Teams Seattle Seahawks - The 12th Man

Remove this Banner Ad

2017-0720-CUSA-AlexMcGough.jpg

Cursed that Penny might be. Carroll said the same thing about Rawls (who I drafted) and after some massive games he got badly injured and shipped out in favor for another UDFA in Carson (who I drafted in fantasy) and HE got badly injured after a couple of strong games and Carrol has already shipped him off despite being healthy for Penny who he just declared the same thing he did the other two. Ok, maybe it's me who is cursing these Seahawks RBs. If I draft him and same thing happens.

Both coach Pete Carroll and GM John Schneider referred to first-round pick Rashaad Penny as a "three-down back" after drafting him.

It's particularly notable because Penny wasn't a high-volume receiver at San Diego State and was inconsistent in pass protection. Schneider said the Seahawks loved Penny so much they nearly drafted him at No. 18, but were able to find a trade partner and dip to No. 27, where they selected Penny. Schneider and Carroll did say Penny will have to iron out his blocking ups and downs, but Penny is markered in as Seattle's new bellcow.

Source: Scott Barrett on Twitter

So, 1st pre-season game is done. It was interesting watching mainly the young guys with the 1st string getting very little snaps. Having watched it, these are my thoughts:

The offence looked so much better and with the 1 drive Russell played we moved the ball brilliantly. It looked okay with the backups too. Penny was very good I thought. I'm hoping Vannett gets a lot more snaps this season and if this game was anything to go by he is defo going to be our number 1 TE.

The defence on the other hand I thought were crap. There seemed to be the same problem as last season giving up the easy 3rd downs. Hopefully this changes when the 1st string defence comes in but the inability of our backups to defend on 3rd down against the Colt's backups doesn't really fill me with confidence.

That first drive gave me hope for the season.
Chris Carson looks the goods, and if he stays fit, we may actually have a running game this year. That's enough to get me excited.

Early days for the rooks, but they are showing some early promise. Green is raw but showed a lot of potential in that game. Only hearing good things about Dissly. And the feel good story of Shaquem rolls on, the man has some closing speed.

It's all about Michael Dickson though. He'll push out Ryan to be the no.1 punter and win 1-2 extra games just from punt fumbles.

Only drawback is it looks like injuries going to force Carroll to use Ifedi as starter which means half a dozen extra flags a game.

Going for a 10-6 season prediction.

K.J. Wright to miss a few weeks, clearing way for Shaquem Griffin
Posted by Darin Gantt on August 30, 2018, 5:47 AM EDT
gettyimages-1017138554-e1535622388359.jpg

Getty Images

One of the feel-good stories of the offseason is going to have an opportunity to take center stage in the regular season opener.

With Seahawks linebacker K.J. Wright expected to be out at least two weeks, the door is open for rookie linebacker Shaquem Griffin fo start in his place when Seattle opens the season at Denver on Sept. 9.

That’s an amazing rise for a player who wasn’t even initially invited to the Scouting Combine, but one that obvious mistake was corrected stole the show. He ran a 4.38-second 40-yard dash, but his 20 reps of the 225-bench press might have been most impressive, since he has one hand. Griffin’s left hand was amputated when he was 4 years old because of amniotic band syndrome.

The Seahawks have used him extensively in the preseason to get him ready for his role.

“I want to see him continue to get better and clean things up and make sure he’s really accountable,” Carroll said of Griffin, via Brady Henderson of ESPN.com. “He’s a running-and-hitting guy. We ain’t worried about that. It’s just making sure he’s really playing the scheme really well and is really precise about all his fits and all that. . . .

“We’d like to be able to use his speed and his range and all that, so he’s working really hard at it. He’s been a very astute worker, been a really sharp communicator and all that stuff. A lot of good things are positive, and now we’d just like to see him put it all together again. He’ll have another big week next week and we’ll hopefully add to that.”

Wright had arthroscopic surgery on his knee Monday, and when Carroll was asked how much time he’d miss, replied: “They talked about a couple weeks. It was the most optimistic we could be.”

Two weeks from the procedure would be the day after opener, so Griffin could be in the starting lineup for at least the first game.

Seahawks waived CB Mike Tyson, LB, D.J. Alexander, CB Elijah Battle, OT Isaiah Battle, OG Willie Beavers, CB Jeremy Boykins, WR Marvin Bracy, TE Kyle Carter, WR Amara Darboh, LB Josh Forrest, WR Cyril Grayson, C Marcus Henry, RB Gerald Holmes, DT Joey Ivie, FS Lorenzo Jerome, CB Akeem King, RB Daniel Marx, QB Alex McGough, OG Skyler Phillips, LB Jacob Pugh, CB Trovon Reed, WR Keenan Reynolds, OG Jordan Roos, WR Caleb Scott, TE Tyrone Swoopes, RB Justin Stockton, WR Damore’ea Stringfellow, WR Malik Turner and TE Clayton Wilson.

That brings Seattle's roster to 53. The Seahawks also waived/injured DE Ricky Ali’ifua, LB Emmanuel Beal and S T.J. Mutcherson while releasing S Maurice Alexander. QB Austin Davis, OT Jamarco Jones, CB Byron Maxwell and LB Erik Walden have been placed on injured reserve.
Related: Seahawks

Source: seahawks.com

With “crucial year” starting, one more look at how Seahawks came apart
Posted by Josh Alper on September 7, 2018, 1:07 PM EDT
gettyimages-630775682-e1536340044286.jpg

Getty Images

Stories of dysfunction and disagreements inside the Seahawks over the last couple of seasons are nothing new and the initial denials of rifts within the team gave way to a tacit acknowledgement that the mix needed to change this year.

The Seahawks overhauled much of their roster this offseason and said farewell to many of the key defensive pieces that helped them win a Super Bowl after the 2013 season. Some of those players spoke to Greg Bishop and Robert Klemko of SI.com for another look back at how things fell apart in Seattle over the last couple of years.

The stories they tell are familiar. There’s dismay about the decision not to run Marshawn Lynch against the Patriots at the end of a Super Bowl loss, disputes over how some members of the defense treated quarterback Russell Wilson and, per former Seahawk Tony McDaniel, discussion of how players “just stopped responding” to head coach Pete Carroll.

Anecdotes similar to ones that have been circulating for a while paint a picture of growing resentment about the way Carroll treated Wilson. The rift got bigger and bigger until Carroll and General Manager John Schneider decided to seriously shift the makeup of the roster heading into this season. As wide receiver Doug Baldwin notes, the year to come will serve as a referendum on the direction the team is taking now.

“This is a crucial year, marking a new era of Seahawks football,” Baldwin said. “The jury is still out on what’s to come.”

The first answers will come on Sunday afternoon in Denver.

We were bloody terrible and the fact we could have won is mind boggling. 3rd down (particularly 3rd and long) is still a massive problem and until that gets sorted then we can forget about being a play off team.

Dissly was awesome and it was nice to actually use the TE for once.

The Bronco's winning TD should not have stood. To me his foot was clearly out of bounds and the fact that it stood because they changed the call on the field should have Pete fuming.

Bad call against us at the end but if we won, I think we wouldn't be talking about some of our issues yesterday. The fact we were still in the game was a good sign but we need to fix up a lot to be a finals team. No 3 and outs, Russ wasn't good........this team has a lot of improvement so it they can improve some of those things during the week, we might be a chance. Starting the year with two away games, if we took 1 win I would be happy.

Dickson is a positive - really hope we aren't punting too much though

Dissly, Dickson, Earl and Mcdougald positives for me.
That Lockett TD was a thing of beauty.

Wilson looked slow as hell. Kept going backwards when there were options to step up.

I am really worried about Ifedi lining up against Mack next week.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Both KJ and Wagner didnt train yesterday.
Looks like LB duties to be shared between Shaquem and Calitro.

Doug looks to be out against the bears as well, and question marks over flowers and fluker.

Lucky that Trubisky isn't that good a QB or it could get really ugly on Tuesday.

2 games in and I am already thinking what is the point of watching at the moment. It is the same thing every year. Give up easy 3rd and 4th downs, Russell holds the ball for too long and takes unnecessary sacks, O-Line can't block for s**t, offence does nothing until the last quarter when the game is pretty much over. It would almost be funny if it wasn't a constant. There should be a s**t load of cap space with the departures on defence. Spend it and get some damn O-Linemen so Russ doesn't have to get sacked through ineptitude.

We were lucky that Trubisky is s**t. We should have been nowhere near the Bears at the end and if it wasn't for a poor pick 6 from Russ, we could have actually won that.

If Ifedi starts next week then I'll be pretty pissed. We might as well play without a RT rather than have him on the line.

O Line is awful but there is something wrong with Russ too..........I know we expect a lot of him but gee, he is not delivering right now when we need it.

We have only lost by 10 points the last 2 games so we are in games, but this year is not a playoff year.

At least Dickson is killing it........

The defence is what is keeping this season from being a mess.
With Bobby and Flowers coming back in this week, and KJ around 1-2 weeks away, it is going to have a big boost.

Something needs to be done on the offence.
Carroll obviously doesnt trust Russ to call plays on the go.
Perhaps Shotty isnt the OC that can make this work?

I still got hope for this season although we need a major revamp of our offense game plan.
Fix the OL, give Russ more than 2 seconds to make a play.
If the OL can make it work this week against the cowboys, then it will look like a completely different team.

Dissly and Lockett are having great starts to the season.
Shaquill had a monster game against the bears, and Earl / McDougald combo looks to be up there with one of the best safety teams in the league at present.
Kendricks lining up alongside Bobby makes our LB situation look decent.

If Ifedi starts next week then I'll be pretty pissed. We might as well play without a RT rather than have him on the line.

Its more than Ifedi. Its the whole play calling on the OL.
Shotty is calling the wrong play every time and exposing Russ to pressure before the receivers have run their routes.
I dont know what the solution is, maybe going 2 WR for a bit and running with 2 blocking TEs just to give Russ the confidence to move in the pocket.

Russ is always moving back, it shows that he has no faith in this OL.

First two needs in the next draft / trade is a RT and DE.

So much better. I'm loving McDougald at the moment. He has been a very good replacement for Kam so far. Carson also had a great game and that TD was well deserved. That 3rd down run in the last quarter to get the 1st was huge.

Hopefully Russell has learned from that to not hold on to the ball too long when nothing is on.

Agreed was a much better performance, but I am not so sure too much could be taken away from it.

Playing at home against the Cowboys should be a win unless the team is in real trouble.
I dont think Prescott tried for a pass over 15 yards, and their receiver situation is one of the worst in the league.

Carson did everything that was asked of him. Full credit to a good performance.
But, 32 carries for just over 100 yards tells me that there are still issues in that OL and the play calling by Shotty.
Got frustrated watching a few times seeing Carson repeatedly trying to rush through the middle when there was hardly any space there all game. It was like Pete and Schotty were trying to convince themselves that lane was a sure thing.

The Good:
- Tre Flowers. Looks like he has that CB2 spot down. Good early decision by Pete to change him from a safety to a CB.
- Pass coverage. Multiple interceptions in each of the 3 games. However havent been tested by a top QB yet.
- Tyler Lockett. Giving him a 3 year extension looking like a great decision so far. On course for a 1,000+ yard and 10+ TD season.
- Bobby back makes such a huge difference to this defence. Other than his tackling, just having him on the field as a leader with so many 1st and 2nd year players
- Frank Clark had a decent game. Still need to find some pass rush with the first pick in this year's draft though, or trade for it

The Bad:
- Offence play calling still looks shaky.
- Using a first rounder on Penny looking more and more like an awful decision. That fumble had the potential to turn the game. I am moving towards the boat that Prosise or Davis be given a chance at RB2 and have Penny dropped.
- Brandon Marshall couldnt catch a thing. Needs to step up.

Play of the Game:
- Shaqueem kickoff tackle special. The feel-good story is back on track.

Rumour of the week:
- Bell to the hawks in a trade with the Steelers which would see Thomas go the other way. Although I don't want to see Earl go, and am firmly in the camp that he should get paid, this rumour is enough to make me giddy.

Any word on when Baldwin is back?

Also can the Steelers send Brown along with Bell??

In Pete's postgame presser, he didnt give any time frame on either Doug or KJ.
Personally even if he is fit, I would still rest him for the next match against the Cardinals and get him fully fit for the Rams.

I would also expect Carson to get less carries this week in preparation for the Rams game, so we may see more of Penny and perhaps Prosise.

I think the problem with Penny was the play calling. He was trying to go up the middle too often when there was no room as well. He also isn't getting many snaps to show what he can do. I'm not prepared to write him off just yet.

I think the problem with Penny was the play calling. He was trying to go up the middle too often when there was no room as well. He also isn't getting many snaps to show what he can do. I'm not prepared to write him off just yet.

Not writing him off yet for sure, its too early. but he hasn't done anything to warrant using a first rounder on him yet.
I just feel there were better players and more pressing needs that the pick could have been used on.

I hope I get proved wrong and Penny becomes a future pro bowler for the hawks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back