Remove this Banner Ad

SunKing

Norm Smith Medallist
Sep 16, 2006
Brisbane
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
sgt_pepper.jpg

1. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band 2. With A Little Help From My Friends 3. Lucy In The Sky With Diamonds 4. Getting Better 5. Fixing A Hole 6. She's Leaving Home 7. Being For The Benefit Of Mr. Kite! 8. Within You Without You 9. When I'm Sixty-Four 10. Lovely Rita 11. Good Morning Good Morning 12. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (Reprise) 13. A Day In The Life
Amazon.com essential recording
Before Sgt. Pepper, no one seriously thought of rock music as actual art. That all changed in 1967, though, when John, Paul, George and Ringo (with "A Little Help" from their friend, producer George Martin) created an undeniable work of art which remains, after 30-plus years, one of the most influential albums of all time. From Lennon's evocative word/sound pictures (the trippy "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," the carnival-like "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite") and McCartney's music hall-styled "When I'm 64," to Harrison's Eastern-leaning "Within You Without You," and the avant-garde mini-suite, "A Day in the Life," Sgt. Pepper was a milestone for both '60s music and popular culture.

CoverPiper.jpg

1. Astronomy Domine 2. Lucifer Sam 3. Matilda Mother 4. Flaming 5. Pow R. Toc H. 6. Take Up Thy Stethoscope And Walk 7. Interstellar Overdrive 8. The Gnome 9. Chapter 24 10. Scarecrow 11. Bike
Amazon.com essential recording
While they took their name from blues musicians Pink Anderson and Floyd Council when they started out as an R&B combo in the mid-60s, Pink Floyd's leader, guitarist Syd Barrett, soon began piloting the band through unprecedented sonic excursions typified by the title of their 1967 debut album's most celebrated track--the outsized instrumental "Interstellar Overdrive." Equally adept at composing catchy-sounding, Gothic-themed pop songs such as "See Emily Play," "The Scarecrow" and "The Gnome," Barrett seemed destined for greatness--that is, until psychedelic drugs got the best of him, and he abandoned the band to bassist Roger Waters and new guitarist David Gilmour. The rest, as they say, is history.

I'm tipping much Beatles bias here.

Interesting that many people I've spoken to about old music, even professed Pink Floyd fans don't know about Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

Me? Well, I ONLY know Piper and DSOFTM.

However, me being aged only 24 and having not listened to old albums until quite recently I feel I can offer a very unbiased opinion about these 2 albums.

I've listened to them both a similar ammount of times.

I'll go Sgt. Peppers. :)

BUT its very close. These are both very good albums.

Sgt. Peppers has more songs that I love.

Though, due to advertising and TV shows it also caused me some greif.

Well as for bias my favorite band is The Beatles but I'm also a huge fan of Barret era Pink Floyd and consider Piper a psychedelic classic and not far removed from Pepper. Amazing considering all bar one song on Piper was written by Syd.

The reason I chose Piper was because these two albums are so closely linked. Both recorded at the same studio at basically the same time and with members of each band interacting with each other during the recording process. Both are also IMO the pinnacle of 60's psychedelia.

Before Sgt. Pepper, no one seriously thought of rock music as actual art. That all changed in 1967, though, when John, Paul, George and Ringo (with "A Little Help" from their friend, producer George Martin) created an undeniable work of art which remains, after 30-plus years, one of the most influential albums of all time. From Lennon's evocative word/sound pictures (the trippy "Lucy in the Sky With Diamonds," the carnival-like "Being for the Benefit of Mr. Kite") and McCartney's music hall-styled "When I'm 64," to Harrison's Eastern-leaning "Within You Without You," and the avant-garde mini-suite, "A Day in the Life," Sgt. Pepper was a milestone for both '60s music and popular culture.

Ha! I always love statements like these.

it’s amazing what comes up with a Google search. I may be late (years late in fact), but better late than never. I remember in my mid to late teens discovering The Beatles( as in their albums), and thought wowsers, how cool is this? I recently saw Paul McCartney and who would have imagined a Beatle singing “being for the benefit of Nr Kite” live? He sang a few from Revolver, Rubber Soul, and of course Sargent Peppers.

But I also remember listening to the M’s in my early 20’s and found myself loving Pink Floyd. I bought one of those best Of Pink Floyd CD’s years ago and quietly believed I was a big Oink Floyd fan. It was only this week when it occurred to me, I’ve only got a couple of their albums (The Wall” and “Dark side of the moon”, but I never even listened to their first ever album. So I just bought the album on Apple iTunes and went with it. I’ve immersed myself in the Album this week. It reminded me of when I discovered all those Beatles albums all over again. Honestly, I love it! I’m not ready to say which album is better, but it’s an incredibly exciting journey I’m on. And then one day Hooray!

Piper all the way Syd's approach to songwriting was completely different to Lennon/McCartney formulas, his flat pan english vocal delivery & unorthodox guitar playing also gives the album a completely different feel to anything else imo.

I'm tipping much Beatles bias here.

Interesting that many people I've spoken to about old music, even professed Pink Floyd fans don't know about Piper At The Gates Of Dawn.

Me? Well, I ONLY know Piper and DSOFTM.

However, me being aged only 24 and having not listened to old albums until quite recently I feel I can offer a very unbiased opinion about these 2 albums.

I've listened to them both a similar ammount of times.

I'll go Sgt. Peppers. :)

BUT its very close. These are both very good albums.

Sgt. Peppers has more songs that I love.

Though, due to advertising and TV shows it also caused me some greif.

F*ck me.

I enter a bumped thread from 2007, find that I'm the first reply and I've listed my age in the post as 24.

Way to make me feel old!

All these years later, I'll stick with Sgt. Peppers. I've definitely listened to it more than Piper in the years since.

Pepper for me, easily, though its not the best album of the Beatles.
I am a HUGE PF fan, but only from Meddle 1971 onwards.
Piper and all that era, sounds like a literal totally different band to me.

Sgt Peppers was like going from the horse drawn cart to the aeroplane. Dark Side of the Moon was going from the aeroplane to travelling in a spaceship. The Piper at the Gates of Dawn was pfffftttt.

Sgt Pepper wouldn't be in my top 30 most groundbreaking albums of 1967, Hendrix's first two albums that year make it sound like Grandma music.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back