Shanghai game v Saints 2019

Remove this Banner Ad

Van Demon

Draftee
Sep 15, 2010
AFL Club
St Kilda
Thinking of heading to China to watch the game but can’t decide which ticket to get.

Will be travelling with my father and both want to drink. The most comfortable area looks like the official match day function area but tickets are $600. We aren’t struggling but that’s a fair amount of money for a game and we don’t think there will be many good value down to earth people in there.

Next option is the lounge at $450 but they cram 1000 people into it and there’s not much seated viewing area by the looks.

This year has 4 ground level areas but we don’t wanna be outside without cover all day. Plus it doesn’t seem to be a good spot to watch the footy.

It’s pissed us off so much with the lack of information and photos around we’re deciding on scrapping the idea

Has anyone been? Could you please help us out and post some pics or describe your experience please. Any info much appreciated. Cheers

Thinking of heading to China to watch the game but can’t decide which ticket to get.

Will be travelling with my father and both want to drink. The most comfortable area looks like the official match day function area but tickets are $600. We aren’t struggling but that’s a fair amount of money for a game and we don’t think there will be many good value down to earth people in there.

Next option is the lounge at $450 but they cram 1000 people into it and there’s not much seated viewing area by the looks.

This year has 4 ground level areas but we don’t wanna be outside without cover all day. Plus it doesn’t seem to be a good spot to watch the footy.

It’s pissed us off so much with the lack of information and photos around we’re deciding on scrapping the idea

Has anyone been? Could you please help us out and post some pics or describe your experience please. Any info much appreciated. Cheers

Went first year. Sat behind The Westhoff goals. Outside all day. Was ****ing awesome.

I went to the Lounge area in 2017. There’s seating in front of the marquee area and tables inside that give you a good view of the oval. The viewing isn’t super great but just the fact that you’re watching a game in another country makes it worth it:

9C72C9CF-EEA8-4F70-88B8-C3B7BD2B075D.jpeg
853589E4-33FB-48FA-80DD-232102CB5A3B.jpeg

I went last year with Lady Fairlane and pastmyprimus - we sat in the open and were rained on a bit.

This is the only photo I can find on the net (I didn't take one of that view) that shows the only remotely covered part of the actual infrastructure (I have no idea who Dawine are). To the left of picture.

We sat in the open on the left of the stand from this viewpoint.

a30fddcfa9438961940aacc1c1c0aa8a.jpg

I went to the Lounge area in 2017. There’s seating in front of the marquee area and tables inside that give you a good view of the oval. The viewing isn’t super great but just the fact that you’re watching a game in another country makes it worth it:

View attachment 636945
View attachment 636946
On a side issue - this is the setup that could have caused a death or two at the conclusion of the game. Some dimwits decided to clamber all over the cables and plugs, in the rain, so they could get a hug from Dougal Howard and other players. Nekminnut Flash! Bang! Puff! Shoulders are shrugged and they continue to stand on the wet live wires lol.

I emailed the club about this and didn't get a response, which is pretty disappointing. Hopefully the cabling is insulated somehow next time.

Oh and we got the $250 tickets for the 'Field Club' area. Seating in the pocket grandstands with marquee out the back and big screen, all the food and drink you can take until about 3QT. Old man went to grab another glass of red and ended up paying the equivalent of about $30 for it lol.

I went in 2017 and bought tickets in the “Field Club” which I thought was a good middle ground at approx $220 each from memory. As Ford alluded to above almost all the seating is in the open but at least with the FC ticket you can always retreat to the marquee behind the stands for some shade and drinks.
$220? Even better, I thought it was a bit more. Phil Hoffman crew handed out ponchos during the bus transfers so the rain was no problem.

Edit: Oh 2017...pretty sure it was $250 in 2018.

Thanks for the reply. How is the food and what drinks are available?

I went in 2017 and bought tickets in the “Field Club” which I thought was a good middle ground at approx $220 each from memory. As Ford alluded to above almost all the seating is in the open but at least with the FC ticket you can always retreat to the marquee behind the stands for some shade and drinks.

Thanks. Can watch the game in that marquee? How was seating?

Thanks for the reply. How is the food and what drinks are available?

The food was pretty good - your typical fare that you'd get if you went into a corporate box. Drinks were your standard Crown Lager and semi-premium wines etc.

The food was pretty good - your typical fare that you'd get if you went into a corporate box. Drinks were your standard Crown Lager and semi-premium wines etc.

Cheers! Was it comfortable inside... noisy.. packed? Have televisions in there etc?

Cheers! Was it comfortable inside... noisy.. packed? Have televisions in there etc?

It was comfortable - they had some sort of air conditioning happening which was good cause it was muggy as *. Not real noisy per se for the amount of people that were there - it wasn't like raucous or anything, since it's more your corporate types (I was there as part of the China Power Club).

I think there were a couple of televisions about - they've probably improved it since then because it was the first year.

Here’s a view from inside:

72786AAD-9CE5-4CF8-BCFB-8823E2342D8D.jpeg

Thinking of heading to China to watch the game but can’t decide which ticket to get ..... Has anyone been? Could you please help us out and post some pics or describe your experience please. Any info much appreciated. Cheers
Tickets
You can buy the Grandstand Terrace tickets for $20. That's under the castle-like thing on the wing. Far less packed in reality than on the photo on that page, and in 2017 and 2018 was mostly locals.
You can buy Reserved Seats tickets for $70. That's where the Cheer Squad sits, as per the photo on that page. Probably the most authentic AFL experience you'll get there. Especially when we add opposition supporters to the crowd, not really a thing playing Gold Coast.
There are other packages on the tickets site but which I struggle to see value for money with. Having said that The Lawn was new last year and looked good but although it includes food and drink is a big price jump at $350.
The experience
I've been both times (and will go again this year). The experience at the two games has been quite different.
2017 was bazonga super paranoid. Stony-faced officials, crowd barriers, armed security in the thousands. Sat with the Cheer Squad in the Reserved Seating.
2018 was a pleasant shock. Friendly officials, no crowd barriers, minimal armed security. Again sat with the Cheer Squad in the Reserved Seating but had also bought a Grandstand Terrace ticket so wandered around there a few times as my preference is to watch the game from the wings.
Catering
2017. Effectively no catering for the hoi polloi. Not even water by half-time. Forget food.
2018. Adequate basic catering for the general public, still no alcohol though.
2019. No idea what we'll get in the 3rd year. 2nd year was streets ahead of the 1st. Perhaps they'll have beer for the general public.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How trustworthy is a Saint called Van Demon?:think:

I went last year with Lady Fairlane and pastmyprimus - we sat in the open and were rained on a bit.

This is the only photo I can find on the net (I didn't take one of that view) that shows the only remotely covered part of the actual infrastructure (I have no idea who Dawine are). To the left of picture.

We sat in the open on the left of the stand from this viewpoint.

a30fddcfa9438961940aacc1c1c0aa8a.jpg
The Chinese characters for Dawine or Da Wine translated mean Big Booze.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back