The Law Should assisted dying access be extended to the mentally ill?

Remove this Banner Ad

Funny how people think just by increasing the number of mental health practitioners people's mental health would be so much better.

The fact is the treatments aren't that good. I know many people with long term difficulties whom have accessed care consistently for a long time and their lives are still shite.

100% - increasing the number of practitioners is but one piece of a much larger puzzle.

Building a society where mental health isn’t an issue would be a somewhat utopian solution - the question is what can we do to at least start working toward that?

If proper mental health treatment has been tried for a while and the thoughts are not abating, then yes, I think people should have the right to decide if they want to live or not. But I'd want there to be assurances that they have indeed received proper mental health care.

There are still barriers to mental health care in Australia. It ought to be entirely free of charge to the end user and the number of practising mental health professionals needs to be increased, so that people don't have serious difficulties in getting an appointment like they currently do.

If after that treatment, people still don't want to live, then the option should be available, if assessments have been performed by at least two separate registered mental health professionals (psychiatrists or clinical psychologists) plus a cooling off period. I suppose that's a fair bit of bureaucracy, but that's the price that needs to be paid to ensure everything has been done ethically and as a last resort.
So if mental health care is made free, should all other forms of health care be made free as well?

So if mental health care is made free, should all other forms of health care be made free as well?

Is that even a question?

I think it would be great if everyone was looked after, in all aspects of health. How good would that be! Imagine how much happier society would be.

Health is… pretty damn valuable? Money ain’t worth the paper it’s printed on.

Is that even a question?

I think it would be great if everyone was looked after, in all aspects of health. How good would that be! Imagine how much happier society would be.

Health is… pretty damn valuable? Money ain’t worth the paper it’s printed on.
Like your enthusiasm but we do need to deal with real life.

If practitioners weren't able to charge fees, then as a consequence workers will be attracted to other industries. Instrad of attracting more people to work in health care, free health care would have the opposite effect of driving workers from it.

Like your enthusiasm but we do need to deal with real life.

If practitioners weren't able to charge fees, then as a consequence workers will be attracted to other industries. Instrad of attracting more people to work in health care, free health care would have the opposite effect of driving workers from it.

Read his comment again.

“Free of charge to the end user”

Just means taxes would be astronomical.

It doesn’t. We already have the means to do it - we just don’t. Consider the context of my initial comment regarding how we waste money on frivolous crap for the already-wealthy.

And again, you take the view that money is more valuable than health. With all respect, I simply disagree.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back