Official Match Thread Season 37 Round 13 - Gold City Royals v Baghdad Bombers at The Golden Throne

Remove this Banner Ad

His s**t was ****ed up..... it killed him.
It was weird how he wrote the song before he was diagnosed.
In interviews, Zevon described a lifelong phobia of doctors and said he seldom consulted one. He had started working out, and he looked physically fit. Shortly before playing at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival in 2002, he started feeling dizzy and developed a chronic cough. After a period of suffering with pain and shortness of breath, Zevon was encouraged by his dentist to see a physician; he was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma, a cancer (usually caused by exposure to asbestos) that affects the pleura, a thin membrane around the lungs and chest lining. Zevon was deeply shaken by the news and began drinking again after 17 years of sobriety.[25]

Although Zevon never revealed where he may have been exposed to asbestos, his son Jordan suggests that it came from Zevon's childhood, playing in the attic of his father's carpet store in Arizona. Refusing treatments he believed might incapacitate him, Zevon instead began recording his final album, The Wind, which includes performances by close friends including Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh, David Lindley, Billy Bob Thornton, Emmylou Harris, Tom Petty, and Dwight Yoakam. At the request of the music television channel VH1, documentarian Nick Read was given access to the sessions and made the television film Inside Out: Warren Zevon.[26]

Browne holding a guitar and smiling Friend Jackson Browne reunited with Zevon for his final album
On October 30, 2002, Zevon was featured alone on an episode of the Late Show with David Letterman as the only guest for the entire hour. The band played "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" as his introduction. Zevon performed several songs and spoke at length about his illness. Zevon had been a frequent guest and occasional substitute bandleader on Letterman's television shows since Late Night was first broadcast in 1982. He noted, "I might have made a tactical error in not going to a physician for 20 years." It was during this broadcast that, when asked by Letterman if he knew something more about life and death now, he first offered his oft-quoted insight that people need to "enjoy every sandwich."[23] He also thanked Letterman for his years of support, calling him "the best friend my music's ever had". For his final song of the evening, and his final public performance, Zevon performed "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" at Letterman's request. In the green room after the show, Zevon presented Letterman with the guitar that he always used on the show, with a single request: "Here, I want you to have this, take good care of it.

Speaking of worms ….

View attachment 1969531

How’s that worm in the Mezcal treating you Mesc ?

View attachment 1969530

Not the Mezcal i'm associated with man....Think more Fear and Loathing. ;)

Let me know if you'd like a sample.

fear and loathing in las vegas GIF

Hello all and welcome to the thirteenth round of the thirty seventh season of the Sweet FA, I’m your host Chef Bob coming to you live from the Golden Throne. This week we see the Gold City Royals host the Baghdad Bombers in a match that will certainly go down in history as an example of simulated football. Qooty I believe they call it. Odd looking concept, but there’s something about it. Almost hypnotic. Tell you what I like though, and that’s scran.

“What the heck is scran anyway, Chef Bob?” I hear you type. A fair and relevant question it is too. It has a few different yet related meanings, but the most common one refers to food of questionable quality. Originating in the north of England and Scotland, it has been popularised in recent times when describing fast food served at sporting venues. And today friends I hijack this week’s match thread opening posts by bringing to you several examples of the food served up at qooty grounds around Sweet, this time from the Golden Throne.

Sweet, I give to you…

View attachment 1967918

There’s a place to the north of Sweet called Golden Valley, and in Golden Valley is the Golden Throne. The Golden Throne is the home ground of the Gold City Royals. That’s a lot of gold by anyone’s estimation, and the qooty scran on offer reflects this. So much so that noted Gold City fan Chris Martin wrote a song about the Royals’ scran when he sang “…and it was all yellow”. Bear Grylls is also a big fan apparently. Take a look at some of these offerings:

There’s the cheesy chips (CM6.95 or CM12.95 with a plastic cup of golden ale):

View attachment 1967926

There’s the Bless This Mess (CM21.95):

View attachment 1967927

And there’s…um… whatever this is (CM19.95):

View attachment 1967930

Chef Bob’s Scran Rating:

View attachment 1967932

Regarding the qooty, the Royals are 5th place on the ladder with a record of 6 & 5 and the Bombers are 13th with a record of 3 & 8 so let’s go with that sure why not – Royals by 42.

Players to watch out for are [checks notes] GreyCrow Brenton Davy Restricted Free Agent (hahaha thought you could escape being tagged hey smiley???) norway blue Pugsley & gab213.

Captains please do the needful before midnight WA Bias time this coming Friday 1.

Bon Appétit, friends!​
chef-happy.gif

His s**t was ****ed up..... it killed him.
It was weird how he wrote the song before he was diagnosed.
He wrote & recorded “Don’t Let Us Get Sick” before he was diagnosed as well. He had no way of knowing that it would end up being a premonition, but a lot of his devotees think that deep down he knew somehow

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thought my membership had expired AND would be forking out for a new battery.

Ended up that after the guy started the engine, I just had to leave the car running in the garage for half an hour.

Cost me nothing.

Winning
Except $635.00 worth of fuel to run the car for 30 minutes.

In interviews, Zevon described a lifelong phobia of doctors and said he seldom consulted one. He had started working out, and he looked physically fit. Shortly before playing at the Edmonton Folk Music Festival in 2002, he started feeling dizzy and developed a chronic cough. After a period of suffering with pain and shortness of breath, Zevon was encouraged by his dentist to see a physician; he was diagnosed with pleural mesothelioma, a cancer (usually caused by exposure to asbestos) that affects the pleura, a thin membrane around the lungs and chest lining. Zevon was deeply shaken by the news and began drinking again after 17 years of sobriety.[25]

Although Zevon never revealed where he may have been exposed to asbestos, his son Jordan suggests that it came from Zevon's childhood, playing in the attic of his father's carpet store in Arizona. Refusing treatments he believed might incapacitate him, Zevon instead began recording his final album, The Wind, which includes performances by close friends including Bruce Springsteen, Don Henley, Jackson Browne, Timothy B. Schmit, Joe Walsh, David Lindley, Billy Bob Thornton, Emmylou Harris, Tom Petty, and Dwight Yoakam. At the request of the music television channel VH1, documentarian Nick Read was given access to the sessions and made the television film Inside Out: Warren Zevon.[26]

Browne holding a guitar and smiling Friend Jackson Browne reunited with Zevon for his final album
On October 30, 2002, Zevon was featured alone on an episode of the Late Show with David Letterman as the only guest for the entire hour. The band played "I'll Sleep When I'm Dead" as his introduction. Zevon performed several songs and spoke at length about his illness. Zevon had been a frequent guest and occasional substitute bandleader on Letterman's television shows since Late Night was first broadcast in 1982. He noted, "I might have made a tactical error in not going to a physician for 20 years." It was during this broadcast that, when asked by Letterman if he knew something more about life and death now, he first offered his oft-quoted insight that people need to "enjoy every sandwich."[23] He also thanked Letterman for his years of support, calling him "the best friend my music's ever had". For his final song of the evening, and his final public performance, Zevon performed "Roland the Headless Thompson Gunner" at Letterman's request. In the green room after the show, Zevon presented Letterman with the guitar that he always used on the show, with a single request: "Here, I want you to have this, take good care of it.

Im reading this thinking this is a great parody of our teammate Zevon and I'm thinking he has gone through some ****ed up s**t

I was crying I was laughing then I was angry - ANGRY that YOU yes YOU tricked me and it was about a real person

But I digress this is his best song - this may be my funeral song if I can move my finger to hit play

Remove this Banner Ad

Back