Draft Watcher 2018 (SA) Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think he’s worth two early picks as a contracted player - one in the 5 to 10 range, and one around 15 to 20. Or an early first and a good young player. And as a draft fan, I’d be keeping the picks we get for him.

But I’m also pro trading Neale. His value is high and he’s not irreplaceable. Even as good as he is. Means more midfield time for Brayshaw and Cerra, who I’d hope (as top 5 picks) both become better players than Neale.
Chris25 have you seen much of Bailey Smith? Same reasoning I personally would prefer taking pick 5 to the draft.

I understand both sides of the discussion in trading for Neale from a Lions perspective, but like you, being a draft guy, would prefer to take a top 5 pick to the draft.

Hey mate, do you have access to supercoach scores for the draftees? I’ve got pick 7 in a keeper league and would be interested in some advice on who to pick. I’ll probably go best available but short of that I could really do with a fwd or f/m. Cheers

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Chris25 have you seen much of Bailey Smith? Same reasoning I personally would prefer taking pick 5 to the draft.

I understand both sides of the discussion in trading for Neale from a Lions perspective, but like you, being a draft guy, would prefer to take a top 5 pick to the draft.

Yeah I’ve seen more TAC Cup this year than I tend to let on. But there’s more than enough people talking up the Victorian players. So I focus more on the SA kids.

I like Bailey Smith though, I think everyone does. For me, Sam Walsh is a clear step above. But Smith is the next best pure midfielder - I make the distinction because Rankine and Rozee are so versatile with their work on the flanks. Does pretty much everything you want and has the size that teams covet.

He’d be an obvious pick for both Fremantle or Brisbane, if either of them even has pick 5 come draft night.

Yeah I’ve seen more TAC Cup this year than I tend to let on. But there’s more than enough people talking up the Victorian players. So I focus more on the SA kids.

I like Bailey Smith though, I think everyone does. For me, Sam Walsh is a clear step above. But Smith is the next best pure midfielder - I make the distinction because Rankine and Rozee are so versatile with their work on the flanks. Does pretty much everything you want and has the size that teams covet.

He’d be an obvious pick for both Fremantle or Brisbane, if either of them even has pick 5 come draft night.
We won't.

From what I've read on the Lions board today, don't be surprised if Port end up with pick 5 and pick 6 ends up back at Fremantle.

Pudney has no trouble finding it, excellent at clearances, genuine ball magnet, but man his kicking can be bad at times. Good hands though, probably worthy of a late pick or rookie listing. Fit guy, don't wanna say Kane Mitchell because he'll probably be a fair bit better than that but a similar type at least. Has some more size at least.

I look at him and see Kane Mitchell. The hair doesn't help. Plenty of worse footballers gone around than Kane though and even if that was his level I'm more than happy to see him on Ports list. Terrific kid.

You’d assume we’d be looking at Jordan Clark and Ian Hill. I think Clark goes 10-15 and Hill 15-20. So it’s no wonder we want that extra pick in the teens from Brisbane.

In terms of the South Aussies, Luke Valente is the one I like for us. He’s comparable to Andrew Brayshaw, a bit cleaner with his disposal off both feet. Good leadership and a nice balanced midfielder. Tom Sparrow as a more powerful midfielder, has a lower floor but a higher ceiling.

Otherwise plenty I like if we’re filling our list late or as rookies - Woodcock, Nietschke, Lewis, Saywell.

There is no way we take Valente. Too similar to a lot on our list. We won't backing a ball winning one paced mid with any high picks we have.

Pudney has no trouble finding it, excellent at clearances, genuine ball magnet, but man his kicking can be bad at times. Good hands though, probably worthy of a late pick or rookie listing. Fit guy, don't wanna say Kane Mitchell because he'll probably be a fair bit better than that but a similar type at least. Has some more size at least.

Yep I have serious doubts about him making it and wouldn't draft him.

He moves better, but I think Pudney is a bit like Michael Barlow. Good footballer and an absolute ball magnet, but doesn’t hurt with his disposal.

Barlow's disposal is significantly better than Kai's and Barlow was much better winning clearances. Kai is more an out in space guy and players like that who butcher the ball aren't great in my opinion.

You’d assume we’d be looking at Jordan Clark and Ian Hill. I think Clark goes 10-15 and Hill 15-20. So it’s no wonder we want that extra pick in the teens from Brisbane.

In terms of the South Aussies, Luke Valente is the one I like for us. He’s comparable to Andrew Brayshaw, a bit cleaner with his disposal off both feet. Good leadership and a nice balanced midfielder. Tom Sparrow as a more powerful midfielder, has a lower floor but a higher ceiling.

Otherwise plenty I like if we’re filling our list late or as rookies - Woodcock, Nietschke, Lewis, Saywell.

Sorry for some unknown reason I thought you were a cats supporter ignore my comments regarding luke V cause it doesn't apply to freo.

Barlow's disposal is significantly better than Kai's and Barlow was much better winning clearances. Kai is more an out in space guy and players like that who butcher the ball aren't great in my opinion.
Probably a reason why he doesn't play more reserves footy. Can get the footy, doesnt hurt you and ZERO defensive work. Reflects where Eagles coaching staff rated him in the u/18 B&F. Wasn't a NGA selection we wouldn't be talking about him.

Tom lewis height? Looking like the eagles first pick may be 60 . Need to find some late draft gems
Tom looks like a tackle machine on the inside a bit like viney

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tom lewis height? Looking like the eagles first pick may be 60 . Need to find some late draft gems
Tom looks like a tackle machine on the inside a bit like viney

Yeah he is very much in the Viney mould although I am not sure he has the same speed.

I put together a post trade week mock draft for the Fremantle board. Might as well post it here too...

It was a relatively quick effort, so I'll use that as a disclaimer if I didn't hit on everyone's needs. I have a feeling I know what the main comments/complaints will be, we'll see if I'm right.

Round 1
1. Carlton - Sam Walsh (184cm, 74kg from Geelong Falcons)
2. Gold Coast - Jack Lukosius (194cm, 85kg from Woodville West Torrens)
3. Gold Coast - Connor Rozee (185cm, 71kg from North Adelaide)
4. St Kilda - Max King (202cm, 87kg from Sandringham Dragons)
5. Port Adelaide - Izak Rankine (180cm, 76kg from West Adelaide)
6. Gold Coast - Bailey Smith (185cm, 82kg from Sandringham Dragons)
7. Sydney - Nick Blakey (194cm, 77kg from Sydney Swans Academy)
8. Western Bulldogs - Ben King (202cm, 83kg from Sandringham Dragons)
9. North Melbourne** - Tarryn Thomas (189cm, 76kg from North Launceston)
10. Adelaide - Jackson Hately (190cm, 81kg from Central District)
11. GWS - Jordan Clark (182cm, 78kg from Claremont)
12. Port Adelaide - Ian Hill (174cm, 65kg from Perth)
13. GWS - Jye Caldwell (186cm, 71kg from Bendigo Pioneers)
14. Geelong - Ned McHenry (178cm, 71kg from Geelong Falcons)
15. Adelaide - Sam Sturt (188cm, 78kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
16. Fremantle - Curtis Taylor (186cm, 79kg from Calder Cannons)
17. Port Adelaide - Tom Sparrow (182cm, 81kg from South Adelaide)
18. Adelaide - Luke Valente (186cm, 80kg from Norwood)
19. Collingwood** - Isaac Quaynor (182cm, 82kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
20. Richmond - Riley Collier-Dawkins (193cm, 88kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
21. Brisbane - Xavier Duursma (185cm, 71kg from Gippsland Power)
22. GWS - Liam Stocker (183cm, 83kg from Sandringham Dragons)
23. West Coast - Jez McLennan (183cm, 81kg from Central District)

Round 2
24. Adelaide - Bailey Williams (198cm, 95kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
25. GWS** - Kieran Briggs (200cm, 98kg from Pennant Hills)
26. West Coast - Luke Foley (187cm, 75kg from Subiaco)
27. Western Bulldogs** - Rhylee West (180cm, 80kg from Calder Cannons)
28. Melbourne - Zac Butters (181cm, 70kg from Western Jets)
29. Brisbane** - Connor McFadyen (190cm, 88kg from Brisbane Academy)
30. Gold Coast - Hayden Sampson (177cm, 67kg from South Adelaide)
31. Melbourne - Xavier O'Halloran (187cm, 83kg from Western Jets)
32. Gold Coast - Mitch Maguire (176cm, 75kg from Canberra)
33. Fremantle - Ely Smith (188cm, 86kg from Murray Bushrangers)
34. Western Bulldogs - Tom McKenzie (184cm, 76kg from Northern Knights)
35. North Melbourne** - Bailey Scott (186cm, 74kg from Broadbeach)
36. Sydney - Chayce Jones (180cm, 74kg from Launceston)
37. Collingwood** - Will Kelly (193cm, 83kg defender from Oakleigh Chargers)
38. Essendon - Sydney Stack (177cm, 72kg from Perth)
39. West Coast** - Jarrod Cameron (180cm, 69kg from Claremont)
40. Brisbane - Tom Berry (185cm, 76kg from GWV Rebels)
41. St Kilda - Jack Bytel (180cm, 80kg from Calder Cannons)
42. Melbourne** - Toby Bedford (176cm, 65kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
43. Richmond - Will Hamill (185cm, 70kg from Dandenong Stingrays)
44. Sydney - Riley Grundy (195cm, 79kg defender from Sturt)

Round 3
45. Sydney - Fraser Turner (186cm, 75kg from Clarence)
46. Sydney - Luke English (180cm, 74kg from Perth)
47. Fremantle - Damon Greaves (186cm, 74kg from East Perth)
48. Collingwood - Kyle Reid (193cm, 85kg from Gippsland Power)
49. Western Bulldogs - Xavier O'Neill (183cm, 78kg from Oakleigh Chargers)
50. St Kilda - Tom Joyce (180cm, 72kg from East Fremantle)

Nice work Chris - I dare say by pick 49 we will be using points on Buku Khamis who is a NGA player we rate highly. Hoping our other two (Chatfield & Dawson) slip through to us as cat B rookies.

Nice work Chris - I dare say by pick 49 we will be using points on Buku Khamis who is a NGA player we rate highly. Hoping our other two (Chatfield & Dawson) slip through to us as cat B rookies.

I didn't actually look at how many list spots team have, so it's possible I've overestimated some. In the case of Khamis and the Bulldogs, I have him getting a bid around the 50-60 mark. So they got lucky to sneak another pick in first. But I did select for them on the basis that they'll get Khamis too.

I didn't actually look at how many list spots team have, so it's possible I've overestimated some. In the case of Khamis and the Bulldogs, I have him getting a bid around the 50-60 mark. So they got lucky to sneak another pick in first. But I did select for them on the basis that they'll get Khamis too.
That would be a dream result, hope so

I put together a post trade week mock draft for the Fremantle board. Might as well post it here too...

It was a relatively quick effort, so I'll use that as a disclaimer if I didn't hit on everyone's needs. I have a feeling I know what the main comments/complaints will be, we'll see if I'm right.

What are your thoughts on Stocker and Chayce Jones? Seems like you aren't as high on them as some others...

What are your thoughts on Stocker and Chayce Jones? Seems like you aren't as high on them as some others...

Chayce Jones was one question I was waiting for. I actually have him top 15 on my big board, but he just happened to slide when I did the actual mock. I considered him for pretty much every pick after 10, but kept going another way for various reasons - players with extra size or speed, or better fits. There's a group of 12 or so midfielders I think could go anywhere from 15-35. Not all clubs will have the same order.

One of those players is Liam Stocker, who again I had top 15 when I last updated my big board. He could go anywhere in the second half of the first round, one of the safest options I'd have thought. I didn't think 22 was shockingly low for him. Just again, have teams looking in other directions - players with added versatility in Sturt and Taylor, SA clubs staying local, Brisbane favouring the Vic Country player.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back