Society and Culture BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

If I were dirt poor, with no health insurance, with F all education, a job on the line that supported my family, no savings and a need to put food on the table...............I to would be buying a gun to protect my right to live and I dare say you would to.

And whose fault is that?

There are 330 million Americans. People that claim "All Americans are dumb stupid Rednecks" have just about as much perspective as the people they are trying to mock and demonize.

You're right. Some of them have different coloured necks.

A lot of these protests are silently backed and organised by Trump’s party

(citation needed)

Silently? The NRA has long been a republican institution. They are perfectly capable of organizing protests without any form of government push to do so. They'll do it themselves.

Can I ask where you got your figure from?

A credit Suisse wealth report, released circa 2018. The report was in USD so we would have taken a hit but nevertheless it highlights the stark contract between Australians and the US.

The report was in USD so we would have taken a hit but nevertheless it highlights the stark contract between Australians and the US.
Taken a hit? We look at the number claimed and call it ridiculously high... but you're saying the number is actually USD, so in AUD it should be even higher...

Sure, this is Finder and news.com.au but the number listed here is 28k, an order of magnitude lower than your claimed number

Also from https://www.canstar.com.au/savings-accounts/average-australian-savings/
Based ME Bank's Financial Comfort Survey in 2019.
DES-455-Article-Graphs_640x360_v3-01.jpg

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Taken a hit? We look at the number claimed and call it ridiculously high... but you're saying the number is actually USD, so in AUD it should be even higher...

Sure, this is Finder and news.com.au but the number listed here is 28k, an order of magnitude lower than your claimed number

Also from https://www.canstar.com.au/savings-accounts/average-australian-savings/
Based ME Bank's Financial Comfort Survey in 2019.
DES-455-Article-Graphs_640x360_v3-01.jpg

cash savings versus wealth are very different things. Only a fool would have large amounts of cash on hand without a strategic reason.

a bank deposit delivers a negative return after inflation and tax, same said for cash under the pillow.

most would have the majority of their wealth in property and shares (including their super).

A lot of these protests are silently backed and organised by Trump’s party

In places like Indo, politicians can rent a crowd and buy votes. I wonder if peasant parts of the US, this can be achieved?

Then again, some sports grants are enough to get things across the line here.

cash savings versus wealth are very different things. Only a fool would have large amounts of cash on hand without a strategic reason.

a bank deposit delivers a negative return after inflation and tax, same said for cash under the pillow.

most would have the majority of their wealth in property and shares (including their super).

Ah so its a wealth thing... well then you really shouldn't have said
and an average of $240k of savings

And of course Suisse's wealth levels do include property value, super annuation etc.
On that in 2019 they did rate Australia as having something like 1.2million millionaires.

Last edited:
You generally need to drive about 30 to 40kms out of every major city in this country to find anyone still uniquely Australian.

lol that's not true anymore either. The mental healthcare overflow system, aka public housing, at least in NSW, makes sure that you can find plenty of "unique" Australians, of every shade, well inside the mythical Goats' cheese curtain of the inner city. Another sticky cliche that old mate Bernard Salt (of avocado fame) has left us with.

In places like Indo, politicians can rent a crowd and buy votes. I wonder if peasant parts of the US, this can be achieved?

Then again, some sports grants are enough to get things across the line here.

You wonder? If?

Given the billions spent on elections in the US one elite (pollies and donors) are definitely buying something for another part of the elite (more tax breaks or more free trade depending on where you sit on the mainstream Red to Blue spectrum right of Bernie). Not doing it for the peasants in the main. Even the occasional philanthropic gesture like attempted healthcare is bloody difficult there.

And which peasants, do you mean? Redneck "peasants" in Wyoming have more leverage per head than "urban peasants" of say Chicago. Playing to gun rights, land clearing and anti-immigrants in Wyoming is more a piece of identity politics than ... what gets called identity politics in Chicago. Once you know who you're talking about... of course you can buy "the peasants". Since 2010, business as usual for Republicans, the distribution of "their" peasants works for them. In states that actually have large minorities, promoting voter suppression is just buying off one set of "peasants" by promising to suppress another set. Right wing identity politics by another name.

By comparison our sports grant thing is *so* petty and embarrassing (still sucks). Be thankful that our electorates can't be gerrymandered to hell, our Senate isn't near as badly shanked towards small states as the US is, for mandatory voting and that we got rid of things that "suppress the vote". So marginals rather than all-out extremists tend to get outsize attention. Comparing the "debate" over this, with the shizenstorm that rightly nailed Ros Kelly and her infamous whiteboard is one symptom that our "civil defences" are weakening though.

What Howard did in the late 1990s, starting with co-opting Hanson to wedge Labor... that's launching a war on culture, whether he meant it that way or no. We're very lucky IMO that he also took a lot of "our peasants'" guns away.

OK so it’s wealth, not savings. Circling back to the initial post then, you’re saying that Americans on average only have $10K in wealth? That cannot be right.

It is easy to bag US citizens with an Australian perspective.

In Oz we have free health, a social security system and an average of $240k of savings. The US does not have free health, their health insurance is often linked to their job (no job no insurance), a s**t social security system and an average of $10k of savings.

If I were dirt poor, with no health insurance, with F all education, a job on the line that supported my family, no savings and a need to put food on the table...............I to would be buying a gun to protect my right to live and I dare say you would to.

Rather than attack the individuals, why not consider why they are behaving like that. Just like attacking chinese for eating bats......ask why and then focus on helping change that.

This is nice in theory and all, but almost to a man those armed protestors are the same people who keep voting for the party which fights so hard against universal health care, sick leave and welfare. So * them.

This is nice in theory and all, but almost to a man those armed protestors are the same people who keep voting for the party which fights so hard against universal health care, sick leave and welfare. So fu** them.

Yeah nah. Angry at stupid I get, but ... they're already voting for the person who is fu**ing them, and have accepted him and his party as their personal saviors. It's well beyond a tragedy and none of their kids deserve it, for example. It's like watching a slow motion Jim Jones tribute show, and I'm old enough to remember the original event.

I believe that racism is worse to the perpetrator than to the victim. If you had to choose, who would you rather be: a Nazi guard or a Jewish prisoner?

If the Pies want to play with a hand tied to their backs, the rest of the competition should be thankful. If Collingwood doesn’t want to make amends, that’s on them.

Whatever their prejudice is, there are plenty of opportunities for the victims to play elsewhere. The best thing they can do is beating Collingwood. Always. No mercy.

Hopefully, eventually, the Pies will learn from it.

I believe that racism is worse to the perpetrator than to the victim. If you had to choose, who would you rather be: a Nazi guard or a Jewish prisoner?

If the Pies want to play with a hand tied to their backs, the rest of the competition should be thankful. If Collingwood doesn’t want to make amends, that’s on them.

Whatever their prejudice is, there are plenty of opportunities for the victims to play elsewhere. The best thing they can do is beating Collingwood. Always. No mercy.

Hopefully, eventually, the Pies will learn from it.
You do know what happened to those Jewish prisoners, don’t you?

You do know what happened to those Jewish prisoners, don’t you?
Pretty much. That’s why I have asked. Knowing what happened in those concentration camps, who would you rather be?

Would you prefer mistreating and killing innocent fellow human beings? Or would rather prefer suffering and risking being killed, but being innocent and doing no harm to others?

Putting it mildly, as Socrates did in “Gorgias:” do you prefer committing injustice or suffering injustice?

It’s a fair and important question.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back