SEASON 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

What was interesting with Berwick is that they were always Berwick Football Club and not Berwick Football & Netball Club. When I was at OE it became apparent early on that footballers were going to look after their own interests and it was a case of "girls, you netballers do what you want to do but we're off to Eastern".

Mate footy in the outer south east is a disease. I call it a disease because it keeps spreading and infecting all those around it.

There has been zero leadership shown by anybody and it is getting on toward 20 years that it's been a mess, when it's been clear that leadership and planning has been needed in an area of rapid growth and urbanisation.

It infected the MPNFL and they literally cut it out and tossed it.

They formed their own SEFNL but again there was zero planning or leadership. Just the teams tossed together. No thought of growth. No thought of badly needed new clubs - no none of the existing clubs could survive without 100k population and four junior clubs each. Of course it died quickly.

Tooradin got out to the WGFNL but you can be assured they have well and truly put the walls up and want nothing to do with any of the other SE clubs.

It infected the YVMDFL, we all know what has happened there.

It's infected the SFNL, looks like Narre are going there, Cranbourne already are... that could be a solution, but who knows - after saying they had finally found their long-term home in the SFNL and aren't going to be wasting their time with MPFNL again... 12 months later they are applying to join the MPFNL!! And they're knocked back, of course.

It's reached the EFNL... the stupid inclusion of Berwick and Beaconsfield, miles and miles out of their territory. Berwick are now unbelievably a problem club, uncompetitive and struggling for numbers. The inclusions also meant there was no promotions last year, so Boronia are playing way below their station and have destroyed a division for a year.

It's just nuts... and should be a booming area. Somehow it's the opposite.
Well said

Apparently powellys trainers have worked around the clock this week to get the 18 injuries from last Thursday fit and ready for this week
jakellloooyd :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy: seville should just be given the 4 points. League should make sure Powelly has enough players for 2 teams to travel to Yea the following week. Players can't decide which week they are and aren't going to play

Looking at some of the names in Round 1, they should have fielded a seniors and Vets teams rather than seniors and reserves!!

Looking at some of the names in Round 1, they should have fielded a seniors and Vets teams rather than seniors and reserves!!
ManInWhite either way, they put their hand up saying they would be able to field 2 teams and couldn't even get to round 3. The BF experts said they should have pulled the pin but club refused to (which is their right) but it impacted on Alex significantly on the weekend who had arranged an ANZAC Day event, to be told on Friday that both teams were giving forfeits is a disgrace.
Well done to Powelly netballers though who made the trip and played the games.

What was interesting with Berwick is that they were always Berwick Football Club and not Berwick Football & Netball Club. When I was at OE it became apparent early on that footballers were going to look after their own interests and it was a case of "girls, you netballers do what you want to do but we're off to Eastern".

Structures vary between country clubs, some are combined football and netball clubs while others (like Berwick and Beaconsfield) are seperate clubs that work together and share fixtures.

In Beaconsfield’s case the netballers alleged that they weren’t even told the football club was leaving. They read about it in the media.

ManInWhite either way, they put their hand up saying they would be able to field 2 teams and couldn't even get to round 3. The BF experts said they should have pulled the pin but club refused to (which is their right) but it impacted on Alex significantly on the weekend who had arranged an ANZAC Day event, to be told on Friday that both teams were giving forfeits is a disgrace.
Well done to Powelly netballers though who made the trip and played the games.

Hang on here. We’re thanking teams for fulfilling their obligations to attend their fixtured games now.

FFS end this now.

Powelltown will fold for the year before clearances close .... now it's just a wait game to see how long the league let them drag it out and how much damage is done to the season for everyone else while we wait.

Again, for clarification, are you saying the committee was well aware of this decision by the players? They knew beforehand? Or did the players/ coaches make the decision and then inform the committee of the majority decision?
It seems very weird to me that any committee would agree to such a thing.

So the players chose not to go up and play?

Didn’t the Powelltown committee guaranteed to the league & competition that they had 2 sides for the season?

This is a debacle that has to be taken out of Powelltowns hands by the league now.

So the players chose not to go up and play?

Didn’t the Powelltown committee guaranteed to the league & competition that they had 2 sides for the season?

This is a debacle that has to be taken out of Powelltowns hands by the league now.

The players voted FFS.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see any plausible reason at all for playing group to be asked to vote whether or not to forfeit a senior match.

Clubs are obligated to field teams each week (I am sure it is noted somewhere as part of their terms of affiliation). If they have enough to field only one team then so be it, they forfeit the reserves. But you cannot tell me that they had so many players unavailable that they could not even put one team on the park last weekend.

As The Red Door said, the league need to step up on this issue and show leadership.

Clubs do not have the right to choose whether to forfeit a match here and a match there because they might get soundly beaten. This scenario is making a mockery of the competition and the actions of the club and the league have the potential to cause a team to miss the finals or the double chance on percentage due to these forfeits. I would love to know how many players were registered for the league to give them green light to field two teams.

We're all wildly guessing on the outside but I reckon there's a bit more to it than just being scared of copping a hiding from a team miles away and choosing who they decide they'll play. On paper they'll probably suffer a beating most weeks whether home or away. Especially once winter and injuries kick in. A few of the Powelly people have hinted here of an us vs them dynamic with the committee and I'm wondering whether players are taking a stand due to not feeling supported by their committee? I know a few current and past players who have nothing good to say about a senior member at the club.

We're all wildly guessing on the outside but I reckon there's a bit more to it than just being scared of copping a hiding from a team miles away and choosing who they decide they'll play. On paper they'll probably suffer a beating most weeks whether home or away. Especially once winter and injuries kick in. A few of the Powelly people have hinted here of an us vs them dynamic with the committee and I'm wondering whether players are taking a stand due to not feeling supported by their committee? I know a few current and past players who have nothing good to say about a senior member at the club.
Not far off mate
The committee and who you are referring to has pulled the wool over the leagues eyes, now it's catching up with them.
The majority of the registered players have only put their hand up to help out the reserves and only the reserves. Now we are being told to play Seniors which we have no interest in.
Going forward unless we get an influx of 12 or more senior players these forfeits will continue to happen. Regardless of what our club leaders say.

Not far off mate
The committee and who you are referring to has pulled the wool over the leagues eyes, now it's catching up with them.
The majority of the registered players have only put their hand up to help out the reserves and only the reserves. Now we are being told to play Seniors which we have no interest in.
Going forward unless we get an influx of 12 or more senior players these forfeits will continue to happen. Regardless of what our club leaders say.

One question Itchy not sure I want to know the answer as I will be even more pissed.

Did Powelltown have enough to field a senior side but voted not to?

Simple

If I'm the league I have all registered players' details in Play HQ

I'm making a quick call to each of them to work out what is really going on and whether teams can be fielded in coming weeks
  • Yes I'm playing whenever I'm fit, in any grade
  • No I am not playing again
  • I am happy to play in the reserves but that's it
  • I may be able to play a game or two across the year to help out, but that's it
Then I have all the information I need to make a proper decision and move forward

I would have the correct way to move forward in a day or two

Simple

If I'm the league I have all registered players' details in Play HQ

I'm making a quick call to each of them to work out what is really going on and whether teams can be fielded in coming weeks
  • Yes I'm playing whenever I'm fit, in any grade
  • No I am not playing again
  • I am happy to play in the reserves but that's it
  • I may be able to play a game or two across the year to help out, but that's it
Then I have all the information I need to make a proper decision and move forward

I would have the correct way to move forward in a day or two

Round three forfeit didn't answer any of those questions for them??????:mad::mad::mad:

If the league are to make a call, it must be this week.

As touched on earlier, besides the huge fact that it could cost a team the chance of playing finals.
It also affect’s every award in the comp,
league BNF votes, leading goal kicker. not to mention the huge percentage clubs will get from playing them…..

I wonder if those people who were throwing insults around last Thursday towards players not wanting to play, were willing to pull the boots on themselves?

Round three forfeit didn't answer any of those questions for them??????:mad::mad::mad:

Covered by bullet point 3 I think.

The issue as I see it - lets say 30 players are registered and available / not injured. But 25 of them say we'll only play reserves or nothing. The league can't force players to play in seniors and the rules don't allow a higher grade to forfeit whilst a lower grade plays.

The club would have to lean / urge the players to reconsider but even if you had 40 players say I'm happy to play magoos but not seniors, it's basically the same as saying you have zero players available.

ManInWhite - the league need to get that fact clarified by the club, pronto.

Then they need to make a decision, as pronto as possible after collating these facts.

If they forfeit another senior game in the same fashion this season then they have to be punted for the rest of the season for the sake of the integrity of the competition.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back