Soccer rebranded as football by PC commentators

Remove this Banner Ad

Not sure it assists your left wing theory OutbackJack but you do see the Fairfax press referring to soccer as Football in NSW but call it soccer in The Age.
As I said originally, it irks me the way the names were changed.

I live in hope:
1. Collingwood Football Club are not renamed Collingwood AFL Club.
2. The Socceroos are not renamed the Footballeroos.

:):thumbsu:

It's called 'Association Football'.

'Football' for short.

Its actually called 'soccer' for short.

The term was coined by the people in England who invented the game back in the 1860's.

They did that to avoid confusion with the other code of football, rugger.

How sensible they were.

The other time I want to vomit is when I hear the thicknecked thugs describing describing thugby as "footy" FFS they would be lucky to kick the ball 6 times a game!

Its closer to wrestling than any true game of FOOTBALL and would be better described as throwball.

Let us hope that the Age, HS and a few other dailies remain firm to calling soccer "soccer", which is the correct name in Australian English, even supported by the Macquarie Dictionary.

But the worst thing, as one poster has mentioned, is describing soccer as Australian Football. This is happening a lot and it's just plain ambiguous at best, completely wrong at worst.

Our national game is called: "Australian Football". The term should only be used for describing Australian Football.

If you want to write about soccer in this country, talk about Australian Soccer.

Dealing with the big issues on BigFooty.

Call it whatever you want. No-one should have the right to tell anyone what they can and can't call a sport. Neither sport has an exclusive claim to the term football.

To me the bigger issue is the AFL pushing down everyone's throats that the sport is called AFL instead of Aussie Rules or Australian Football.

How many people here actually refer to Australian Rules as football anyway...it's footy, or Aussie Rules or AFL. Seems a bit silly to get uptight about people using a term that we ourselves hardly use anyway.

I agree with the poster above...it's more irritating hearing the AFL try to brand the whole sport as AFL.

I happened to get a glance at a copy of The Australian on the weekend.

Interestingly they refer to our game as Australian Football and have it at the top of each revelant article.

Been doing that for years. Same with the Canberra Times here in the ACT.

I happened to get a glance at a copy of The Australian on the weekend.

Interestingly they refer to our game as Australian Football and have it at the top of each revelant article.

Good, that's the official and correct name, especially for a paper catering for people in non-heartland areas.

Obviously the HS and Age use just Football, and that is correct for its market as well.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back