Something is on the nose...and it's Collingwood

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit disconcerting to visit the official Collingwood site, and be greeted with messages of 'Walsh speaks', 'Anderson speaks' - and see deflection and blame.

Reeks of self-preservation and denial, rather than any sort of clarity around what's actually happened - and what they plan on doing to fix it.

I suspect the petition floating around with 1,000+ member signatures is really going to test this whole 'poor us' thing the Collingwood management are going with right now.

Just digging further and further - and as it did with Adelaide and Essendon, they'll just keep making it worse until they actually make an admission of fault.

Until then, we watch in interest as they continue to set fire to the rubble.

Collingwood and Carlton are 2 sets of supporters I cannot have a shred of sympathy for. I think I enjoyed watching the pies lose that GF to west coast almost as much as I enjoyed seeing us win ours. I wish them years of misery:)

I know some people may ‘wah’ at you for saying you have no sympathy etc...

But * me I love this; I hate Richmond and Carlton fans too (even though I’ve never actually had any run ins with either, ever.)

I love the passionate sports hate.

Bit more to it than that. Collingwood had been playing the media game against Treloar for a couple of weeks, and Bucks went so far as to tell him his mates wanted him to leave etc. With Stephenson they didn't even tell him he was on the trade table in his exit interview. His manager called him a week before the trade period and told him he suspected they were trying to trade him. A week later, having heard nothing from anyone at the club, Stephenson called Bucks up who told him it was true, and in part because 'he hadn't opened up enough' to the group.

Collingwood treated both of them poorly. If they had just told them that the cap was f’ed and they thought their two contracts had the biggest gap between expectation and reality and thus they needed to let them go, then people (and I imagine the two players in question) would have been much more understanding. Them just coming out after the trade period and shitting on both players a bit more (the unnecessary article about Treloar and his partner, and then Geoff Walsh swinging back at Stephenson and misconstruing what he said) and then doubling down on denying they had cap issues is just the cherry on top.
Yeah maybe. Arse-covering from people who have stuffed up the TPPs and trying to deflect from their salary cap issues. Makes sense.

Treloar and Stephenson are hurt that Collingwood unceremoniously dumped them. That's the nub of it. The manner of their departure was less than ideal. We all could probably do without the ham-fisted attempts at spin from Collingwood. But years from now, do you think anyone will care?

I just think people put too much importance on the stuff which is said during Trade Week. It's always spin and self-serving crap. Why pay attention to any of it? If anything, I just laugh at clubs like Collingwood and Essendon, the way they bullshiit their fans and spin, spin, spin everything.

Bottom line is that clubs let go of players they no longer want; other players decide to leave their club & head to a new club for more money/success/whatever. And then you have the trade argy-bargy between clubs where various players are shopped around and haggled over - some of these trades go through and some don't.

But this time every year, you get footy people pointing the finger at each other - list manager vs list manager.... list manager vs player agent.... player vs coach - and every year, footy fans get caught up in this melodrama.

Does any of it really matter? To us, I mean... I'm sympathetic to Treloar or Stephenson if they're unhappy with Collingwood. But it's their problem. Not yours or mine. I just don't get why AFL barracking extends beyond the playing field to giving oppo clubs shiit over the way they mishandle the Trade Week PR. Who cares? Is there some prize I'm unaware of which is handed out to the nicest club? Will Collingwood be docked 4 premiership points in 2021 for the way they have acted?

Last edited:
I find this intriguing.
If Eddie is overseeing a shambles why don't members at the AGM demand better? Why doesn't a rival ticket challenge?

The AGM that happened in February? When we'd just come off consecutive years of being in a Grand Final and a Prelim and strong financial performances? Do I have to explain to you why there wouldn't have been any serious momentum for a challenge then?

Or are you talking about an AGM that hasn't happened yet? In which case why are you using the phrase 'why doesn't'? We don't know what is going to happen yet, this sh*t only went down 4 days ago.

Even on the ruthless side of things Collingwood messed up. The idea of being ruthless is for the club to gain something in the end. What Collingwood did was effectively traded out 3 first round picks (two first rnd picks they traded for Treloar and the pick 6 they used for Stephenson) only for a pick 14 in this draft. You can tell that even Ned Guy didn't believe his own spin with his interview after the trade period.
A players cost, what 6 years ago for Treloar, is not really the point.

Once a player is on the list, how they got their is really not that important, what is important is what output you are getting for the $$ they are on.

The point being that those three players were due large contracts that were primarily based on 2018 contract extensions (or back ending in the case of Treloar).

And the club has ‘ruthlessly’ looked at what they expect the output to be in the next couple of years and have gone...* we don’t like what we see here.

Hence, club has moved on three expensive players who they didn’t see living up to the value of some inflated contracts.

It looks s**t now, but if in a couple of years time if Stepho hasn’t pulled his finger out, Adz keeps pinging hamstrings and not running defensively at least they aren’t Pie problems anymore.

That is the call the Pies made, moving on players they no longer saw as being part of future success.

Sure the Pies got themselves into the mess by giving expensive extensions, but the point being that no other clubs were banging down the door to get them....multiple clubs could have had a crack at Stepho if they rated him, but crickets.

Collingwood ruthlessly moved on 3 players who they predicted that their contracts won’t meet their output at the Pies.

The players will be fine, they all get their $$, so the only losers really are Pies supporters who thought the guys were ‘worth’ more.

The AGM that happened in February? When we'd just come off consecutive years of being in a Grand Final and a Prelim and strong financial performances? Do I have to explain to you why there wouldn't have been any serious momentum for a challenge then?

Or are you talking about an AGM that hasn't happened yet? In which case why are you using the phrase 'why doesn't'? We don't know what is going to happen yet, this sh*t only went down 4 days ago.
Fair point

Why I do agree the whole thing was a s**t show on how it was handled and went down plus the return was poor. I for one believe the club were in there right to be unhappy with the situation with Treloar and his partner. Not many people can make it work without major issues causing strain on the relationship. Football is a high pressure industry as it is without adding another layer of mental stress in your personal life. The club obviously thought they could shift him to the Gold Coast but that went to s**t when Adam was adamant he wouldn't leave Melbourne and his arrangement would work. By that stage the media leaks were out and the club has decided that either way the relationship was fractured and they would move him on regardless.

Clearly from a club point of view the dialogue with Adam could have been translated a whole lot better than it was. The simple fact is when you want to move a contracted player on against his will things people don't mean will be said. It does in my view show that clubs do need a bit more control over contracted players. Players are happy to demand a trade to a club of choice with a year or 2 left on a contract but clubs are a held to account.

The salary cap issues I don't believe were or are as bad as the media made out it to be. The real issue was we didn't have space to move in the open market and the club clearly thinks we finished where our current list deserves. So how do you get back in contention for a flag when you can't bring mature players in and you have a relatively poor draft hand.

In the end the club couldn't have been doing too bad if the players who were moved on were more than just happy to stay. Even after all what was said Adam still wanted to stay.

So you're expecting that Treloar should have to potentially upend his life and go wherever Collingwood can get the best deal, because of Collingwoods incompetence in managing the salary cap?

The situation is nothing to do with the aflpa strongarming club's over player movement, but entirely an incompetent administration trying to force the consequences for their own negligence onto players who have done nothing wrong. That Collingwood got to the point of having to publicly trash his reputation and relationship with the club so that he would be so unhappy that he agreed to leave is disgraceful, and in the real world would be a lay down misere in court for wrongful dismissal and compensation payments.

It still is. If he wanted to, he could take action. They simply can't trash him the way they did.

The players that were about to be traded should have been given fair warning. Maybe also with a no-media clause until after trade period so the Pies could have tried to shop them around earlier without it becoming obvious it was a salary dump. Dont know if they didn't at least try to fix some of the salary cap issues internally, De Goey/Moore/Grundy come across as mercenaries that weren't interested in taking less to keep a team together that were challenging.

It looks sh*t now, but if in a couple of years time if Stepho hasn’t pulled his finger out, Adz keeps pinging hamstrings and not running defensively at least they aren’t Pie problems anymore.

Incorrect you will still be paying them to play for other clubs. And you will still be in effect paying Dayne Beams.

I tend to feel they are playing a US politic style disinformation shot at this, not realising we are not morons like they are in the US and wont buy it.

The stench of this will hang around for another 5 years

The quotes from Buckley's interview this morning published on the AFL website today are actually very fair and reasonable IMO.

He acknowledged the club's mistakes in the process, while also clarifying the club's perspective, without "biting back" in an emotive or vitriolic manner.

Whether you choose to take his perspective as the truth is your choice, but IMO there wasn't anything he said that came across like "treating people like morons" or anything like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The quotes from Buckley's interview this morning published on the AFL website today are actually very fair and reasonable IMO.

He acknowledged the club's mistakes in the process, while also clarifying the club's perspective, without "biting back" in an emotive or vitriolic manner.

Whether you choose to take his perspective as the truth is your choice, but IMO there wasn't anything he said that came across like "treating people like morons" or anything like that.
I don’t know I read that puff piece and it came across as nothing but spin and blaming Treloar for misinterpretation.

Yet if a player wants to leave the club its all good ???? its just a business get over it , well done collingwood

The way Collingwood used Treloar's mental health battle in this was rather disgusting too. They tried to make it seem like they were doing him a favour trying to ship him offl and that clearly Treloar did not know what was in his own best interest, when in reality everything Collingwood did was purely for Collingwood. Not once did Buckley actually consider Treloar's mental health, and I suspect Buckley really does not care about Treloar's battle with depression.
no .THATS what the media think

The silver lining for Collingwood fans is that the worst, most painful part of this guy wrenching trade period is over, and they can start the healing process as a club.

I do not believe players are as sentimental as the supporters, and i think they should be able to cope with the exits of Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips.

I think Buckley is Right in his belief that the Pies need to regenerate their list with more quality youth, and there is obviously more to the Stephenson departure than has been revealed to the public

The one thing they hashed up badly is blaming Treloar's partner Kim for his trade, if Buckley and the club made a public apology to her and Adam, that would go a long way.

Next season may be tougher than usual for Pies fans, but take away all the emotion and heated passion from disillusioned Collingwood fans over the past week, I honestly don't believe things are as bad at Collingwood as they seem.

Reef McInnes will he a beauty (projected top ten player in his draft class), nailing a few of their other picks will be crucial obviously..

Furthermore, Port Adelaide trading away a fan favourite in Chad Wingard worked out remarkably well for them (granted they got a better return than what the Pies got for Treloar and Stephenson)

The silver lining for Collingwood fans is that the worst, most painful part of this guy wrenching trade period is over, and they can start the healing process as a club.

I do not believe players are as sentimental as the supporters, and i think they should be able to cope with the exits of Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips.

I think Buckley is Right in his belief that the Pies need to regenerate their list with more quality youth, and there is obviously more to the Stephenson departure than has been revealed to the public

The one thing they hashed up badly is blaming Treloar's partner Kim for his trade, if Buckley and the club made a public apology to her and Adam, that would go a long way.

Next season may be tougher than usual for Pies fans, but take away all the emotion and heated passion from disillusioned Collingwood fans over the past week, I honestly don't believe things are as bad at Collingwood as they seem.

Reef McInnes will he a beauty (projected top ten player in his draft class), nailing a few of their other picks will be crucial obviously..

Furthermore, Port Adelaide trading away a fan favourite in Chad Wingard worked out remarkably well for them (granted they got a better return than what the Pies got for Treloar and Stephenson)
very well said

Very hard to understand how you let a guy who pulls down over 600 disposals a year and a third year player who averages 1.5 goals a game for next to nothing. Can't see how this improves Collingwood over the next couple of years?

I don't think anyone has an issue with moving players on (even under contract players, considering how often it works the other way), and people would probably respect it if a club came out and said "we dont think you are worth this contract, and will pay you to move elsewhere to free up salary space"
Probably didnt help that they were doing it to a player that had consistently pushed money in his contract further and further back to allow the pies to recruit Wells / Beams / Mayne etc.

However Collingwood didnt say that, they first of all leaked that Treloar might want to go to Gold Coast (and GC were interested), and when Treloar said he didn't want to go they leaked some story that they were doing this for Treloar's mental health.

Then outright denied that there were any salary cap issues, treating their own fans like morons.

That's ignoring the stories about what Bucks may or may not have said to Treloar about coming back to a hostile workplace and the senior players wanting him gone...

Agree. Seems like the Pies are finally acknowledging what everyone already knew.

I honestly don't believe things are as bad at Collingwood as they seem.

No, they are much worse.

Regardless of the merits or otherwise of dispensing with Treloar, Stephenson and Phillips, it still leaves spuds like Thomas (4.4. this year), Mayne (slower than frozen treacle) and Cox (pushed under the ball too easily even if he can see out of both eyes) on the list, and one of them is reportedly on $500,000 plus.

Anderson mentioned Sier in his email, conveniently forgetting that he has been on the list for five seasons and has played half a decent season. His finger is planted so firmly up his arse there isn't a colorectal surgeon in the world that could guarantee removal.

Geoff Walsh has revealed himself to be completely useless at managing a football department, and is clearly only interested in topping up his pension. The two coaches who were responsible for the improvement in 2018 in Longmuir and Hocking are gone, and the coaching triumvirate of Buckley, Harvey and Sanderson are so far out of their depth Mick McGuane, Phil Carman and and Tony Shaw would be a more attractive option.

Mcguire sticks his foot in his mouth every time he opens it, which has had a devastating impact on a hospitality industry struggling to revive itself after Dickhead Dan thought letting his subcontinental friends needed to learn about diversity instead of infection control.

Ned Guy clearly needs to be shown how to use an Excel spreadsheet instead of a whiteboard the tea lady wipes clean every night.

The place is a cesspool, and until a President with standards is elected, the club will never taste success.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back