U18 Champs U18 Champs Round 3 - Vic Country v South Australia (June 18, 10:35am)

Remove this Banner Ad

Last year they said the same about 2022, people need to chill out tbh...
Yeah I do get that too , plenty of good draft prospects in every draft and there will be in this one too

But even Vic M v SA the 4 leading possession winners on ground were bottom agers

And this game the SA boys improved dramatically on back of Welsh and Hargrave ( who looked v good ) and continued form of Draper

Not sure if Reid is head and shoulders above anymore. Some players are rapidly closing the gap.

Reid didn't look in great physical shape either

If I'm West Coast I'm doing a deal.

I probably want to be certain of landing Colby McKercher or Duursma but I'm not seeing a superior being in Reid and McKercher in particular is going to give you bang for buck in the middle.

Yeah I do get that too , plenty of good draft prospects in every draft and there will be in this one too

But even Vic M v SA the 4 leading possession winners on ground were bottom agers

And this game the SA boys improved dramatically on back of Welsh and Hargrave ( who looked v good ) and continued form of Draper
This year isn't a midfield heavy draft though, it's funny all pre season and early this season people were talking as if this was a super draft, I always liked 2022 more and really disliked the media discounting 2022 for 2023, now people are questioning 2023, it's a fine draft, it's just filled with quality forwards and KPP and has less midfielders than normal, which is why you see next years mids succeed, next year seems a more midfielder heavy draft.

Which leads me back to VC, why wasn't Finn O'Sullivan playing? Crazy, also Day-Wicks(emer) is a really combative prospect and I have really liked Harvey Langford and Rhys Unwin a lot and those 3 missed the u16s champs, would've made VC more competitive imo.

Last edited:
This year isn't a midfield heavy draft though, it's funny all pre season and early this season people were talking as if this was a super draft, I always liked 2022 more and really disliked the media discounting 2022 for 2023, now people are questioning 2023, it's a fine draft, it's just filled with quality forwards and KPP and has less midfielders than normal, which is why you see next years mids succeed, next year seems a more midfielder heavy draft.

Which leads me back to VC, why wasn't Finn O'Sullivan playing? Crazy, also Day-Wicks(emer) is a really combative prospect and I have really liked Harvey Langford and Rhys Unwin a lot and those 3 missed the u16s champs, would've made VC more competitive imo.
Yep some good talls including rucks and also some good running half backs re this year

How many actually play in each side? What changes do you see for the next game?

How many actually play in each side? What changes do you see for the next game?
just looking at the VC squad, Vic Country only have Finn O'Sullivan, Day-Wicks, Lalor(who was one i left out, who is also a good mid) and Mraz as underagers, so they are relying heavily on this years draft pool

players who didnt play for Country in round 1

Oliver Poole
Oscar Ryan
Finn O'Sullivan - my early pick 1 for 2024
Archer Day-Wicks
Sam Lalor

Jacob Grant - a more flexible option than Pike
Riak Andrew - ?
Noah Mraz
Lachlan Smith

Finn O'Sullivan and Day-Wicks should be playing in this team imo

if i was coach i would make these changes, because i think they are better in these positions overall than the others imo.....
IN: O'Sullivan(mid), Day-Wicks(forw/mid), Lalor(mid), Grant(chf), Ryan(def), Smith(ruck)
OUT: Peirce, Pierson, Pike, Charleson, Lual, Shipp

O'Sullivan is the best midfielder in this squad imo, maybe on his day Demattia could better him, VC midfield doesnt look great, lacks a Patrick Hughes or someone to win the hardball, too many outside mids who lack contested power which is an issue imo

Last edited:
Duursma, Walter, McKercher and Watson....imo of course
In no world is Watson closing the gap to Harley Reid. Watson could kick 8 every game for the rest of the year and still no recruiter would read out his name ahead of Reid. Duursma didn’t do anything special for country on Sunday and Reid was much better than him, so I’m not sure how he’s closing the gap exactly.

In no world is Watson closing the gap to Harley Reid. Watson could kick 8 every game for the rest of the year and still no recruiter would read out his name ahead of Reid. Duursma didn’t do anything special for country on Sunday and Reid was much better than him, so I’m not sure how he’s closing the gap exactly.
Closing the gap doesnt mean going ahead

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don’t believe Reid was better than Duursma on the weekend.

Impact wise he most certainly was, not one of his better games but high impact on almost every touch.
Duursma was involved more for the whole game, but Reid was bang for buck impact, and i expect it to get better as their games go on, first game in the lineup, first game for vic C as a whole, and his first game in a month, was more than serviceable.

I still need to watch this game after working at the time it was on....fantastic SA got the win, certainly goes to show how much better the 2024 crop is out of here than the current mob.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back