Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

I don’t think we need a secondary market. We should keep getting what we can from Tasmania until they get their own team though.
Although we should drive being a progressive club and community leader through engagement with the LGBTQ community and multi cultural communities through the huddle. Also keep promoting the anti-gambling stance.
Hopefully we really drive and promote our club as a progressive club who cares about community and accepts all supporters. In turn hopefully the public accepts us as a team they’d like to support

That ceased with Bendigy City Council saying any money put into QEO was for future cricket use. BCC also refused to put any money into Bendigo VFL licence.
Well that certainly sounds like bendigo is a non starter for us then.

Albury /wodonga area might be a possibility but I’d hope we would try n make a go it in Melb after Tassie games sell off
We should do a deal with immigration or Melb airport of giving any new residents that arrive a kangas showbag by pushing the kangaroo angle.
Also the fast growing areas of outer Melbourne should be targeted as others have said.

I believe the east coast fast train is back on the agenda, so yes this. It might take a 10 years or more, but that train would make the world of difference. We could have 5-10k heading up to the border for matches and then get an extra 5k from the Murray down to Vic matches. Thats a huge boost.

Is this the first time we have gone to the Bendigo/Rochester region for a community camp?

Id imagine there is some strategic reason behind it, as moving some home games to Queen Elizabeth Oval at the expiry of the deal with tassie makes complete sense.

You’d like to think there’s a strategic reason behind it. The Bombers are visiting Bendigo as well though. Meanwhile there are other clubs visiting the O & M region (which have been proposed as potential options for us in the future) - Carlton (Wodonga) and St Kilda (Wangaratta & Benalla). Hawthorn is still visiting Launceston and the Dogs Ballarat, so there are definitely some clubs using the opportunity to strengthen partnerships.

we're basically Australia's national animal.
If it was feasible and we're good enough, I'd love for us to go international.
A game or two a season in London would be awesome. 100k Aussies in London, 400k in the UK. London Stadium would be suitable and holds 65k. The NFL play a few games in Europe every season and it works really well.

A game or two a season in London would be awesome. 100k Aussies in London, 400k in the UK. London Stadium would be suitable and holds 65k. The NFL play a few games in Europe every season and it works really well.

The travel would make it harder to win a premiership imo, so I’m flat out against going anywhere OS.

only problem is that its a rectangle ground so fits well with NFL, AFL uses a much bigger size.

only problem is that its a rectangle ground so fits well with NFL, AFL uses a much bigger size.
Not the London Stadium. It has an athletics track around it which would have to be sorted but is possible. They play NFL at Spurs stadium.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes. Posted numerous times on this that we should do a deal with the Vic Government and play 2 games a year in Bendigo.
Get QE Oval upgraded and play games North of Melbourne.

I'm sure the commercial team and Jan can work out a deal to get 1-1.5 mil from it and make up some of the 2mil we lose from Hobart.
Remember Victoria is hosting the commonwealth games and the government has promised to upgrade and ensure regional towns are prioritized.

So help me God if we cant manage to get a stadium deal out of this we should just wind up the club board. We don't deserve to thrive.
The ******* get out of Tassie card is staring the club directly in the face and our CEO should never work again if she stuffs this up.

Yes. Posted numerous times on this that we should do a deal with the Vic Government and play 2 games a year in Bendigo.

I'm sure the commercial team and Jan can work out a deal to get 1-1.5 mil from it and make up some of the 2mil we lose from Hobart.
Remember Victoria is hosting the commonwealth games and the government has promised to upgrade and ensure regional towns are prioritized.

So help me God if we cant manage to get a stadium deal out of this we should just wind up the club board. We don't deserve to thrive.
The ******* get out of Tassie card is staring the club directly in the face and our CEO should never work again if she stuffs this up.

Not a bad option, could be worth a try. Unfortunately, there aren’t any plans to host athletics in Bendigo, so I don’t believe there are any current plans to develop an oval stadium in Bendigo as is the case with Mars Stadium in Ballarat. Agree totally with Tassie. It seems that we’re flogging a dead horse to extract as much money as we can, but that’s not going to do much for us long term.

When we finish up in Tassie - we’ll probably lose 5k members.
So we need to make that up plus the money
With all due respect I doubt the 5k members are a blip financially. It's the guaranteed return per game rather than a borderline loss leader at home that stabilises our money along with the sponsorship. I expect the member financial money would be replaced pretty easily by increased premium VIC memberships in the event games return.

They will probably host the lawn bowls or badminton or maybe dressage in Bendigo. Something that doesn't need a football stadium.

I think you're dreaming if you believe the Victorian government is going to toss $1-1.5 million into Bendigo tourism. It doesn't make financial sense because it's a short drive for Melbourne-based supporters and so no-one stays overnight or spends any money in the town. There is virtually no economic return.

Bit of talk about heavily subsidised train tickets to/from Bendigo too. To enable more regional folk to work in Melbourne as I understand it.

No idea on the stadium feasibility up there but it's a big town. But it's AFL heartland with well-entrenched support. S the upside is any commercial arrangement rather than drawing in extra members.

Bit of talk about heavily subsidised train tickets to/from Bendigo too. To enable more regional folk to work in Melbourne as I understand it.

No idea on the stadium feasibility up there but it's a big town. But it's AFL heartland with well-entrenched support. S the upside is any commercial arrangement rather than drawing in extra members.

Plenty is about to get spent in Bendigo/Ballarat/Morwell as part of the infrastructure investment for the Commonwealth Games.

Some plans for all 3 got to my desk just last week.

Plenty is about to get spent in Bendigo/Ballarat/Morwell as part of the infrastructure investment for the Commonwealth Games.

For anyone who hasn't spent time in Bendigo, it's not some butthole little hick town.

It's quite big, it's got businesses, an university, hospital, Myers etc and pitches itself as an arts and foodie town.

Not the worst place to attempt a foothold. People don't have to stay in Bendigo when they travel from Melbourne.

But I reckon if the Bendigo tourism folks gets their heads together they can put together some appealing deals to do so a la the Tassie play/stay model.

For anyone who hasn't spent time in Bendigo, it's not some butthole little hick town.

It's quite big, it's got businesses, an university, hospital, Myers etc and pitches itself as an arts and foodie town.

Not the worst place to attempt a foothold. People don't have to stay in Bendigo when they travel from Melbourne.

But I reckon if the Bendigo tourism folks gets their heads together they can put together some appealing deals to do so a la the Tassie play/stay model.

I've always found it weird that Ballarat was seen as the larger growth corridor, Bendigo is a much nicer town imo. It's not much further away.

The Heathcote wine region is really underdeveloped as a knock on to Bendigo as well.

Given the quality of wine, it really should be a mini Barossa and it isn't.

Honestly we should be over it

Covered by the * and Blues.

View attachment 1756308
The current NGA maps shouldn’t deter our club about making a push into any region. We’ll be losing the whole of Tassie as a zone within the next few years so these maps will need to be redrawn anyway. We might be in for a few fights with rival clubs, but who cares, we need to start making decisions around this that can establish a long-term focus for our club. If we play our cards right then we can secure our future in Melbourne but if our club is dumb enough to be seduced by interstate cash again then it could result in us experiencing increased speculation about relocating etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back