Research Small questions that don't require a whole thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure if this is the best place to ask (please point me to a better thread if there is one).

I'm hunting down an old Merrett-Hasset bag with a print of Michael Roach's 'Mark of the Century' on it.

The bags are referenced in this interview at 5:49 when Disco credits Keith Richardson, my grandfather, with the idea: Centurions

Would love to track one down for the family history! Any ideas where I could find/buy one?

My question is
Has there ever been any two teams drawing their home and away games in a season?
For information Collingullie Glenfield Park FNC had a draw at home in Rd 9 and yesterday only went down by 2 points in the last home and away game of the season in Riverina Football Netball League

Has any ruckman ever been coach? I mean in the era of when rucks are 195cm+

Or will Dean Cox probably end up first?

Has any ruckman ever been coach? I mean in the era of when rucks are 195cm+

Or will Dean Cox probably end up first?
You can find a few names from the "modern era" here: AFL Tables - Coaches
Ron Alexander (West Coast)
Neil Balme (Melbourne) might count
Carl Ditterich (Melbourne)
Ian Hampshire (Footscray)
Peter Jones (Carlton)
Mike Patterson (St Kilda/Richmond)
Matthew Primus (Port Adelaide)

From a reasonably quick look they're the ones I can see who have coached from 1980 onwards.

You can find a few names from the "modern era" here: AFL Tables - Coaches
Ron Alexander (West Coast)
Neil Balme (Melbourne) might count
Carl Ditterich (Melbourne)
Ian Hampshire (Footscray)
Peter Jones (Carlton)
Mike Patterson (St Kilda/Richmond)
Matthew Primus (Port Adelaide)

From a reasonably quick look they're the ones I can see who have coached from 1980 onwards.
Ah yeah Matty Primus totally escaped my mind. The rest of them are all before my time but I do know of Balmey of course!

Cheers legend

My question is
Has there ever been any two teams drawing their home and away games in a season?
For information Collingullie Glenfield Park FNC had a draw at home in Rd 9 and yesterday only went down by 2 points in the last home and away game of the season in Riverina Football Netball League

The only AFL-related instance was in 1978 in the under-19s when St Kilda 15.16 (106) drew with Melbourne 16.10 (106) in round 6 followed by both teams kicking 14.20 (104) in round 17.

How many times has a team at the bottom of the ladder beaten a team at the top of the ladder?
I did a quick ten minute dive and came up with six notable examples.

St. Kilda (10th) def Carlton (1st) in Round 18, 1910
Richmond (12th) def Melbourne (1st) in Round 17, 1960
Melbourne (12th) def Carlton (1st) in Round 18, 1969
Fitzroy (15th) def West Coast (1st) in Round 24, 1991
St. Kilda (16th) def Carlton (1st) in Round 9, 1995
Collingwood (16th) def West Coast (1st) in Round 9, 2005

There was also Richmond (14th) defeating Carlton (2nd) in Round 12, 1988, but it's notable enough because Carlton were only 0.1% away from being first after Round 11.

My question is
I did find one in the Ballarat FL in 1955.
Maryborough and Golden Point drew both of their meetings. In the previous season, both Maryborough and Redan drew 2 games, but only one was against each other.

Trying to locate the result of the 1930 Metropolitan Junior League Grand Final (3rd Grade) between Brunswick Laurels and Richmond Hill.
Was played on Oct 4 at North Melbourne Football Ground - but unsure of any details of the result.
Thank you

Trying to locate the result of the 1930 Metropolitan Junior League Grand Final (3rd Grade) between Brunswick Laurels and Richmond Hill.
Was played on Oct 4 at North Melbourne Football Ground - but unsure of any details of the result.
Thank you

Very light copy and hard to read, and has not ocr'd at all well

but I think it says

Brunswick Laurels 9.9 63 to Richmond Hill 8.12 60

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Trying to locate who The Herald and The Argus named as Richmond's best player (or whatever terminology they used in their review) for the 1921 Grand Final played on Oct 15th 1921.

I notice in Jim Main's book When It Matters Most he picked 'Dan Minogue' as best player - which seemed an odd definitive choice to me.
I was leaning more towards McIntosh after reviewing Age, RG, Labor Call, Australasian, and Weekly Times.

But can't for the life of me see who Herald and Argus thought were the standouts for Richmond.

Hi,
Is anyone keeping stats online of how many games each Richmond VFL player played in the 2021 and also the 2022 season

Ie: 2021.
Smith 16 games , 4 goals
Brown 15 games , 4 goals

Hi,
Is anyone keeping stats online of how many games each Richmond VFL player played in the 2021 and also the 2022 season

Ie: 2021.
Smith 16 games , 4 goals
Brown 15 games , 4 goals

You might get what you need there. I've no idea how reliable it is. It looks like it has two years worth of statistics on that one page, and you'd have to click on each player to see what they did in both of the years, so it's less than ideal!

Are players still able to leave an AFL club mid-season and transfer to a VFL, SANFL or WAFL team for the rest of the season?

I remember it happening a few times in the 1990s. Some examples were John Georgiadis, who played senior football for Footscray early in the 1991 season but left the club and returned to his WAFL team Subiaco mid-year and played for the Lions in the 1991 WAFL Grand Final; Jim West, who played most games for the Sydney Swans early in the 1992 season before departing mid-season to return to Adelaide and his SANFL team Glenelg Tigers; and Stevan Jackson, who resigned from Richmond early in 1995 and moved back to Western Australia to play for South Fremantle.

However, I don't recall any similar cases in more recent years. I don't mean cases such as an aging St Kilda player who realizes that he has gone on one season too long for AFL but continues to play for the Saints' VFL affiliate Sandringham Zebras for the rest of the year, but cases such as a young player drafted from Victoria to the West Coast Eagles where things didn't work out too well in Perth, the player leaving mid-year to return to Melbourne where he plays with a VFL team such as Coburg for the rest of the season.

Are players still able to leave an AFL club mid-season and transfer to a VFL, SANFL or WAFL team for the rest of the season?

I remember it happening a few times in the 1990s. Some examples were John Georgiadis, who played senior football for Footscray early in the 1991 season but left the club and returned to his WAFL team Subiaco mid-year and played for the Lions in the 1991 WAFL Grand Final; Jim West, who played most games for the Sydney Swans early in the 1992 season before departing mid-season to return to Adelaide and his SANFL team Glenelg Tigers; and Stevan Jackson, who resigned from Richmond early in 1995 and moved back to Western Australia to play for South Fremantle.

However, I don't recall any similar cases in more recent years. I don't mean cases such as an aging St Kilda player who realizes that he has gone on one season too long for AFL but continues to play for the Saints' VFL affiliate Sandringham Zebras for the rest of the year, but cases such as a young player drafted from Victoria to the West Coast Eagles where things didn't work out too well in Perth, the player leaving mid-year to return to Melbourne where he plays with a VFL team such as Coburg for the rest of the season.

From memory Tom Williamson left Carlton mid-last season and played for another VFL side (North’s reserves I think?)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back