Discussion Should we go after Alastair "Brick Bandit" Clarkson?

Remove this Banner Ad

Look's like Roo has no faith in our current set up anyway I hope Roo gets him for the Nth Tassie team.

It's not about faith, it's about reaching for the top shelf. Ratts hasn't done anything wrong but the lure of going nuclear while everyone else is playing with pop-guns is always attractive.......but then the last time someone thought that a premiership coach was better than Ratts it wasn't a great outcome.

Look's like Roo has no faith in our current set up anyway I hope Roo gets him for the Nth Tassie team.
I watched that tonight, and whilst he was unconvinced re Ratts, I’m not convinced that was actually Roo 🤔

MkBXznx.jpg

Very occasionally I agree with King, but on this I totally agree. You cant approach Clarkson, then expect Ratten to remain fully committed. Its one or the other...I can understand Roo wants the best for the club, but on this occasion his idea is wong.

Very occasionally I agree with King, but on this I totally agree. You cant approach Clarkson, then expect Ratten to remain fully committed. Its one or the other...I can understand Roo wants the best for the club, but on this occasion his idea is wong.
And as we’ve seen before (Ratts in particular) the grass isn’t always greener.

And as we’ve seen before (Ratts in particular) the grass isn’t always greener.
Hawthorne being coached better this year than the last couple of years under Clarko

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Bassatt summed it up well. The idea of messiah coaches is fools gold. Ratten is part of a coaching team that are working very well together.

I don't think that's correct. I think this is more a case of with Ratts we know what we have and it's better than what we had before. Clarkson is the Craig Bellamy of AFL pretty much. Highly respected, great innovator etc. There is always a risk that you upset everything that you've built like what Carlton did when they knifed Ratts for Malty, but playing safe can also hold you back.

The risk would be enormous, if it stuffed up it would be heartbreaking to have to go through another Blight situation. The flip side is that like Freo did when they stole Ross, all of a sudden they went from safe to serious.

It's not fools gold it's high risk high reward. All of a sudden the focus is on us, sponsors want in but want reward, everything is done in the media eye etc. The upside is huge the down side is dizzying. I'm inclined to go big and roll the dice. Safe and secure got us a decade of mediocrity.

Hawthorne being coached better this year than the last couple of years under Clarko

I love the way that Mitchell coaches but to me he's doing what Richo did. He's playing attractive attacking footy.....but is he developing a side capable of playing finals in a few years? The danger of not bottoming out with an ordinary list playing for wins is us under Richo.

Particularly brain-dead take from someone who was at the club the last time we broke emergency glass for a Messiah. Disappointing

Totally different though. Blight was retired and not even living in Melbourne. Watson and Blight didn't even want the job but we threw so much money at them that they thought they'd have a crack. Blight was also a nut job type.

I love the way that Mitchell coaches but to me he's doing what Richo did. He's playing attractive attacking footy.....but is he developing a side capable of playing finals in a few years? The danger of not bottoming out with an ordinary list playing for wins is us under Richo.
I like Mitchell think he is ripper his 1st 11 games are better than anything Richo gave us and he has a few younger players coming through. I think he will have the defensive side of the game under order by next year

I don't think that's correct. I think this is more a case of with Ratts we know what we have and it's better than what we had before. Clarkson is the Craig Bellamy of AFL pretty much. Highly respected, great innovator etc. There is always a risk that you upset everything that you've built like what Carlton did when they knifed Ratts for Malty, but playing safe can also hold you back.

The risk would be enormous, if it stuffed up it would be heartbreaking to have to go through another Blight situation. The flip side is that like Freo did when they stole Ross, all of a sudden they went from safe to serious.

It's not fools gold it's high risk high reward. All of a sudden the focus is on us, sponsors want in but want reward, everything is done in the media eye etc. The upside is huge the down side is dizzying. I'm inclined to go big and roll the dice. Safe and secure got us a decade of mediocrity.
Your idolising of Clarkson is way over the top. No doubt he is a gun coach but he was part of a fantastic team at Hawthorn. How were his last few years? Hawthorn literally got rid of him.

How would Carlton look back at ditching Ratten for Malthouse, also one of the best coaches of all time?

If we ditched Ratts for Clarko now we'd be a laughing stock. Roo gets to say things like that to cause a stir in the media, reminds me of the calls I make after a few too many. The thing is we are re-signing Ratts, been basically confirmed already.

Put Clarkson at North and see how he goes. Hell put Clarkson at Hawthorn after 2015 and see how he goes.

Messiah coach is the greatest myth of all time.

Carlton tried Pagan then Malthouse. Essendon with Hird. We tried Blight, Roos worked at Melbourne because he got them playing as a team as their stars emerged.

Why do St.Kilda people always want to destabilise the club? We are travelling off field as best as we ever have, the Saints UnCut are showing the team preparing and after games as focused and happy, we are playing to potential on the field, but then we have Riewoldt clikbaiting with this suggestion.

Prefer Rattens approach to team bonding than a bloke making the list listen to him butcher Horses while strumming an out of tune 50 dollar acoustic guitar.

Clarkeson's done as a coach he's last few years are proof he was waining, time waits for no one & even a year out of the loop can have you drop back further.

I'd say he won't come back & be successful, that's one of the reason's Lyon hasn't dipped his hat back in the game.

Clarkeson's done as a coach he's last few years are proof he was waining, time waits for no one & even a year out of the loop can have you drop back further.

I'd say he won't come back & be successful, that's one of the reason's Lyon hasn't dipped his hat back in the game.
Lyon was supposed to be at Carlton till the lack of process became public.
FWIW l agree with you. Though a Sheedy type arrangement in Tas would suit him, or to straighten up GWS.

Your idolising of Clarkson is way over the top. No doubt he is a gun coach but he was part of a fantastic team at Hawthorn. How were his last few years? Hawthorn literally got rid of him.

How would Carlton look back at ditching Ratten for Malthouse, also one of the best coaches of all time?

If we ditched Ratts for Clarko now we'd be a laughing stock. Roo gets to say things like that to cause a stir in the media, reminds me of the calls I make after a few too many. The thing is we are re-signing Ratts, been basically confirmed already.

I'm not idolising him at all, just think like Riewoldt said, you'd be negligent not to have a look. It's a huge risk and you're pointing out an example of an absolute stuff up but that doesn't mean every time you move to a gun coach it's stuff up. Leigh Matthews retired for 3 years, Lions were bottom of the ladder, picked him up and first year go top 3. Then go on to be the best side in the comp for years.

Freo were a laughing stock when they patched Lyon. It was the first time in their history anyone took herm seriously once he got results. Barassi turned the clubs he coached around. Paul Roos straightened up every side he went to.

Being nice and safe is exactly why we don't move out of mediocrity. You don't want to rush in with your blinkers on but you should look at every option. Ratts has been in the game long enough to cope and knows how it all works.

He had shithouse lists to be fair and a heap of injuries. No coach can turn poo into gold.

Put Clarkson at North and see how he goes. Hell put Clarkson at Hawthorn after 2015 and see how he goes.

Messiah coach is the greatest myth of all time.

Carlton tried Pagan then Malthouse. Essendon with Hird. We tried Blight, Roos worked at Melbourne because he got them playing as a team as their stars emerged.

Why do St.Kilda people always want to destabilise the club? We are travelling off field as best as we ever have, the Saints UnCut are showing the team preparing and after games as focused and happy, we are playing to potential on the field, but then we have Riewoldt clikbaiting with this suggestion.

Prefer Rattens approach to team bonding than a bloke making the list listen to him butcher Horses while strumming an out of tune 50 dollar acoustic guitar.

I think Roo probably sees the difference a pro coach made to his footy. GT was a good coach, Lyon was better. In an industry that tiny margins can be the difference you want to take every advantage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back