Draft Expert Chris25's 2022 Young Talent Time

Remove this Banner Ad

I think there's enough to work with to justify a late pick, especially a rookie selection. I don't think he goes any higher than that, being an overage player and all that. But he has the size and strength you look for in your inside mids, runs hard both ways. Looks to me like his disposal has improved a bit since last year. Has also added another bow to his game, showing he can go forward as well. Bit of Will Brodie to him in that he's good at what he does, just a case of whether a team has the spot for him.

If we're talking Allies players though...I've got a real soft spot for Lloyd Johnston from the NT. Would love a team to give him a chance, versatile small/medium defender who could also be developed forward. Otherwise I have Lachlan Cowan as the top Allies prospect, he's not getting the attention he was earlier in the season. Then Jaspa Fletcher, Anthony Munkara, Tom McCallum, Harry Rowston, Nick Madden and Jason Gillbee as the other main draft hopefuls. Plus Ethan Grace, Ryan Eyers and Fletcher Hart as other 19 year olds in with a shot.
Ethan Grace gives me Keidean Coleman vibes - worth a rookie punt for a club and might be able to make an impact at AFL level with his kicking and decision making

I wasn't going to change my rankings for a while, but I couldn't not move Bailey Humphrey up. I was a fan pre injury, and I'm sold now on his return. Everyone else just moved down a spot to accommodate his move.

Where is Baily missing his shots at goal from?
Set shots or snaps from the boundary?
Looks he has genuine Beast Mode.

I'd happily take him there personally, I don't think he's quite in that conversation yet - not the consensus one anyway. It'd be hard to go past Wardlaw if he was available.

If you were the Eagles with pick 2 would you split that pick and aim for either Busslinger or another top 7 mid plus another 1st rounder?

Or would you just take Wardlaw?

Would like to see some more recent form on a player before commiting a top 2 pick personally.

Cheers.

Where is Baily missing his shots at goal from?
Set shots or snaps from the boundary?
Looks he has genuine Beast Mode.

There's no real rhyme or reason to his goal kicking. He's kicked hard set shots from tight angles, he's missed the easy ones. Kicked them on the run, missed everything on the run. But he's getting the shots on goal, and that's the important thing.

I'm a firm believer in that if something doesn't come naturally to you as a junior, it's not suddenly going to be natural as a pro - whether that's goal scoring, overhead marking, intercepting or anything else. You need the natural ability as a starting point, and then the improvement on that dictates how good you become. Me? I have no natural ability to improve upon. Humphrey? He has that natural forward ability, just needs to improve the finishing.

If you were the Eagles with pick 2 would you split that pick and aim for either Busslinger or another top 7 mid plus another 1st rounder?

Or would you just take Wardlaw?

Would like to see some more recent form on a player before commiting a top 2 pick personally.

Cheers.

I think splitting is always a good idea in theory, and every club's supporters come up with it every year - but you need a second team who wants to go the other way, and that's the hard part. Especially when the top talent perhaps isn't as strong as previous draft crops.

Personally, I would take Wardlaw. I'm sure my Fremantle bias plays into this, but the West Coast midfield is pretty uninspiring - especially in terms of young players. Chesser and Hough are both flankers for me, and I wasn't as big on Culley as others. Wardlaw is the one who could lead the group and make others look better. Ideally he'd have played a full season this year, but he's still in the #1 mix for a reason.

If North take Wardlaw, well...then it becomes harder. Splitting looks more appealing and into the range for the WA kids, but I'm not sure teams are going to be as willing to trade two first rounders for Sheezel. Best chance would maybe be Humphrey or even Cadman finishing the season with a bang, and a team falling in love. But if that happens, I'd just take Humphrey for West Coast.

And just on Busslinger, I'm a big fan of his. But West Coast have too many holes in the midfield and forward line to be spending a high pick on a KPD in my opinion, especially with Bazzo already developing.

Jake Walker stood out to me during his SANFL U18 campaign.
What are your thoughts on his game?
Shoosh...;)

Shush Shhhh GIF by MOODMAN

I think splitting is always a good idea in theory, and every club's supporters come up with it every year - but you need a second team who wants to go the other way, and that's the hard part. Especially when the top talent perhaps isn't as strong as previous draft crops.

Personally, I would take Wardlaw. I'm sure my Fremantle bias plays into this, but the West Coast midfield is pretty uninspiring - especially in terms of young players. Chesser and Hough are both flankers for me, and I wasn't as big on Culley as others. Wardlaw is the one who could lead the group and make others look better. Ideally he'd have played a full season this year, but he's still in the #1 mix for a reason.

If North take Wardlaw, well...then it becomes harder. Splitting looks more appealing and into the range for the WA kids, but I'm not sure teams are going to be as willing to trade two first rounders for Sheezel. Best chance would maybe be Humphrey or even Cadman finishing the season with a bang, and a team falling in love. But if that happens, I'd just take Humphrey for West Coast.

And just on Busslinger, I'm a big fan of his. But West Coast have too many holes in the midfield and forward line to be spending a high pick on a KPD in my opinion, especially with Bazzo already developing.
Pretty much what I’ve been saying, unlikely any team offers two first round picks to move up to the top end of the draft, unless it’s GWS offering two picks in the teens.

The original question about Jake Walker doesn't seem to be there anymore, but I'll answer it anyway...

I have Walker in my top 50, which I doubt many else would have - so I obviously like him. I thought he was one of the main positives to come out the SA side, especially going in reasonably unheralded with some injury affected seasons so far. He's just a hard worker in the middle, gave his all for every minute he played at the Champs. Showed some good power and burst which was nice, something clubs would look at when considering how he translates to the next level. Also not out of place in the forward half.

I'm not convinced he gets drafted, nothing is guaranteed outside the top 30 or so. And no combine invite isn't a good sign. But there's a little Tom Sparrow about his game, and I think there's enough to work with to justify a pick from 40 onwards.

The reason recruiters rate players form in the championships so highly, are obvious. The kids are playing with an against the best in the country. Thats not to say they discount other form lines.

I think the Saints would be happy to get Cam McKenzie at 9 or 10 whatever their pick. There is something about taking home grown products, they seem to come on quicker.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Thanks mate, no I actually agree with you.
I have been asked to justify it a few times, I think he'll be a PSD/Rookie pickup. A lot of Tasmanians do not agree.
He actually reminds me a bit of Orazio Fantasia, as he's really good beneath his knees in the same way.
He is absolutely dominating for North Launnie today. I have never seen a draft age player tear a game apart like he is!

Hey Chris, what's the major appeal on mitch szybkowski? Seems everyone rates him but reading notes, seems he always ends up I the second round. Why's he not rated inside the first round, he reads well?
I can tell you . He is a bit vanilla compared to a few others. Is only average pace wise and people have questioned his kicking in some games.
I still like him.

I can tell you . He is a bit vanilla compared to a few others. Is only average pace wise and people have questioned his kicking in some games.
I still like him.
He sounds like that (dare I say it) Luke Parker type that's developed enough to do well at underage level but questioning his tricks and attributes to dominate at the next level?

He sounds like that (dare I say it) Luke Parker type that's developed enough to do well at underage level but questioning his tricks and attributes to dominate at the next level?
Similar to that I would say. A few other of the inside players have a bit more visual X factor.
It may be a stretch but it would be nice if he got to our second pick and then someone bid on Alwyn Jnr :cool:

Similar to that I would say. A few other of the inside players have a bit more visual X factor.
It may be a stretch but it would be nice if he got to our second pick and then someone bid on Alwyn Jnr :cool:
Yeah Mitch reads like a real meat and potatoes player, someone you (should) know what you are going to get. I wouldn't mind that at Essendon for once.

Looks like it will just be McCallum (likely) and Cowan (definitely) being drafted out of Tas this year with extreme outside chances to Campbell and Leary. You have McCallum outside your 50, do you think he will be drafted?

I was asked about McCallum on the first page. I think he'll be drafted purely based on his height, athleticism and versatility - at the moment I'd have it about 50/50 whether its main draft or rookie. There are some areas of improvement, and I think he'll be one with varying opinions about his best role going forward.

And it was good to see Campbell read my post about likely going undrafted and then put in a season best performance. Probably a good chance to get a late Combine invite based purely off that.

Hey Chris, what's the major appeal on mitch szybkowski? Seems everyone rates him but reading notes, seems he always ends up I the second round. Why's he not rated inside the first round, he reads well?

Size, strength, contested work. He's arguably one of the best and most consistent inside mids on offer. Runs out games well. His strengths aren't necessarily eye catching ones though. He's the type who will have 25 touches and not always be noticed. Without any testing data at hand, his in game speed looks average. Hands are better than his feet.

I could see him going anywhere between 10-25 at the moment, depends who is picking where. But generally back end of the first and early second is where similar players have gone in the past.

And it was good to see Campbell read my post about likely going undrafted and then put in a season best performance. Probably a good chance to get a late Combine invite based purely off that.
I reverse-cursed him also when I said he wouldn't be taken this year :thumbsu: Was BoG last NAB league game too so he is coming home strong! Hopefully it is enough to get a list spot somewhere.

Last edited:
I think some recruiters will think he’s a bit Matt Crouch esque , lacks speed and not a great kick

May not be totally suited to modern game but no doubting he’s a good player

I’d still have D’aloia before him

Remove this Banner Ad

Back