Where will the West Coast Eagles finish in 2023

• 1 - 4

• 5 - 8

• 9 - 12

• 12 - 16

• Bottom 2

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I’ve noticed you are a consistently negative poster regarding West Coast.

Understand 2022 was a very poor year but can I please suggest you change your style and look at some positives from the football club.

If you can’t see any, then maybe this isn’t the place for you.

I have the draft was a positive & mid season draft
Yeah, WA footy mad, don't have an opinion that varies from the rest, or leave!

Yeah, WA footy mad, don't have an opinion that varies from the rest, or leave!
Celebrate In Love GIF by HBO Max

O/K ill change my opinion pick all the senior players that played so well in 2020 & 2021 forget 2022 i'm basing my opinion on 20 & 21. With this group of players we are sure to make the top 4 because everyone keeps telling me so. These senior players will bring us glory again in the future. Does that sound better.

O/K ill change my opinion pick all the senior players that played so well in 2020 & 2021 forget 2022 i'm basing my opinion on 20 & 21. With this group of players we are sure to make the top 4 because everyone keeps telling me so. These senior players will bring us glory again in the future. Does that sound better.

Just going to put this super crazy thought out there for you to mull over. Put your side that has the best chance of winning out there every round. If injuries and form mean that a young player is pushing someone out of the side or getting opportunities that is how you build a strong side. If a senior player is looking tired or it's a 50/50 call between a 19yo and a 30+ year old than go with a young player but other than that, play the side most likely to win. Developing a winning culture where a player has to strive to make it in the side is what brings success.

There are no shortcuts.

Unless all our new recruits play the majority of the year. 2023 will be a wasted year. O/k your all going to say you need older players, i disagree unless we are competing for a grand final spot. Play all the young players and see who can play at a level required.

Play all the young fellas and they would get flogged every week.

How does that develop players and a competitive / winning culture?

And we spend half our salary cap on contracted players playing WAFL?

Lose money on attendence at games, lose members and sponsors.

And good young players are poached by successful teams playing mature leaders. That would really help wouldnt it.

Your idea TBH is terrible for so, so many reasons.

Not sure how you can see WCE winning 6 games, sure they get back Allen, Cole & added hunt who are all in our best 22. But the new recruits are going to take a while to have any impact. So apart from Allen, Cole & Hunt we have the same team from last year. Doesn't Rioli look super fit at port i wouldn't be surprised he has a terrific year sadly.

Players who didnt play or played seriously under done / injured in 2022.

Allen
Cole
Sheed
Chesser- forgot him initally.
L Edwards
Yeo
Clarke
West
Naitanui
McGovern
Duggan
Petrucelle
Gaff
SPS
Cripps
Darling missed half a season getting fit.
Trew

New

Hunt
Culley ( played 3 development games)

So there is where the improvement will come from, players being fit and available who werent in 2022.

Last edited:

Allen
Cole
Sheed
L Edwards
Yeo
Clarke
West
Naitanui
McGovern
Duggan
Petrucelle
Gaff
SPS
Cripps
Trew

New

Hunt

So there is where the improvement will come from, players being fit and available who werent in 2022.

And that's a full team, right there. If correct, that's 19 players. Bringing those players in will make a huge difference, along with Gibney, Hewitt, and Burgiel. That's why I see us pushing back into the 8 again, just.

Play all the young fellas and they would get flogged every week.

How does that develop players and a competitive / winning culture?

And we spend half our salary cap on contracted players playing WAFL?

Lose money on attendence at games, lose members and sponsors.

And good young players are poached by successful teams playing mature leaders. That would really help wouldnt it.

Your idea TBH is terrible for so, so many reasons.
You just needed to add this to your rant...

download.jpg

On SM-S908E using BigFooty.com mobile app

And that's a full team, right there. If correct, that's 19 players. Bringing those players in will make a huge difference, along with Gibney, Hewitt, and Burgiel. That's why I see us pushing back into the 8 again, just.

Other teams will improve as well so making the top 8 would be a major surprise.

Realistically who will we pass on the ladder is the issue.

I can see us having a better year than North, Essendon, Hawthorn and maybe Adelaide. Saint Kilda too.

After that the other sides are more advanced.

Again.....

Look at the AFL fixture....

View attachment 1578268

west coasts line is near the bottom. the eagles opponent Teams in Colour are home game and the eagles opponents in black and white are the away games.

So by the fixture from rounds 1 until eagles round 14 bye, theres at least 3 or 4 winnable home games the eagles can win. (Gaints, freo, blues, suns and bombers)

Probably could of said the same about last season fixtures at the start of the year

Other teams will improve as well so making the top 8 would be a major surprise.

Realistically who will we pass on the ladder is the issue.

I can see us having a better year than North, Essendon, Hawthorn and maybe Adelaide. Saint Kilda too.

After that the other sides are more advanced.
This is a good point and what makes ladder prediction so hard. I don't think there is actually a big gap between bottom 4 and the bottom part of the 8, so a good run with injury and competitive gameplan can see you jump quickly. In the last three seasons second last the year before has jumped up to at least 9th the next year.

In terms of who we can pass: I see Freo and Dogs out of the 8. Freo has lost depth, scoring and their gameplan was figured out in the backed of last year. Dogs lost midfield depth traded for average KPP, given they were lucky to make the 8, I see them finishing just outside.

The competition will come from the teams that missed the 8 who are improving. Lock Carlton in, the AFL has given them an easy draw and they would have made it last year if not for terrible injury luck. Port and Gold Coast are our main competition, I figure one of them takes the other spot (unless we do).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Allen
Cole
Sheed
L Edwards
Yeo
Clarke
West
Naitanui
McGovern
Duggan
Petrucelle
Gaff
SPS
Cripps
Trew

New

Hunt

Such was the issue with availability i think the Beagles were only averaging about 5 AFL listed players per game and due to the later entrance into the WAFL the rest of the team was made up of Ammo's & Country league players.

7-8 wins and seeing games into this years draftees and Hough, Chesser, Culley would be a reasonable result next year.
Yes we had a lot of good senior players out this year and they have been named by others but I wouldn’t be banking on Yeo, NN or Shuey playing 20+ games next year.
McGovern and Allen are massive ins but given the amount of footy Allen’s missed doubtful he’ll hit the ground running from Rd.1.
I can’t see us sneaking into the 8, as much as I’d like that. However we’d need to be 2-0 to be any chance as the next 4 after that look tough, doubt we’d start favourites in any of them.

7-8 wins and seeing games into this years draftees and Hough, Chesser, Culley would be a reasonable result next year.
Yes we had a lot of good senior players out this year and they have been named by others but I wouldn’t be banking on Yeo, NN or Shuey playing 20+ games next year.
McGovern and Allen are massive ins but given the amount of footy Allen’s missed doubtful he’ll hit the ground running from Rd.1.
I can’t see us sneaking into the 8, as much as I’d like that. However we’d need to be 2-0 to be any chance as the next 4 after that look tough, doubt we’d start favourites in any of them.

But Sumich said it is 10 wins or bust!

What a silly statement from sumich. Bust? What bust?

10 wins doesnt get you into finals anyway.

If we get 7-8 wins and are competitive in most others I wouldnt be unhappy after last seasons tripe.

If we get 7-8 wins and are competitive in most others I wouldnt be unhappy after last seasons tripe.
Yeah that does seem an odd thing to say by Sumich.
After the bye this year we were heaps more competitive, off the top of my head the Cats game away was the only really ugly blowout we had post-bye. And over the years we’ve taken plenty of better teams down there and had similar hidings.
I think we’ll win 5 or 6 at home and pinch 1 or 2 on the road next year. North first up being one of them.

Did Sumich actually say that or was that just the headline the West put on it?

I think what he was saying is that if you are going to prioritise older players for selection (and why would we have re - signed and retained them all if we weren't planning on playing them) and have one of the consistently oldest 22's in the competition on the park then 10 wins is the minimum mark for justifying doing that. There is no point getting 7 wins with a team of 30 year olds. They aren't going to get any better at that age. The 7 wins isn't going to turn into 12 wins the next year with the same 22 players. I think that that is a totally reasonable position.

While you clearly can't play youngsters who are not fit enough or physically developed enough to run out a game at AFL level in the seniors, I don't agree with the point that is constantly made here that we need the older players to teach the younger players. Isn't that what the coaches and development staff are paid to do? If you were a 30 year old player hoping for one more contract how kean would you be to train and teach somebody younger to replace you?

Whatever happens...I really don't want to finish 9th.

Still can't shake the feeling in my bones that we're going to go very deep into finals next year though.
Failing that I'd be great to somehow land Reid AND Curtain. Greedy Kent I am!
My thoughts exactly..... 9th specifically is the worst position you can finish unless you have a very young squad or unless you have an old squad that has massive upside.

Back