Sports Short people that defied their size disadvantage in sport

Remove this Banner Ad

Cricket shouldn't really be mentioned, it's a game that usually suits short people.
Depends on what role you play. It's more ideal for batsmen to be shorter as it makes for an advantage in footwork and balance (balance is why being short works in soccer and why gymnasts are tiny) but fast bowlers tend to be much taller. Height gives the opportunity for the ball to bounce more which is why (as Scotland mentioned) Dale Steyn has especially been successful at 180cm even though that's bang-on average height for most European men (and I imagine white South Africans).

Depends on what role you play. It's more ideal for batsmen to be shorter as it makes for an advantage in footwork and balance (balance is why being short works in soccer and why gymnasts are tiny) but fast bowlers tend to be much taller. Height gives the opportunity for the ball to bounce more which is why (as Scotland mentioned) Dale Steyn has especially been successful at 180cm even though that's bang-on average height for most European men.
Being tallish helps but very tall bowlers tend to be slower and rely on bounce.

Seen Chanderpaul up close in the 90s, he is built like a 13 year old boy.

Most of the Indian players and West Indian/South African/English players of Indian origin are pretty small. Kohli is 5'9'' which is smidge below average height and pretty small for a professional athlete here, but the average height in India is 5'5'' so he's tall there. Ishant Sharma is 6'4'' so would would around like a giant. Their batsmen tend to be very wristy rather than power hitters like Aaron Finch, Brendon McCullum etc. who are short but powerful. It's a good game for the 'all shapes and sizes' thing. You can be fat kent like Inzi or Boof Lehmann, or a beanpole like Brece Rude, or a little fella and still play a role. Someone like Chris Lynn is almost wasted because hitting 100m sixes looks cool but doesn't get you any more runs than hitting 60m sixes over short boundaries.

Being tallish helps but very tall bowlers tend to be slower and rely on bounce.

Our 3 current quicks are all capable of bowling 145-150 km/h. * facing that from someone like Starc who is 6'5''. McGrath on the other hand for a lot of his career was bowling 130s but he had amazing accuracy and could get good bounce from a good length.

I'd be surprised if these days CA looked at too many short quick bowlers for academy programs etc. Their prototype junior would be someone projecting to be 190-200cm bowling 140+.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In 2011-12, the average Australian man (18 years and over) was 175.6 cm tall and weighed 85.9 kg. The average Australian woman was 161.8 cm tall and weighed 71.1 kg.

On average, Australians are growing taller and heavier over time. Between 1995 and 2011-12, the average height for men increased by 0.8 cm and for women by 0.4 cm, while the average weight for men increased by 3.9 kg and for women by 4.1 kg.

In general, older people are shorter than younger people with the average male aged 75 years and over (169.7 cm) being 8.1 cm shorter than one aged 18-24 years (177.8 cm). Women aged 75 years and over (155.7 cm) were also 8.1 cm shorter than women aged 18-24 years (163.8 cm) on average.

From ABSwebsite

I'm pretty short and have no issue with the word "midget"

But for some it can be demeaning, so doesn't mean you shouldn't be careful.

Here's one person's perspective...

The word has been used over time to refer to a person on display and a spectacle. It has come to be used as a derogatory term to label and demean a population of people who are simply small.

To a person with dwarfism, the word “midget” can be as painful as someone using the R-word to describe a person with an intellectual disability. These words are derogatory because they label a group of individuals by their differences, typically in a negative light.

I am not my label. I’m a person who was born with achondroplasia. To call me a midget puts a label on me that denigrates my individual nature.

When talking about someone who is different from you, choose words that recognize and empower the individual instead of derogatory words that degrade or shame. If you’re worried and don’t know if what you’re saying could be offensive, it’s always OK to ask the individual.

xKate-Braun.4-001.jpg.pagespeed.ic.W8QloA0XDW.webp

I have had many situations where people have asked me, “What is the best way to describe the condition you have?” I love these situations because it gives me an opportunity to help others understand more about my difference and shows they aren’t making assumptions.

It’s always appropriate to describe me as “a person who has dwarfism” or “someone who has achondroplasia.” Two words, which are oftentimes associated with my condition, are “dwarf” or “little person.” I don’t mind being described as a little person. It’s especially helpful for children because it helps them better understand that we are just smaller people.

It’s also accurate and acceptable to describe me as a person with dwarfism. However, to label me as a “dwarf” puts my condition ahead of my individuality and reinforces the physical difference. (Note: There are some people with dwarfism who aren’t offended if you would refer to them as dwarfs. But midget is fairly universally viewed as a negative label.)

Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to share my perspective. If you hear someone using the word “midget,” I challenge you to speak up and educate others.

https://themighty.com/2016/04/why-midget-is-offensive-to-people-with-dwarfism/

Last edited:
Justine Henin is a good mention (and a gun, my favourite one handed backhand), but apparently she is 1.67m.

Dominika Cibulkova at 1.6m (5'3). Career high ranking of #4, decent slam runs. That's more than 10cm shorter than someone like Hingis. Amanda Coetzer (one of the better and gutsiest players of the 90s) was even shorter, only 1.58m.

A majority of champion female tennis players over the years are 1.7m or taller.

Agassi was definitely one out of the box. Given he spent so much of his career standing next to guys like Sampras, he was always taller in actuality than he may have seemed. Him, and the likes of Kafelnikov, Ferrer and Djokovic all changed the return game in men's tennis.

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back