U18 Champs U18 Champs Round 4 - Western Australia v South Australia (June 24, 2pm Perth time)

Remove this Banner Ad

Kentfield shows no defensive pressure
Goal kicking end is right of screen

Cant see anyone drafting him, not the best of skills low footy IQ and a tweener.
Lump of a lad, but way to slow and cumbersome.

Tholstrup had good impact on the result of the game, he is just strong, runs all day and has good footy iq, the goal he kicked in traffic, just showed calmness and intelligence under pressure, good signs

Curtin was good in the midfield, gives him a chance to show his skills, rather than be stuck in a defensive role down back

Sanchez showed some clever tricks up forward, lacks some speed or staying power which might affect his draft stocks

Edwards is a great ruck prospect, I have him around pick 10 at this point, good tap ruck who can get involved around the ground and can take the odd contested mark

Hall a workhorse mid, good endurance and works hard, his wafl experience helping his draft stocks

I thought O'Driscoll showed some speed and could join his brother in the AFL comp

Bodie Ryan had another great game, I had never heard of him before the champs, but I think he has done a good job of raising his draft stocks, he has a good chance of joining his brother in the AFL comp, tough competitive, wins contests and took some big marks in defence, impressive.

Sid Draper, Phoenix Hargrave and Tyler Welsh once again showed their undeniable talent for 2024

Jack Delean, Will Patton, Luca Slade, Alex Holt and Will McCabe all had good moments that I remember

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tholstrup had good impact on the result of the game, he is just strong, runs all day and has good footy iq

Curtin was good in the midfield, gives him a chance to show his skills, rather than be stuck in a defensive role down back

Sanchez showed some clever tricks up forward, lacks some speed or staying power which might affect his draft stocks

Edwards is a great ruck prospect, I have him around pick 10 at this point, good tap ruck who can get involved around the ground and can take the odd contested mark

Hall a workhorse mid, good endurance and works hard, his wafl experience helping his draft stocks

I thought O'Driscoll showed some speed and could join his brother in the AFL comp

Bodie Ryan had another great game, I had never heard of him before the champs, but I think he has done a good job of raising his draft stocks, he has a good chance of joining his brother in the AFL comp

Sid Draper, Phoenix Hargrave and Tyler Welsh once again showed their undeniable talent for 2024

Jack Delean, Will Patton, Luca Slade, Alex Holt and Will McCabe all had good moments that I remember
What did you think of Hine-Bastion ?
I really like him has top end speed and endurance,
and a lovely kick of the footy

WA:

Clay Hall BOG for WA, was damaging around the clearances, but also got on the outside and provided some run and carry. Hit some really nice kicks.

O’Driscoll cracked in hard and run hard between the arcs. Found footy on both the inside and outside. Has a bit of toe. Could be worth a shot with a late pick due to his running capacity.

Riley Hardeman was excellent across half back. Rarely loses one on ones, has good balance and composure. He likes to run and carry and kick long.

Tholstrup is very much a Zurhaar type player. He is physical, cracks in and does all the team things. Kicked one goal himself, but played a hand in a fair few others. Really set the tone in the first quarter with his physicality and a desperate smother in the forward pocket.

Curtain played a good game, but he isn’t going to be a midfielder at AFL so I don’t understand him playing there at the champs. Obviously has good footy IQ because he can play anywhere and have an impact. Finding him very hard to place though.

Edwards is the best rap ruckman I have seen come through the juniors for a long time. Such deft hands, he was handing the footy on a platter to the WA mids.

Van Rooyen had a good second half with some really strong contested marks, had a few shots on goal but was a bit wayward with his set shot goal kicking.

Hine-Baston got a decent amount of the footy and blanketed Moir in the first half.

Fonti showed a few class moments with some good run and carry.

Livingstone was everywhere for WA in the first quarter. Both in the ruck and in the forward line. Didn’t have as much impact for the game, but as a bullocking 200cm physical keyforward/2nd ruck I definitely think he had a stack of potential. Can’t teach the competitiveness he has.

Sanchez looks a player, half forward is one of the hardest positions to play on the ground but he got to good positions, kicked a couple and played a part in a few others.

Last edited:
Tholstrup had good impact on the result of the game, he is just strong, runs all day and has good footy iq, the goal he kicked in traffic, just showed calmness and intelligence under pressure, good signs

Bodie Ryan had another great game, I had never heard of him before the champs, but I think he has done a good job of raising his draft stocks, he has a good chance of joining his brother in the AFL comp, tough competitive, wins contests and took some big marks in defence, impressive.

Bodie Ryan is Jakob's cousin not his brother, similar looks and game style both from SA's south east region.

WA;

Clay Hall BOG still limited but his acceleration and kicking was as good as ive seen it from him

Curtain, i liked seeing him onball. He wouldnt play as a true onballer at AFL level but do what Dawson is doing. Recruiters probably just wanted to see it and not much for him to play on vs SA. Hes firming as a top 4 player with Walter, Reid and Duursma now.

Sanchez, was very good. Ive always been a big fan, he plays like a certain AFL player but i cant put my finger on it

Collard, very frustrating day for him. Got space then team mates wouldnt give him the ball and the conditions didnt suit. His talent is unquestionable though. I still think recruiters wouldve been very happy with his pressure side of his game today

M.Edwards, was influential, did no harm to his prospects or raise them either

Tholstrup, very good and people love him because hes like the honey badger. Probably cemented a top 20 spot today, id say top 15

Torrent, was very good late, gets drafted. His kicking and decision making a class above and hes a good size now

Hardeman, not bad. Solid.

Oskar Hindbastein, eagles will do alot worse than taking him late imo. Looks like he can shut players down. Did the job on Delean today

SA; Its looking a pretty ordinary crop

Patton was quite good

Delean, shut down to hard to comment. Hard one to place for me aswell. Hindbastein did a good job on him

Macauliffe, Huge kick for goal, hard one to place. He just doesnt have noticeable influence but has a booming kick and os a big body who ends up with clearances and disposals to some decent amount

McCabe, ok. Didnt notice a heap

Slade ok, paniced a bit and still timid but his smarts and reading the play is elite

The underagers look good
Welsh, Montgomery, Draper

Hargrave made some good plays and disasters

FWIW, Bodie is Jakob Ryan's cousin, not brother. I got had that mistake too, until Jakob's parents told me otherwise. Its the mullet I tell ya lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back