15/20 minutes from league head quarters in montmorency so actually right in the heart land.

I see that AFL Victoria has scrapped the Interleague Community Championships.

Does that mean the H&A fixture will need to be revised (as they have already locked in some dates) or that some leagues that want to do it can go it alone? The YVMDFL was always keen on them but most of the player reps will now be coming from the SE clubs. I think it costs about 25K to stage a game.
Fixture was prepared with the knowledge that there was no interleague, so no need to revise.

Some great pick ups for Kinglake
Leigh Gilbert - North Heidelberg
Glenn Robertson - West Preston/Craigieburn
Matt Langford - Whittlesea
Nick Horman - Thomastown

Chapman back to Officer will be a great pick up as well
Played some great footy in Northern football league this year

Jarrod Bayliss to coach Mooroolbark is going to be a loss for Wandin. Had played some very good footy for the doggies over a number of years.

Jarrod Bayliss to coach Mooroolbark is going to be a loss for Wandin. Had played some very good footy for the doggies over a number of years.
Bloody hell they have lost a few now....are the replacing these player's?....because if there not....the league should do the rite thing and place them in division one

apart from the back half of last season, hadn’t he been at Park Orchards for a few years?

Bloody hell they have lost a few now....are the replacing these player's?....because if there not....the league should do the rite thing and place them in division one
They’ve been happy enough to piss all over the competition lowlights for years now, should have to take their medicine in premier and if they end up bottom of the ladder at the end of it and get relegated, so be it

They’ve been happy enough to piss all over the competition lowlights for years now, should have to take their medicine in premier and if they end up bottom of the ladder at the end of it and get relegated, so be it
Agree, Premier division needs 10 clubs and Wandin needs to be one of those teams. If they do struggle next year, as Healesville did this season, then they will drop to Division 1 the following year. They still have a strong core group. It would be unprecedented to allow a club to drop a division after having a 7-9 record and just missing finals.

I have concerns about valley clubs being able to compete with the SE suburban teams, particularly with depth in Reserves, but now that the merger has taken place we need to see it through the teething stages. I am impressed with the way that Woori, Upwey and Olinda have embraced the challenge and Wandin will have to do the same.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back