Opinion So, where are we at this stage of our rebuild?

Remove this Banner Ad

Cleric

Brownlow Medallist
Oct 14, 2011
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
We are four games into this season and I think we have had a good look at where our team is, and we have a group of kids that we have brought in.

We should be able to see what the future holds.
So in saying that, where do people think we are in our rebuilding phase? Some teams have taken a good 5 or more years of hitting the draft to get their lists in order, and we hit the bottom along with other teams like North and Hawthorn, so we can measure ourselves against them.

I think we are ahead of where I thought we would be at this point. I think we are maybe 2 or 3 players away from an elite team, but we can get that in the next year or two. We have had a good amount of organic growth from the kids we have drafted. The McAsey disaster has hurt us, but a couple of late gems has made up for it somewhat.

Our forward stocks are ready to go.
When Tex goes we will be left with Thillthorpe, Fogarty, Rankine, Rochelle, Gollant, McAdam, Pedler, Cook, Murphy, Himmelberg and Newchurch.
No questions that there is the potential of the best forward line in the AFL there. They are all in the right age profile as well.
I think we still have some growth and movement from some of the younger ones. Cook has the potential to be a skilful half forward flanker. He can kick goals and has a little of the Robby Grey about him. Not sure why they are playing him off the hard back, but the club is known for selection high strangeness.
Long term I believe Pedler goes into the midfield. He is a hard at the ball, strong contested style and has the ability to break away and lace people out with that sweet left foot.
Newchurch I'm not sure if he will make it, and I think the club needs to give him a run of 3 or so games to see if he can do it.
I also think there is a good chance that Elliot could make a move down back down the track. His biggest positive is that hopefully he gets his brother to our club.

The backline is ahead if what I thought they would be, even with the disaster of McAsey.
Murray has improved out of sight, Butts is a very good big defender, Hinge has come along and Max has been a massive revelation. I follow the Jrs and was quite bullish on him, but he has come.in and played alot better than I thought he would. He is the best young defender we have had since Lever.
We have Worrell who can hopefully continue the improvement we saw last year, and Milera seems to have gotten over his injury woes. We have two holes that I see before it's an elite defence.
We need a dedicated small defender in the vein of Luke Brown. Max has done the job on some smalls, but he may be needed to take on some bigger boys, and some teams have more than 1 small forward.
The other hole is getting a replacement for Seedsman and Smith. We need that running defender who can rebound from defence into attack. Speedy and a long accurate kick.
Not easy to find, and none on our list so far. McPherson is too injury prone and Dawson will be in the midfield moving forward.

Rucks are ok. ROB can get back to his best and Strachan is a good back up. We do risk losing him to another team if he doesn't get any games. We have Thillthorpe who can chop out as second Ruck, and if he is injured them Himmelberg can do it.
We do need to look at a good young Ruck in the next draft or two.

Midfield. So this one is a little more open to question where we are.
Dawson showed that he belongs in the middle and can be one of the best in that position. He is inline for a AA jumper 4 games in, and he still has more to give.
Laird continues to get the ball and will stay in the middle. He isn't the youngest now, so might only have a few years left. Sloane is on the slow ship out and his best years are behind him.

Our mid stocks consist of Keays, Harry, Crouch, Dowling, Jones, Berry, Hately, Soligo, Taylor, Brown, Nankervis, Scholl and Bond.
It would appear Crouch has had his papers stamped, and Hatley just hasn't kicked on.
I'm not that fussed with Brown, Bond or Nankervis.
Soligo is a jet. He also can hit the scoreboard.
Berry can continue to improve, and he is hard at the ball and is a contested beast. His weakness is that he doesn't get alot of the ball, and doesn't have alot of hurt factor.
Jones has something we need to keep working on. He is quick, hard at it and can kick goals. Needs to work on his consistency and getting more of the ball, but I think he can. If he does get it together he can be a very good mid.
I like Harry. You know what you are going to get and he can continue to develop. Hard at it, can break away, and can kick goals.
Scholl is good enough and we have yet to see much of Tayor.
I really like Dowling, and I want to see him get some games. Gets alot of the ball and can hit the scoreboard in bunches.
I think Pedler moves into the midfield and will give us that hard contested ball winner with breakaway speed and a nice left foot. He has shown that he can kick goals as well.
There is also scope for both Rochelle and Rankine to have spells in the midfield.

We lack a couple of legit bigger line breaking mids. Another couple in the Dawson mold is exactly what we need.
The positive is that we have got a core of mids who do know how to kick goals as well. Keays, Pedler, Dowling, Harry, Soligo and Jones have all shown they can do it. I firmly believe that some mids can kick goals and some can't. It's genetic. The Crouch bros showed that. With the forwards we have, if we can expect 5 or 6 goals a week from our mids, it's going to put alot of scoreboard pressure on the opposition.

That's how I see it.
We need a couple of bigger line breaking mids, a small defender and a replacement for Smith and Seedsman.

Last edited by a moderator:
We have the small defender already just needs a role re-alignment..Give him the job he'll get it done.

093896df526fe90aed87e0d201f2796d
I can see why people say that. The only issue for me is that his kicking would let him down. Defenders with poor kicking skills don't last long.

I can see why people say that. The only issue for me is that his kicking would let him down. Defenders with poor kicking skills don't last long.
Nothing wrong with his kicking when he played the role in the SANFL when he first came over..

We have a choice at the moment, trade away our draft picks for senior players and get better quicker but may only be average players or go back to the draft.

My opinion is go to the draft once more, we have 3 pick that will be inside the top 27 and try trade in next years first into this years draft. 4 on top 27 or so and pick up some quality midfielders and a running half back , then I think we will be complete.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Nothing wrong with his kicking when he played the role in the SANFL when he first came over..

We have seen enough of him at AFL level to know he isn't a reliable kick. It's one thing to miss a kick when going into the forward line, it's another thing to do that when you are under pressure in the backine.

I'm not adverse to giving him a go at it, It's just my concern with him. But, as always, I'm happy to be proven wrong because it means the club is Better for it.

We have the small defender already just needs a role re-alignment..Give him the job he'll get it done.

He’s going just fine where he is thanks

Re small defender …. Not sure we need to target one . The game is moving away from pure shutdown types like Luke Brown

Max is our go to guy to play on the most dangerous Mediums and smalls in future

There are guys on our list we can develop eg Bond , Nank

Not fussed re this position , agree on the rest . An elite talent to take Brodie Smiths role needs to have speed agility kick and accumulation

Big mid for sure with some inside outside game

Developing ruck U23

I think we’re on reasonable track as far as rebuilding goes. Although whether this track can guarantee us a premiership is perhaps a different set of equation.

I’ve been happy with our attacking forays and level of competitiveness this year. Though I’m more impressed how we didn’t loose our collective bundle after 2 rounds of losses, and showed composure and maturity and not lose the all important “team morale.” Of course, kicking straight always help! Nevertheless, we are showing a more fighting spirit and with a more attacking flair than prior years.

Going through our crop of youngsters who have shown capacity at AFL level (23 or younger):
  • Fog
  • Thilthorpe
  • Rankine
  • Rachele
  • Soligo
  • Berry
  • Butts
  • Pedlar
  • Schoenberg
  • Jones
  • McHenry
  • Max M.
  • Hamill
  • Worrell
  • Parnell
  • Scholl
  • Murray
  • Gollant
The relatively untried kids - Cook, Nankervis, Taylor, Newchurch don’t look out of place if given more opportunities.

So we appear to have a decent nucleus of youngsters to work with. A few more good draft picks similar to the last couple of years, a couple of good trades, and I see no reason why we can’t give it a fair shake, maybe as early as the next couple of years. By that, I mean a possible top-4 contender is certainly not out of the question.

Last edited:
I think we’re on reasonable track as far as rebuilding goes. Although whether this track can guarantee us a premiership is perhaps a different set of equation.

I’ve been happy with our attacking forays and level of competitiveness this year. Though I’m more impressed how we didn’t loose our collective bundle after 2 rounds of losses, and showed composure and maturity and not lose the all important “team morale.” Of course, kicking straight always help! Nevertheless, we are showing a more fighting spirit and with a more attacking flair than prior years.

Going through our crop of youngsters who have shown capacity at AFL level (23 or younger):
  • Fog
  • Thilthorpe
  • Rankine
  • Rachele
  • Soligo
  • Berry
  • Butts
  • Pedlar
  • Schoenberg
  • Jones
  • McHenry
  • Max M.
  • Hamill
  • Worrell
  • Parnell

The relatively untried kids - Cook, Nankervis, Taylor, Newchurch don’t look out of place if given more opportunities.

So we appear to have a decent nucleus of youngsters to work with. A few more good draft picks similar to the last couple of years, a couple of good trades, and I see no reason why we can’t give it a fair shake, maybe as early as the next couple of years. By that, I mean a possible top-4 contender is certainly not out of the question.
To me Cook is the one I really want to see get game time. Last year when he was given a couple of games he did really well. Didn't look put of place at all.
There is a bit of Robbie Grey about him.

Pretty much agree with all that’s been said. I would love for us to be able to trade for GC first rounder this year and have two first round picks. Giving our 2nd rounders and maybe even another pick if we have player leave plus our first rounder next year.
Would be great to have say pick 5 and 10 at the draft to have another go at getting our champion midfielder

And then a free agent in Redman or HH for the backline. Would round the squad off nicely.

If we can make the 8 or just miss, our rebuild is going along well but we need to add to it over the next couple of years so we are up the very top for a decent run of years, ultimately in that period we have to win a flag.

We need to add another 1 to 2 quality recruits, if we can add one to be close to Dawson/Rankine level we will be crying tears of joy.

Plus draft another 2-3 gems over the next couple of years and that will top us off nicely.

Of course we need to retain the talent we have.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You reckon that would be his role?
His best asset seems to be his clearance work.
For real. I can't question his commitment when the ball's there to be won. I'd only expect him to get better at not second-guessing his decision to give the ball off leading to getting pinged HTB. Clean that up and I'm genuinely happy watching him at clearances.

We are 2 big bodied A grade midfielders away from being a genuine top 8 contender (amazingly). Hopefully one of the 2 is Dawson.

You reckon that would be his role?
His best asset seems to be his clearance work.
Which unless you've been sleeping I've highlighted probably close to 100 times over the years.

However you know and I know if he wants to become a regular best 22 player it's not going to be asa midfielder.

The fact he is a very good clearance player has been obvious to the coaches and selectors ever since he was rookied but he's never been considered for a full time on baller role.

He has all the attributes to be a very good small defender at AFL level and has proven that already at SANFL level so I see that as being his chance to be a permanent best 22 player.

Fine others may disagree but that's where I think we could best utilise his talents because it would seem unlikely he gets a shot as a permanent on baller even though one player of similar stature Dion Prestia goes OK.

I believe we are 3/4 or the way there.

We need to continue to play: MM, Worrell, Fog, Soligo, Rachele etc.

The midfield is the area that I’m concerned with, we need to draft or trade for a classy mid who has x-factor, but also keep on giving Rachele stints in the middle.

If we can make the 8 or just miss, our rebuild is going along well but we need to add to it over the next couple of years so we are up the very top for a decent run of years, ultimately in that period we have to win a flag.

We need to add another 1 to 2 quality recruits, if we can add one to be close to Dawson/Rankine level we will be crying tears of joy.

Plus draft another 2-3 gems over the next couple of years and that will top us off nicely.

Of course we need to retain the talent we have.
The Crows will finish around the 7-11 mark one would think. This leaves Nicks in an interesting position as making the 8 will be a big deal to him.

This is still a development year. I know he can't drop every older player but he still needs to develop some other younger players.

Worrell (when he returns) is probably the main one but then I think of Parnell, Cook and to a lesser extent, Taylor and Nankervis. If these guys demand selection, will Nicks be able to make some more tough calls on guys like Smith or Sloane for example.

On CPH1903 using BigFooty.com mobile app

How many small defenders have played the game at 174cm with success?
Murph has some good attributes but he would be giving 9cm to Charlie, Papley would destroy him in the air , Elliot plays tall for a small, even Junior would stitch him in marking contests

As someone said earlier even less of the 180-185cm small defenders are around now - most teams are playing taller agile defenders to blanket those key small forwards

How many small defenders have played the game at 174cm with success?
Murph has some good attributes but he would be giving 9cm to Charlie, Papley would destroy him in the air , Elliot plays tall for a small, even Junior would stitch him in marking contests

As someone said earlier even less of the 180-185cm small defenders are around now - most teams are playing taller agile defenders to blanket those key small forwards

Papley would not destroy him in the air and neither would any of the <180cm others you mention...Lachie has a very good leap if you care to go look at his games...

The other hole is getting a replacement for Seedsman and Smith. We need that running defender who can rebound from defence into attack. Speedy and a long accurate kick.
Good OP, very interesting and thoughtful.

I agree strongly with the bold highlighted above.
Some players' first instinct when they get the ball (eg after a mark or a free) is to stop and look eg McHenry does that often, even when he's open and could run forward. Luke Brown used to do that too --- stop, look, think --- meanwhile the oppo is setting up.
Other players have all ready done the looking before they get the ball, know where their teammates are (within an area of changing movement), and their first instinct is to GO. I think MM is all ready good at that --- he's quick to give off under pressure and when he's open he takes off dynamically. At 191cms MM can play that dual role of tall defender and rebounding runner but yeah, another Seedsman (189cms) or Smith (190cms) in their prime would be good.

Good OP, very interesting and thoughtful.

I agree strongly with the bold highlighted above.
Some players' first instinct when they get the ball (eg after a mark or a free) is to stop and look eg McHenry does that often, even when he's open and could run forward. Luke Brown used to do that too --- stop, look, think --- meanwhile the oppo is setting up.
Other players have all ready done the looking before they get the ball, know where their teammates are (within an area of changing movement), and their first instinct is to GO. I think MM is all ready good at that --- he's quick to give off under pressure and when he's open he takes off dynamically. At 191cms MM can play that dual role of tall defender and rebounding runner but yeah, another Seedsman (189cms) or Smith (190cms) in their prime would be good.
If only we had a tall, attacking defender with a great kick

Remove this Banner Ad

Back