Society and Culture BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

Melbourne:

Home of AFL, Australian Open, Royal Melbourne Golf Club (in the top five courses in the world), Melbourne Cricket Club, Melbourne Cup and a whole bunch of successful sport teams.

It’s pretentious wank but it’s not without merit.
What successful sports teams outside of local sports?
Cricket - fair
Horses racing - local
Tennis - well has to be somewhere in Australia
Golf- lol
Says more for the lack of cities in Australia.

You missed F1 at Albert Park which is massive, motorcycle grand prix at Phillip Island, soccer at AAMI park...

Sporting capital is a big call given some places in North America, but I think it's quite difficult to argue that it's not in the top 5-10 cities in the world for sports at a bare minimum. If you look at other sports mad cities like Barcelona or San Francisco they are often much more limited in terms of the variety of sports.
What other city has more world events than that? It's not bad for a Australian city.

What successful sports teams outside of local sports?
Cricket - fair
Horses racing - local
Tennis - well has to be somewhere in Australia
Golf- lol
Says more for the lack of cities in Australia.

Sporting capital refers to events that are on rather than performance I think.

Cricket - one of the best stadiums in the world, without question in the top 10, and a home ground of the greatest cricketing nation over the last 50 years.
Horse racing - people travel to the cup, top 10 horse races in the world.
Tennis - top 4 tournaments in the world.
Golf - not sure what you mean by lol but golf is one of the world's most popular sports.
F1 - top 20 automotive sporting events in the world.

If you were to be totally objective, and assign each stadium and events on a ranking scale, it would be very difficult to argue Melbourne wouldn't be very, very close to the top if not #1.

Melbourne:

Home of AFL, Australian Open, Royal Melbourne Golf Club (in the top five courses in the world), Melbourne Cricket Club, Melbourne Cup and a whole bunch of successful sport teams.

It’s pretentious wank but it’s not without merit.
So, we are counting cricket and golf as sports now? Right.

You missed F1 at Albert Park which is massive, motorcycle grand prix at Phillip Island, soccer at AAMI park...

Sporting capital is a big call given some places in North America, but I think it's quite difficult to argue that it's not in the top 5-10 cities in the world for sports at a bare minimum. If you look at other sports mad cities like Barcelona or San Francisco they are often much more limited in terms of the variety of sports.

Don't forget the ripcurl pro championship brahhhh

Jealousy is a curse mate.
It's home for you atm embrace it.
I'll throw my mop at you from level 3 on sunday you ungrateful egg

Jealous of this shitshow?

Victoria is a hole. Population baling in record numbers etc

Stop reading the propaganda and get out of the janitors closet. Have a look at what’s going on around you.

Don't forget the ripcurl pro championship brahhhh

That’s being held in Newcastle NSW this year?

Yep Bells Beach is being held interstate.

sPoRTs CaPiTAl

Jealous of this shitshow?

Victoria is a hole. Population baling in record numbers etc

Stop reading the propaganda and get out of the janitors closet. Have a look at what’s going on around you.

Lived in every state around Australia. Love SA to live but I'm not over 65 yet and ready to retire , when I lived in SA there wasn't much going on around me.
Victoria isn't a hole.. Yeah sure it was this year but it'll bounce back quick , economists already predicting this state to return to pre pandemic levels by mid this year, the best rebound out of this pandemic of any state. Transport upgrades and infrastructure here is booming. The only s**t thing about this state is the ridiculous housing prices. Some parts are overpopulated , most major cities are..Most of us don't care about a 30 minute average drive to work , people in SA are hysterical if they have to drive 20 minutes anywhere it seems.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lived in every state around Australia. Love SA to live but I'm not over 65 yet and ready to retire , when I lived in SA there wasn't much going on around me.
Victoria isn't a hole.. Yeah sure it was this year but it'll bounce back quick , economists already predicting this state to return to pre pandemic levels by mid this year, the best rebound out of this pandemic of any state. Transport upgrades and infrastructure here is booming. The only sh*t thing about this state is the ridiculous housing prices. Some parts are overpopulated , most major cities are..Most of us don't care about a 30 minute average drive to work , people in SA are hysterical if they have to drive 20 minutes anywhere it seems.

The only thing back to prepandemic is the traffic which is as reported by all major news services yesterday worse than before. Add 2 minutes to your punt road journey people! Why? No one wants to use this famed public transport.

If you think Melbourne will “be back” in just over 3 months you need to stop reading your mopboy union newsletter and get out and have a look at what’s going on.

All s**t aside this will take years to get over not months. Not just in Victoria.

I'm not going to comment on other sports in the Melbourne `sporting capital of the world ' debate, but in horse racing eg Flemington is right up there with the best, and I suspect is comfortably amongst the top 4 or 5 race courses in the world, plus the prize money on offer is a huge attraction for overseas trainers and owners.

Some of the supposedly highly rated European ( inc English and Irish) tracks aren't much better than versions of Stoney Creek without the gum trees, and even our local courses, eg Murray Bridge and Balaklava would put many of them to shame.

Watched a major global sporting event which finished earlier this week. Beamed live to over 100 countries. No mention of Malbun although one of the members of the winning team is from Bendigo originally.

This event has previously been held in Australia but surprising not in the "sporting capital of the world".

I can almost guarantee you that if you asked anyone else in the world (outside of the Australian bubble), what the world capital of sport was, the answer would not be Melbourne, it wouldn't even be in the top 5.

Australian capital of sport, yeah go on. Only because they'll sell their arse for any show.

My contribution to the "Melbourne sporting capital of the world" debate ...

I have lived for extended periods in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, and now Brisbane. Each capital has their own strengths and personality when it comes to sports IMO. But, I must admit to being blown away by the Melbourne public's approach to sporting events, and IMO this is what sets it apart from the other capital cities. They really love going out and supporting their team, and other sports in general, by active attendance. Whereas Sydney especially is hopeless at this, and struggle to fill stadiums and sporting events.

It is this facet that attracts events and promoters to Melbourne especially, they generally know that Melbournites will get off their bums and go buy tickets to attend.

My contribution to the "Melbourne sporting capital of the world" debate ...

I have lived for extended periods in Adelaide, Melbourne, Sydney, and now Brisbane. Each capital has their own strengths and personality when it comes to sports IMO. But, I must admit to being blown away by the Melbourne public's approach to sporting events, and IMO this is what sets it apart from the other capital cities. They really love going out and supporting their team, and other sports in general, by active attendance. Whereas Sydney especially is hopeless at this, and struggle to fill stadiums and sporting events.

It is this facet that attracts events and promoters to Melbourne especially, they generally know that Melbournites will get off their bums and go buy tickets to attend.
Where does Norf fit in to this?

Melbourne:

No one, including me, calls London the sporting capital of the world but off the top of my head:

Home of the EPL and FA Cup, Wimbledon, Lords, Royal Ascot, Silverstone for F1 and Moto GP (closer to London than Philip Island is to Melbourne). Has hosted the Olympics (twice) and the World Cup final as well as regular season NFL and NBA games etc.

Maybe they don't have any good golf courses nearby (?) but they do have the darts world championship at the Ally Pally which more than makes up for it.

I can almost guarantee you that if you asked anyone else in the world (outside of the Australian bubble), what the world capital of sport was, the answer would not be Melbourne, it wouldn't even be in the top 5.

Australian capital of sport, yeah go on. Only because they'll sell their arse for any show.

Furthermore, if you ask anyone else in the world to just name an Australian City, Malbun would be number 3 at best, probably number 4

This is correct, but people not being aware of the sporting events Melbourne has on doesn't change the facts. It's very hard to do objectively, but I'd argue Melbourne is definitely in the top 10 which isn't bad for a country of <30 million people. I agree that it's wanky to say "World's Sporting Capital", but the reality is that "World's Greatest Ratio of Large Sporting Events Per Capita" doesn't quite have the same ring.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back