Song Contest Part XV, Host: Hoos, Theme: Songs Beginning With "H", Votes Due: Sunday 8pm AEDT

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
We're talking about bands per-se not solo artists aren't we?
Jimmy Barnes was born in Glasgow too.
Colin Hay and Bon Scott were also born in Scotland along with Angus and Malcolm Young and their older brother George Young from The Easybeats.

Unlike Neil Finn they all started their music careers in Australia though.

Plugger35

The umpires are always right!
Sep 27, 2008
AFL Club
St Kilda
Other Teams
Chelsea, Black Caps, Subiaco
What about Eurogliders? Grace Knight's musical career didn't begin in Australia.
I wasn't aware of that, I know the Eurogliders formed in Perth and I just assumed she was from here.

I like that NZ band called Fleetwood Mac
'
They would probably make my top 5 NZ bands now too.

Elton Johns Wig

Bruncher 🏆
Apr 20, 2014
Brunch
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Luton Town Cronulla #FinsUp
You hate Elton. My irony metre just broke.
That's the joke.gif

My wife LOVES him. I keep taking the piss out of him, particularly his hair. I needed to create an account to comment on the Tiges board and the magic just happened.

He's got a couple of excellent songs, but generally too meh for me.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hoos

Bruncher 🏆
Mar 9, 2007
way over yonder
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Cheddar AFC
Im not knocking The Kinks, I was only disagreeing with them being "far superior musically" to the bloody Beatles.
I know they were banned.
I never said it was because of their music quality.
Fair enough. Look, I really like the Beatles, but I just don't hold them in the same regard as The Kinks (or the Stones and Who).
I think if they were recording in the states in the late 60s they would have been far more successful as their sound/lyrics/song subjects would have been more universal.
I ******* love them, dont get me wrong, but I grew up in a commonwealth country being mainlined BBC programming.
The Beatles dripped England at times as well but they had already established themselves.
The Kinks were, I agree, easily the most English sounding of their contemporaries. Even so, their songs reflect everyday situations that could just as easily be American. I think it was the lack of a touring presence more than anything else that hurt them.
I know its a small thing but if Lola had started "I met her inna bar down in New Orleans"...
Maybe. It did reach #9 in the U.S though.

por_please_ya

Sharbat Gula
Mar 26, 2009
Hogwarts
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
East Side Hawks, Strikers, NMFC
Whenever You Am I is nommed I know it's Elton Johns Wig :p They've got some great songs though! I thank you for introducing me to them.

My top 5 Aussie bands are going to be rather different lol... I wasn't sure if you were doing rock bands specifically.
5: Cut Copy
4: Icehouse
3: Dead Letter Circus
2: RÜFÜS DU SOL
1: Karnivool

I've seen all of these bands live EXCEPT for Cut Copy :'( which makes me very sad. However I'll be seeing them next year when they're support act for NEW ORDER oh my stars.

Top Bottom