U18 Champs U18 Champs Round 1 - South Australia v Allies (June 4, 11am)

Remove this Banner Ad

Delean

space exploration GIF by US National Archives

Much better quarter from SA, their mids finally realised a game of football was on and started running for each other. Funny things like goals can come from that.

SA:

Delean - dangerous whenever given half a sniff, that's generally what he's good for and capitalised on his very limited supply. Still somewhere in orbit
McAuliffe - much better involvement that term though disposal very iffy
Draper - SA's best mid and at least working both ways
McCabe - Bit more involved down back that term with intercepts
Holt - Started to play more of his usual self in link play which he's usually good at
Goad - Still best ruck on ground though less time that term
Van Wyk - Better that term with a fair few hitouts

Weckert and Moir generally invisible

Allies:

McKercher - doing as he pleased, he just runs so hard to receive and then again contest to contest
Sanders - Elite footballer, skill and decision making a class above every other player on the ground
Rogers - Cannot lay a finger on him, can turn on a pinhead and clean
Rowlands - Lot of ball, tackling hard and in every contest just about
Leake - Good game, not as domiannt as others but just knows what to do with it
Read - He's very mobile, beaten in hitouts but he's excellent when involved around the ground and not slow

Loving a lot of what Sanders is doing. One thing I don't like is when occasionally he'll take a mark, pause standing in place, then eventually just chip it sideways without ever facing forward to see if there's a progressive, attacking option on.

Probably looking for the old Daicos one-two. Gotta get those cheap touches.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Decent second half for SA. It’s everything I was hopeful about going in - rucks on top, midfielders breaking even at the stoppages, back line organised. Shame it took half the game to get it going.

Delean did pretty much as I expected, such a natural. I expect him to go in the 10-20 range and he’ll make a finals team even better. Goad looked promising, I’d take him over Read. McAuliffe stood up in the second half with Draper, so too did Patton and Evans.

Weckert didn’t really get much of a chance to do much. But at least Fawcett got a couple of late looks at it.

Herbert and Fairall were the nice surprises for me.

SOUTH AUSTRALIA 2.0 3.0 7.1 11.2 (68)
ALLIES
6.2 9.7 10.9 12.12 (84)

GOALS
South Australia:
Delean 4, Fawcett 2, Gladigau, Herbert, Holt, McShane, Moir
Allies: McCormack 3, Walter 3, Rider 2, Sanders 2, Gothard, Kirk

Remove this Banner Ad

Back