Official Match Thread Season 36 Round 16 - Gold City Royals v Gumbies FFC @ Outback Arena

Remove this Banner Ad

qooty2survive.png

Season 36, Round 16.

August the 6th, 2023 saw the opening of the 36th season of Sweet F.A, and it’s been an adventure since with threads spammed, games won, drama unfolded and plenty of penalty points given way.

Now, to stay in the hunt for the premiership, teams must Qooty to Survive.

Qooty2Surive2.PNG

A recap on the path to a premiership so far.

royals.png

The Gold City Royals had an impressive off-season recruiting handsomely with caesar88 and Brenton Davy the headline names.
Their first round could have been thrown out as a mistake after falling by just seven points to the Dragons especially when a 79-point whopping of the Fighting Furies established them as possible premiership contenders. GreyCrow and Memphis had fantastic games and set expectations to continue the momentum from this game to the rest of the season.

Trending Downwards:

First, it was the Gumbies, who got over them by three points.
Second, it was East Side Phoenix, with nine points in between them.
The Bears by 26-points, the Warriors by eight and the Swamprats by 32 were the next three losses to count up to a six game losing streak and a submission of a plea of help from the bottom of the ladder.

Trending Upwards?:

Round eight saw the Gold City Royals snap their losing streak and get a victory over the Ophidian Old Boys by just ten points.
After a huge win against the West Coast Wonders in round nine with CakeEater kicking five majors on the way to a fifty point win all of a sudden the Royals had confidence in their stride and thought they could make a miraculous comeback. It was even enough to get off the bottom of the ladder with some assistance from Spotswood incompetence.
The question marks came back in the 11th and 12th round once they dropped games to the Mount Buller Demons and Baghdad Bombers.

Coming Home Strong:

The Royals were able to hold on in the final quarter of round 13 to be one point winners against the Roys and a week later, FootyGuy13 impressed with 25 disposals to help them to a 10 point win and keep their finals hopes alive.

In round 16, The Royals need the Roys and Dragons to lose to play finals.

Statistic Leaders:
Hit Outs: GreyCrow (83)
Kicks: krakouers (125)
Handballs: CakeEater (121)
Marks: Brenton Davy (63)
Tackles: Membling (63)
Goals: grumbleguts (36.19)
Dream Team: Membling (938)

gumbies.png

An embarrassing loss to the Baghdad Bombers in the season 35 elimination final was exactly the right amount of motivation to hit the ground running in season 36 but it was a rough start with a 63-point loss to the Las Vegas Bears but GWS Goose was able to set the standard for the season to follow.

Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back:

Round two was a step in the right direction for the season 36 version of the Gumbies with rye and Mop joining forces for three goals each to register their teams first win of the season against the Roys by 33.
Mop was again prevalent in round three against the Gold City Royals when the Gumbies took another step forward with a three point victory. At this stage they were able to found a spot at fifth.

After round five they were back where they started with a step back in round four with a loss against the Ophidian Old Boys and another step back in round five with a big loss against the Baghdad Bombers by 55 points to have them back at the bottom of the eight.

Keeping Your Head:

A five goal match from Chat Pile against the West Coast Wonders to win by 25 points started the streak with another four goals against the Dragons able to be put towards a 34 point victory. That made it two in a row.
Another eight goals against the Fighting Furies from Chat Pile made it 17 goals across three wins with wins against the Mount Buller Demons and East Side Phoenix rounding out a five game win streak that saw the Gumbies finish round ten at the top of the ladder and arguably the season 36 premiership favourites.

The Last Four:

Once the Gumbies gained the title of premiership favourites there was only one way for them to go. Down.
The Coney Island Warriors stepped up to the plate in round 11 and slaughtered the Gumbies defence sending them back to their beds after a 102 point drumming.
A win against the Sin City Swamprats came next and a loss against the Fighting Furies wasn’t enough to threaten the Gumbies top spot.
Heading into their last home and away match, the Gumbies have clinched a finals berth but must win to claim the minor premiership.

Statistic Leaders:
Hit Outs: Falconista (78)
Kicks: Barrybran (116)
Handballs: Barrybran, nobbyiscool (104)
Marks: nobbyiscool (66)
Tackles: GWS Goose (59)
Goals: Chat Pile (28.14)
Dream Team: GWS Goose (842)

Captains, please be aware that the team sheet for your team must be submitted by 11:59 AWST on Thursday.

Nice writeup AnUltimateRessie, you're having quite the season and doing the 'class of 33' proud.

Hello Royals. Congratulations on being scandal-free for a while. Amazing what hiding Prince Andrew does.

Nice writeup AnUltimateRessie, you're having quite the season and doing the 'class of 33' proud.

Hello Royals. Congratulations on being scandal-free for a while. Amazing what hiding Prince Andrew does.
Not much of a hiding place actually, although there's not much room in the car boot when I go shopping.

View attachment 1847497

Season 36, Round 16.

August the 6th, 2023 saw the opening of the 36th season of Sweet F.A, and it’s been an adventure since with threads spammed, games won, drama unfolded and plenty of penalty points given way.

Now, to stay in the hunt for the premiership, teams must Qooty to Survive.

View attachment 1847498

A recap on the path to a premiership so far.

View attachment 1847499

The Gold City Royals had an impressive off-season recruiting handsomely with caesar88 and Brenton Davy the headline names.
Their first round could have been thrown out as a mistake after falling by just seven points to the Dragons especially when a 79-point whopping of the Fighting Furies established them as possible premiership contenders. GreyCrow and Memphis had fantastic games and set expectations to continue the momentum from this game to the rest of the season.

Trending Downwards:

First, it was the Gumbies, who got over them by three points.
Second, it was East Side Phoenix, with nine points in between them.
The Bears by 26-points, the Warriors by eight and the Swamprats by 32 were the next three losses to count up to a six game losing streak and a submission of a plea of help from the bottom of the ladder.

Trending Upwards?:

Round eight saw the Gold City Royals snap their losing streak and get a victory over the Ophidian Old Boys by just ten points.
After a huge win against the West Coast Wonders in round nine with CakeEater kicking five majors on the way to a fifty point win all of a sudden the Royals had confidence in their stride and thought they could make a miraculous comeback. It was even enough to get off the bottom of the ladder with some assistance from Spotswood incompetence.
The question marks came back in the 11th and 12th round once they dropped games to the Mount Buller Demons and Baghdad Bombers.

Coming Home Strong:

The Royals were able to hold on in the final quarter of round 13 to be one point winners against the Roys and a week later, FootyGuy13 impressed with 25 disposals to help them to a 10 point win and keep their finals hopes alive.

In round 16, The Royals need the Roys and Dragons to lose to play finals.

Statistic Leaders:
Hit Outs: GreyCrow (83)
Kicks: krakouers (125)
Handballs: CakeEater (121)
Marks: Brenton Davy (63)
Tackles: Membling (63)
Goals: grumbleguts (36.19)
Dream Team: Membling (938)

View attachment 1847501

An embarrassing loss to the Baghdad Bombers in the season 35 elimination final was exactly the right amount of motivation to hit the ground running in season 36 but it was a rough start with a 63-point loss to the Las Vegas Bears but GWS Goose was able to set the standard for the season to follow.

Two Steps Forward, Two Steps Back:

Round two was a step in the right direction for the season 36 version of the Gumbies with rye and Mop joining forces for three goals each to register their teams first win of the season against the Roys by 33.
Mop was again prevalent in round three against the Gold City Royals when the Gumbies took another step forward with a three point victory. At this stage they were able to found a spot at fifth.

After round five they were back where they started with a step back in round four with a loss against the Ophidian Old Boys and another step back in round five with a big loss against the Baghdad Bombers by 55 points to have them back at the bottom of the eight.

Keeping Your Head:

A five goal match from Chat Pile against the West Coast Wonders to win by 25 points started the streak with another four goals against the Dragons able to be put towards a 34 point victory. That made it two in a row.
Another eight goals against the Fighting Furies from Chat Pile made it 17 goals across three wins with wins against the Mount Buller Demons and East Side Phoenix rounding out a five game win streak that saw the Gumbies finish round ten at the top of the ladder and arguably the season 36 premiership favourites.

The Last Four:

Once the Gumbies gained the title of premiership favourites there was only one way for them to go. Down.
The Coney Island Warriors stepped up to the plate in round 11 and slaughtered the Gumbies defence sending them back to their beds after a 102 point drumming.
A win against the Sin City Swamprats came next and a loss against the Fighting Furies wasn’t enough to threaten the Gumbies top spot.
Heading into their last home and away match, the Gumbies have clinched a finals berth but must win to claim the minor premiership.

Statistic Leaders:
Hit Outs: Falconista (78)
Kicks: Barrybran (116)
Handballs: Barrybran, nobbyiscool (104)
Marks: nobbyiscool (66)
Tackles: GWS Goose (59)
Goals: Chat Pile (28.14)
Dream Team: GWS Goose (842)

Captains, please be aware that the team sheet for your team must be submitted by 11:59 AWST on Thursday.
I didn't know FootyGuy13 was a Royal.

It's a very simple equation Royals.

I even got grumbleguts to check my work.

Grumbles (in form mind you ) kicks 8 and we win by 35+ and we might play finals.

Ee can't do any more than win
Would wanna kick straighter than last game…

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's a very simple equation Royals.

I even got grumbleguts to check my work.

Grumbles (in form mind you ) kicks 8 and we win by 35+ and we might play finals.

Ee can't do any more than win
That's loser talk.

You could win and sabotage your fellow contenders. We can help if you'd like? Let down some tyres? Slip some Metamucil in their drinks? Shrink all their shorts so they feel exposed?

Anything really.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little Jackson-ish today.

I've been pretty rubbish most of the season so it might be time for me to bag myself a hattrick. And three Mobbs votes.

Anyway, I'm feeling a little Jackson-ish today.

I've been pretty rubbish most of the season so it might be time for me to bag myself a hattrick. And three Mobbs votes.
I'd take being average if my team was on top of the ladder.

Hi Gumbies Hi Royals.

I may be slightly inactive this week- just celebrating baby no.2.

Yes he likes cake as well
Congratulations!!! I hope mum and bubs are both doing well!

I'd take being average if my team was on top of the ladder.
Not if you're a Gumby.

That's why GWS Goose plays for all the glory. He gets all the accolades while the rest of us wake up in a cold sweat anticipating another straight-sets exit.

This line is the SFA equivalent of trope movie line: "I've done the math, and it checks out."
That's what Barrybran said the other week.

"Top 4 sewn up. Another failed finals campaign. I've done the math, and it checks out."

Remove this Banner Ad

Back