Analysis Sidebottom (with fan poll)

Your thoughts on Sidey?

• Top 1-3 at our club, and Elite in AFL

• Top 10 at our club, above average in AFL

• Top 11-18 at our club, only average in AFL

• Below Average player overall

• Not sure how I feel about him

• This poll is too confusing. I'd rather a "yes" or "no" question.

• Top 1-3 at our club, but NOT Elite in the AFL

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remove this Banner Ad

I based my vote on the right now, which was the bottom option.

Over the course of his career however I'd have chosen option 1. Think that would be the clear choice.

Play him at half forward I reckon.

Would kick 1.5 a game, goal assists, he’d lay 3-4 tackles up there because he has the endurance for repeated efforts... would do much more than Thomas and WHE do there

Sidebottom would have a longer career if we transition him forward. And it allows us to play someone like a Macrae in the middle

So you're saying he'd be inaccurate? I could see that but 1 goal 5?

Like Didak at the end, Sidebottom has lost the edge. He has gone from an outstanding player to an average one, at an earlier age than one would have expected ( as Didak did). This is not in any way a sensational claim, nor is it particularly critical. It happens to all good players, but not usually as they turn 30. He has lost the bit of time that he once had.

Like Didak at the end, Sidebottom has lost the edge. He has gone from an outstanding player to an average one, at an earlier age than one would have expected ( as Didak did). This is not in any way a sensational claim, nor is it particularly critical. It happens to all good players, but not usually as they turn 30. He has lost the bit of time that he once had.

I think the stories of Sidey's demise are overstated.

Hope he has a ripper this weekend for his 250th.

I think the judgements of his fall have come too quickly. I think his career will be a long one but all players have ups and downs. More of a worry are the rumours that he may want out. Don't like losing players like him but if we got a second rounder it wouldn't be terrible.

Career wise I would still have him at great Collingwood player but not elite in the comp overall. Has tracked at that B+/A- level most of his career.

This is a great assessment of where Sidey is at and the comparison to Dids 2011-2013 is spot on, although from memory Didak's fall was bit quicker than Steele's has been.

His dinky 15 metre, around the corner kicks that he would pull off 1 in every 10 he would attempt have gone from 1 a quarter to almost every kick he has had this year. He has lost some leg speed and his defensive pressure / tackling has been non-existent throughout the season.

His demise started on grand final day 2018 when Mark Hutchings tore him to shreds. He has not been the same player since that day sadly.

He will go down as a Collingwood champion (very few play 250 plus games, win flags, best and fairest medals etc.), however personally, I am still dirty on his performance on grand final day 2018.

There's more football left in Sidey, he'll come good, hopefully this weekend because he needs to and it's time.

A good omen. We've won all his previous milestone games.

Well done Sidey. One of the greats of the club in the AFL era. Hoping he finds a bit of form in his twilight years. I personally think he’s got 3-4 years left if he really wants to.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Sidebottom is being misused and needs to return to a wing. He can't play inside anymore. If we use him right I'm hopeful he'll regain his form. I wouldn't bet against a player of his quality coming back.

I think the judgements of his fall have come too quickly. I think his career will be a long one but all players have ups and downs. More of a worry are the rumours that he may want out. Don't like losing players like him but if we got a second rounder it wouldn't be terrible.

Career wise I would still have him at great Collingwood player but not elite in the comp overall. Has tracked at that B+/A- level most of his career.

I think that my first argument on BF was related to the status of Sidebottom, whether or not he is 'elite'.

I'm not an argumentative type, which is probably why I remember the kerfuffle, that and the fact that I remain scarred by the experience.

Anyway, I've never thought of Sidey as an elite player of the competition. He's a great player for us, always has been, motors along beautifully, and I hope he can reach 300 games with us whilst keeping his clothes on in public places.

I think that my first argument on BF was related to the status of Sidebottom, whether or not he is 'elite'.

I'm not an argumentative type, which is probably why I remember the kerfuffle, that and the fact that I remain scarred by the experience.

Anyway, I've never thought of Sidey as an elite player of the competition. He's a great player for us, always has been, motors along beautifully, and I hope he can reach 300 games with us whilst keeping his clothes on in public places.

Pants have to remain optional if you ask me.

Pants have to remain optional if you ask me.

Well I'm not going to ask you, then. I'm simply going to say in a calm yet forthright manner that everyone should be doing their best to keep pants on in public places.

He has certainly lost the edge he had for whatever reason. Never liked his dinky little kicks to team mates bootlaces but he made up for it with work rate and composure - that last has deserted him.

Back