Analysis Should we be pursuing a secondary market post-Hobart? If yes, then where?

Remove this Banner Ad

As much as I disagree with the AFL’s treatment of Tasmania, it doesn’t look like Tassie are getting a team any time soon. Would it be possible to negotiate a shorter 3 year 5 game deal in Hobart?
Micheal Jackson eating popcorn.gif

As much as I disagree with the AFL’s treatment of Tasmania, it doesn’t look like Tassie are getting a team any time soon. Would it be possible to negotiate a shorter 3 year 5 game deal in Hobart?

Our 4 game deal has been extended for the next 3 seasons; however, there is an out-clause for the Tasmanian government that if a licence is awarded then the deal can be rescinded. Tassie won’t be entering for the next 4-5 years but who knows what the Tas Gov will do. They have pledged to make a huge financial commitment towards their own team so there are no guarantees that we will be able to keep playing games there. When these possibilities are considered I think it will be prudent for the club to start planning for our next steps fairly soon.

i would suspect hawthorn might look at the latrobe valley given it was previousely zoned between hawks and footscray and the latter has gone balarat route. i like the idea of bendigo, albury/woodonga/wagga areas iirc have been zoned Giants?

I’ve just checked the map for the Giants Academy zone. Albury is theirs but Wodonga isn’t. If we end up departing Hobart then we’ll lose Tassie as a NGA academy zone and the maps will need to be redrawn to accommodate us anyway. If we establish a new secondary market then it would make sense for us to lobby the AFL to include that location as our new NGA zone.

Last edited:

If it’s to be in rural Victoria, its gotta be Albury/ Wodonga , maybe even Wangaratta.
We have been blessed to enjoy plenty of North players from those areas , and I’m sure the club support would be greater along the Hume and the close by Murray River towns , than the Calder Hwy.

Time to kick start and re invigorate the support up that way, old North heartland

Back in the zoning days, who was Bendigo aligned with? Was it Carlton , I can’t remember, and I can’t recall any gun North players from that way, let alone club support

John Longmire, Paul Spargo, Stephen Hickey, John Byrne, Xavier Tanner, Mick Nolan , Peter Chisnall, Sam Kekovich, Gary Cowton, all products of the Hume , Ovens and Murray region

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
Ziebell, Atley, Henshaw, Doolan, Houlihan, Teague…seriously, we could list many more that have come from this area. When I was a kid, North used to come up here each pre season and play against an O&M rep side.
As for support, there’s still a sh!t load of us up this way, don’t worry about that, we’re just not as “in your face” as the more successful feral clubs.
Would it work? I really can’t answer that, how successful was the Murray Kangaroos venture? Would it be similar, but obviously on a much larger scale.
One thing I do know, facilities won’t be an issue.

The Tasmanian Government have committed $12m for at least the first 12 years of the 19th club’s existence + $60m for a high performance centre + $375m for the Hobart stadium + a further $60m for UTAS stadium redevelopment.

After those huge financial contributions, you would have to be the most optimistic Roos or Hawks supporter on the planet to think that they will be providing anymore funding towards interstate clubs.
so how does 7 games in hobart helpget enough revenue for the new $700 mill stadium
I think is logical to spend at a minimum 2 games in tassie and buy 2 home games vs nmfc and hawks

so how does 7 games in hobart helpget enough revenue for the new $700 mill stadium
I think is logical to spend at a minimum 2 games in tassie and buy 2 home games vs nmfc and hawks

It’s not all about footy. They’re keen to move the Big Bash games there, attract a few NRL and A-League games (and potentially an A-League licence). One of the main justifications for a roofed stadium is to also attract some of the big name music acts and festivals that always bypass Tassie on national tours.

You could be proven correct in the end, but I think it will be a tough sell, politically, for the state government to keep funding interstate clubs while they’re also bankrolling their own. At the end of the day, most Tasmanians don’t support us or Hawthorn. Many locals don’t agree with the FIFO sponsorships as it is, so they certainly won’t want to see them continue when they have their own side running around in the competition.

I’ve always thought of secondary markets as total fools gold. Like going to a pawn shop when you are short of cash. If you need cash today, fair enough, but in the long term you are worse off.

Footy supporters are rusted on. You can monetise a neutral supporter in some far flung location as a once off for their admission ticket, but then what? A few bob for a limited period at the whim of the local government? All at the expense of hardcore supporters losing out on home games.

Only ‘real’ members deliver recurring revenue, eg Members fees, raffles, merch. More members, bigger sponsors.

All of our second markets have been necessary evils, but history shows none of them lasted. Tassie will surely end too, so just focus on the best possible 11-game membership experience and attract as many fans as you can.

*I like the Arden Street idea, if someone was stupid visionary enough to fund it.

I’ve always thought of secondary markets as total fools gold. Like going to a pawn shop when you are short of cash. If you need cash today, fair enough, but in the long term you are worse off.

Footy supporters are rusted on. You can monetise a neutral supporter in some far flung location as a once off for their admission ticket, but then what? A few bob for a limited period at the whim of the local government? All at the expense of hardcore supporters losing out on home games.

Only ‘real’ members deliver recurring revenue, eg Members fees, raffles, merch. More members, bigger sponsors.

All of our second markets have been necessary evils, but history shows none of them lasted. Tassie will surely end too, so just focus on the best possible 11-game membership experience and attract as many fans as you can.

*I like the Arden Street idea, if someone was stupid visionary enough to fund it.
Exactly, how many fans do we have from Sydney, Canberra, Gold Coast now from our ventures to them? Would be a pitiful amount. Tassie will be the same when they get their own team.

It’s not all about footy. They’re keen to move the Big Bash games there, attract a few NRL and A-League games (and potentially an A-League licence). One of the main justifications for a roofed stadium is to also attract some of the big name music acts and festivals that always bypass Tassie on national tours.

You could be proven correct in the end, but I think it will be a tough sell, politically, for the state government to keep funding interstate clubs while they’re also bankrolling their own. At the end of the day, most Tasmanians don’t support us or Hawthorn. Many locals don’t agree with the FIFO sponsorships as it is, so they certainly won’t want to see them continue when they have their own side running around in the competition.
I think spending a mill gifting a new team 2 extra games against clubs who are near the bottom of the ladder

Dont forget they will have to pay for festivals and events

I think spending a mill gifting a new team 2 extra games against clubs who are near the bottom of the ladder

Dont forget they will have to pay for festivals and events

Yeah I get your point. It’s certainly possible that could happen. However, the amount of funding that we could possibly receive for one game will be significantly less that what we’re getting from the current deal.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Is this the first time we have gone to the Bendigo/Rochester region for a community camp?

Id imagine there is some strategic reason behind it, as moving some home games to Queen Elizabeth Oval at the expiry of the deal with tassie makes complete sense.

If the aim is to grow our supporter base, then the best option is to increase our local footprint and invest more in The Huddle.

The amount of migrants with no affiliation in Melbourne would be greater than the populations of any secondary market such as Bendigo or Hobart and I'd assume it's by a significant margin. The Kangaroo branding is ideal for marketing towards this demographic and most of the infrastructure is already there.

Tasmania has been a nice short term boost to our membership figures, but once the agreement ends and/or a Tasmanian side is given a license I'd expect that maybe we'd have generated one or two thousand permanent members from our decade of investment.

If the aim is to replace the sponsorship money, then the answer to this question is simply whoever the highest bidder is. There's not much chance of converting the rusted on supporters of a place like Bendigo or Gippsland, so basing these decisions on potential membership growth seems flawed. No market will ever compare to Hobart in terms of potential membership growth and even there the ROI was pitiful.

Radical idea. All our home games played in Melbourne. A lot of North people I know are put off by us selling games. It looks like one foot in one foot out. A lot of North people have been trained to watching on TV because of it, the pandemic only made that worse.

Im not privy to the financial side, but obviously making up for the lost revenue from selling games would be hard, but if StKilda can do it with their massive debt, don’t know why North can’t.

Radical idea. All our home games played in Melbourne. A lot of North people I know are put off by us selling games. It looks like one foot in one foot out. A lot of North people have been trained to watching on TV because of it, the pandemic only made that worse.

Im not privy to the financial side, but obviously making up for the lost revenue from selling games would be hard, but if StKilda can do it with their massive debt, don’t know why North can’t.
Probably why the Aints have a massive debt. Nobody wants a second market if its not needed but clearly the $$$s are critical to us.

The Saints have massive debt because they tried to move to Seaford and it didn’t work so they moved back to the Moorabbin.
And they have failed to find a way to reduce that debt. Maybe they need a plan B.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back