Opinion Senior coach options

Remove this Banner Ad

No way Alan Richardson would have been smoked out only to get dudded again. He just wouldn't allow that to happen.

StKilda couldn't be seen to appoint him without a public interview though.

The job is his.

Followed Hinkley's playbook to a tee.

Get the job through private conversation with StK official(s) THEN come out from behind the curtain.

Preparing the Press conference now ahead of announcement.

didnt cameron have the port job as well only for a crazy turn of events that saw him go to GWS that opened the door for hinkley

sounds like williams had the gig but then borked at the contract length and maybe $$$

surely we CAN NOT hire somebody who we rated lower than Scott Watters just 2yrs ago :eek:
that would be so freaking ridiculous :mad: :mad: :mad:

surely we CAN NOT hire somebody who we rated lower than Scott Watters just 2yrs ago :eek:
Again, we also overlooked Ken Hinkley at that time. Do you not think he would be bloody fantastic for us now and that if we had our time over again we wouldn't hire him in a second?

didnt cameron have the port job as well only for a crazy turn of events that saw him go to GWS that opened the door for hinkley

sounds like williams had the gig but then borked at the contract length and maybe $$$

I don't know the how's or why's.....but no way Richo would have been smoked out if the job wasn't his.

I know he has vowed never to have that happen again.

So we made a mistake? Does that mean we can't go back and correct it?

A real man admits to his mistakes :oops:

Oh and thanks for leaving Chocco with us to mind Dusty. Much appreciated :D

Again, we also overlooked Ken Hinkley at that time. Do you not think he would be bloody fantastic for us now and that if we had our time over again we wouldn't hire him in a second?
just cos Hinkley is ok it doesnt mean anything about Richo. Hinkley missed out because of the Blight baggage. Rich just missed out cos we thought he wasnt good enough. Richo is destined to be another Brian Royal

just cos Hinkley is ok it doesnt mean anything about Richo. Hinkley missed out because of the Blight baggage. Rich just missed out cos we thought he wasnt good enough. Richo is destined to be another Brian Royal

If you wanna look at it that way you might as well say Choco wasn't even good enough for the GWS top gig

just cos Hinkley is ok it doesnt mean anything about Richo.
I didn't say it did, but the only reason you gave for why we shouldn't go for Richo was because we overlooked him last time and I was just pointing out that it doesn't necessarily matter who we overlooked last time, because it looks like we made a real mess of that whole process, firstly overlooking at least Hinkley and then appointing SW and for that reason I wouldn't automatically assume that overlooking Richo was the right move.

All I care about is that we get whoever is best suited to the job now. Whoever is best to take us forward. I Find it hard to imagine that I will give two hoots if it happens to be someone we overlooked last time.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

passing on Richo wasnt a mistake. It was a bloody good decision. Hiring Watters was the mistake

who should get the job in your opinion?

I didn't say it did, but the only reason you gave for why we shouldn't go for Richo was because we overlooked him last time and I was just pointing out that it doesn't necessarily matter who we overlooked last time, because it looks like we made a real mess of that whole process, firstly overlooking at least Hinkley and then appointing SW and for that reason I wouldn't automatically assume that overlooking Richo was the right move.
no i still think passing on Richo the first time was a very good decision by the Saints. Just cos Watters was crap doesnt mean Richo wouldnt have been crapper

SW appointment was not about Richo or even Hinkley. SW did not get the job because everyone else was rubbish. He got the job because he seemed (key word here) to be the outstanding candidate at the time - couple of WAFL flags, defensive coach of a powerful Collingwood team, MM tick of approval and blitzed the presentation.

Of course in hindsight we made the wrong decision. However, i am sure the coaching selection panel are aware of the short comings of last time and will make sure it won't happen again. Just like I am sure Richardson has grown and learned more about himself and the AFL in the last 2 years to become even better equipped to be a senior coach.

It's like hiring anyone, candidate may be great on paper, interview well and still completely balls the job up. What better way to admit we made a mistake two years ago?

SW appointment was not about Richo or even Hinkley. SW did not get the job because everyone else was rubbish. He got the job because he seemed (key word here) to be the outstanding candidate at the time - couple of WAFL flags, defensive coach of a powerful Collingwood team, MM tick of approval and blitzed the presentation.

Of course in hindsight we made the wrong decision. However, i am sure the coaching selection panel are aware of the short comings of last time and will make sure it won't happen again. Just like I am sure Richardson has grown and learned more about himself and the AFL in the last 2 years to become even better equipped to be a senior coach.

well said

Why would we rate Richo now when 2yrs ago we didnt. Footy hasnt changed that much un two yrs
We actually DID rate him. He was beaten for the job at the death by a knock out Scott Watters INTERVIEW. And, given his key role in Ports rocketing up the ladder, I'd argue his stock has grown since we last talked to him.

Why would we rate Richo now when 2yrs ago we didnt. Footy hasnt changed that much un two yrs

Yes, but he has. Richardson has done an outstanding job with Port Adelaide and has been a very big role in their development. He is highly rated at Port and their reluctance to allow him to leave should be a sign that he is greatly valued (like the reluctance of Tigers fans to let Choco go).

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Senior coach options

Remove this Banner Ad

Back