Simonds Stadium (Geelong) - Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Dogs should play a home game in Geelong, instead of selling that one home game up in Cairns.
More chance of Dogs fans in Melbourne to come down for the game.

GC should actually host a game in Cairns... this China stuff is not necessary.
I don't think the dogs would like to directly fund another Victorian AFL team. I know playing at Geelong had been mooted in the late 2000's but with the AFL purchasing Etihad and with crowds likely to increase even more next season that idea has diminished. Cairns won't be neccasary in a couple of seasons if the 1-2 games in Ballarat a season is successful.

Stage 4
Brownlow and Jennings stand replacement. Funded November 2014. Under construction.

Stage 5
Ford Stand, Ablett Terrace and Southern Terrace Replacement and Hickey Stand Refurbishment. FUlly Funded September 2015, Under construction.

Is this all still correct?

Dogs should play a home game in Geelong, instead of selling that one home game up in Cairns.
More chance of Dogs fans in Melbourne to come down for the game.

GC should actually host a game in Cairns... this China stuff is not necessary.
More chance of a footy fan in Cairns going to a game if it's played in Cairns - and given the number of years the VFL/AFL didn't have its own team in QLD I'm pretty sure there'd be some fans, or fans of the oppo.
The China stuff, well....let's just say that's not just about letting Chinese kids see footy (think tourism dollars).

Stage 4
Brownlow and Jennings stand replacement. Funded November 2014. Under construction.

Stage 5
Ford Stand, Ablett Terrace and Southern Terrace Replacement and Hickey Stand Refurbishment. FUlly Funded September 2015, Under construction.

Is this all still correct?
Stage 4 is the current construction... See here for redevelopment thread: https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/simonds-stadium-stage-4-redevelopment.982196/

Stage 5 is the Ablett Terrace/Ford Stand (ie the northern end, right of screen on tv), and a 'refurbishment' of the Hickey Stand (Eastern wing, opposite wing from current construction). To the best of my knowledge, stage 5 hasn't been funded as yet.

The question is, does the GFC want to move a home Easter Monday vs Hawthorn game from the MCG and halve the potential attendance?
When stage 5 is complete, capacity at 40-43k people, gate takings would be ~$1m to $1.2m, no way they'd get near that with a 55-70k crowd on easter monday. Hawks fans don't come out when it's an away game.

When stage 5 is complete, capacity at 40-43k people, gate takings would be ~$1m to $1.2m, no way they'd get near that with a 55-70k crowd on easter monday. Hawks fans don't come out when it's an away game.

LOL. looking forward to going back down the highway. question is can you fill simmonds at that size with no visiting fans

Looking to the next stage of development:

GEELONG would like the final stage of the Simonds Stadium redevelopment to begin at the end of 2018, just one year after the Brownlow Stadium is completed in May.
The Cats were part of a recent delegation to Canberra led by the newly-formed Kardinia Park Trust that outlined the case for $90 million to be spent to complete the ground.
Although the talks were positive, they only represented the opening of discussions with no timeframe established for when funding might be available.

At the Cats AGM on Monday night, Geelong CEO Brian Cook said ideally the Ford Stand and Gary Ablett Terrace would begin to be overhauled about 12 months after the Brownlow Stand is opened.

With the ultimate objective being attracting other sports and music concerts to the ground, Cook said the new space would have a heavy emphasis on cricket.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-21/cats-want-ground-redevelopment-underway-by-2018

(Log in to remove this ad.)

BBL surely has to be on the agenda for Geelong. Feel like the community would get right around that.
A-League would love to beat CA to a franchise in Geelong but judging from this article and specific cricket facilities being built it looks as if they have their eyes on the BBL Franchise - as they should, KP is horrible for soccer.

Im a Carlton fan but I live in Geelong so I see a fair bit of Simmons Stadium. What Geelong needs if it gets the A-League licence, which I think it will, is to build a perpose built soccer stadium well away from Simmons Stadium like in the Surf Coast. The Cats would hate to have a permanate soccer tenate taking money and using the facilities that have been built for AFL. Look how the old Carlton Soccer Club was treated when they played at Princes Park.

I would love to see the blues travel down to the upgraded Simmons Stadium instead of playing at Etihad each year.

Of course he would sa
Kwality said:
Looking to the next stage of development:

GEELONG would like the final stage of the Simonds Stadium redevelopment to begin at the end of 2018, just one year after the Brownlow Stadium is completed in May.
The Cats were part of a recent delegation to Canberra led by the newly-formed Kardinia Park Trust that outlined the case for $90 million to be spent to complete the ground.
Although the talks were positive, they only represented the opening of discussions with no timeframe established for when funding might be available.

At the Cats AGM on Monday night, Geelong CEO Brian Cook said ideally the Ford Stand and Gary Ablett Terrace would begin to be overhauled about 12 months after the Brownlow Stand is opened.

With the ultimate objective being attracting other sports and music concerts to the ground, Cook said the new space would have a heavy emphasis on cricket.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-12-21/cats-want-ground-redevelopment-underway-by-2018
Of cource he would say that. Geelong will never have a BBL team, low drawing boutique cricket games are no threat to hurting the footy club. Nor will 1 A-League game there a year. He just doesn't want a new Geelong team playing all their home games there.

Im a Carlton fan but I live in Geelong so I see a fair bit of Simmons Stadium. What Geelong needs if it gets the A-League licence, which I think it will, is to build a perpose built soccer stadium well away from Simmons Stadium like in the Surf Coast. The Cats would hate to have a permanate soccer tenate taking money and using the facilities that have been built for AFL. Look how the old Carlton Soccer Club was treated when they played at Princes Park.

I would love to see the blues travel down to the upgraded Simmons Stadium instead of playing at Etihad each year.
Kardnia Park is next to Adelaide Oval in the worst places I've watched football/soccer games at. I agree they'd need a boutique 10-15k rectangular stadium if they were to get a license. KP would be good for T20 cricket though I reckon and wouldn't clash with AFL season at all.

Kardnia Park is next to Adelaide Oval in the worst places I've watched football/soccer games at. I agree they'd need a boutique 10-15k rectangular stadium if they were to get a license. KP would be good for T20 cricket though I reckon and wouldn't clash with AFL season at all.

Govt has spent tens of millions on cat park, and you want them to spend another $20-30m for a rectangular that will be used only by the a league (effectively) because its not an ideal viewing experience?

As a tax payer, that horrible logic.

Govt has spent tens of millions on cat park, and you want them to spend another $20-30m for a rectangular that will be used only by the a league (effectively) because its not an ideal viewing experience?

As a tax payer, that horrible logic.
Did I say they should?
I'm saying that's what should be required if they want an a-league team.

Tbh I think Kardinia Park is better than Etihad in oval mode for football/soccer games so I'm surprised by your comment.
From memory it's also much more narrower than Etihad and Spotless.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back