U18 Champs U18 Championships Round 6 - Vic Country v Allies @ RSEA Park (Sun, July 9, 1:15pm AEST)

Remove this Banner Ad

GC2015

Norm Smith Medallist
May 27, 2013
AFL Club
Gold Coast
Massive game that should decide which team walks away with the 2023 U18 National Championship. The Allies are looking to claim their first ever U18 National Championship since entering the Div I competition back in 2016 and Vic Country have not won an U18 National Championship since 2015. This game should be of great interest to onlookers as it will see the two best U18 juniors in the country facing off with Harley Reid (VC) strutting his stuff in the midfield and Jed Walter (All) playing the role of the power forward.

The undefeated Allies are looking to make it a perfect 4 from 4 after already securing solid wins over South Australia, Western Australia and Vic Metro. Should the Allies lose, for and against will come into play and the Allies' current +148 point differential will be near impossible for Vic Country (-17) to catch but Vic Metro (+22) potentially comes into play if that occurs and Metro smash WA this weekend. Either way, it looks very likely that the Allies will win their first U18 National Championship this year but that will be confirmed should they beat Vic Country in this game.

The five Allies players to watch for mine are Jed Walter (QLD/Key Forward), Ethan Read (QLD/Ruck), Ryley Sanders (TAS/Mid), Colby McKercher (TAS/Mid) and Jake Rogers (QLD/Mid). All five are looking like first round picks this year and have been the driving force behind the Allies' outstanding National Championships campaign. Vic Country's Harley Reid is the name every draft follower has heard and still looks a likely number 1 pick but Zane Duursma is another one that's worth keeping an eye on IMO.

If you feel like it, have a crack and make some predictions. My predictions:

Winner and margin: Allies by 42 points
Allies' most goals: Walter with 5 goals
Allies' BOG: McKercher
Vic Country's most goals: Rudd with 3 goals
Vic Country's BOG: Reid
Surprise Packet: Graham (Allies)

Sanders and McKercher is one hell of a midfield duo.
It's a shame the new Tassie AFL team won't have access to them. They both look like future stars!

I know North were previously trying to claim NGA eligibility for Sanders through his indigenous background, but since the rules currently state a player can only be drafted as an NGA prospect from pick 41 onwards I'd say it's very unlikely North are going to get their hands on Sanders with the campaign he's put together this year. He looks like a slam dunk top 20 player right now and possibly even top 10.

It's a shame the new Tassie AFL team won't have access to them. They both look like future stars!

I know North were previously trying to claim NGA eligibility for Sanders through his indigenous background, but since the rules currently state a player can only be drafted as an NGA prospect from pick 41 onwards I'd say it's very unlikely North are going to get their hands on Sanders with the campaign he's put together this year. He looks like a slam dunk top 20 player right now and possibly even top 10.
Yeah I think top 10 is a real shout. Especially as some clubs might preference a pure mid with a first round pick this year

what's draft position got to do with anything? Jack Watts went at 1 too. As did Bryce Gibbs, Scully, David Swallow, Patton, Boyd, McCartin etc. Many players with a lot of flaws. JhF is reckless and doesn't have high footy IQ.
LOL
Sanders is a nice prospect but he has nowhere near the X factor, explosiveness, strength or aerial ability of JHF.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

LOL
Sanders is a nice prospect but he has nowhere near the X factor, explosiveness, strength or aerial ability of JHF.
like I said, he has better skills, and footy smarts though. Beau McCreery has better X factor, explosiveness, strength and aerial ability than Sam Mitchell in his prime so listing attributes means nothing. JHF is a dumb footballer that gives away reckless free kicks. He also goes missing for large chunks of the game. Incredibly inconsistent.

like I said, he has better skills, and footy smarts though. Beau McCreery has better X factor, explosiveness, strength and aerial ability than Sam Mitchell in his prime so listing attributes means nothing. JHF is a dumb footballer that gives away reckless free kicks. He also goes missing for large chunks of the game. Incredibly inconsistent.
I doubt too many would agree with you.
One is in his early days playing AFL the other is playing U18's, seems you must have missed JHF playing U18's in his underage year and SANFL League in his top age year.

why is it relevant what JHF did in his junior career?
Because at this point that can be the only comparison given that's the only level Sanders has played.

When Sanders has played a similar number of AFL games then you might be able to make a FAIR comparison....until then...

Over and out.

If VC win both games they win the champs on head to head
If Allies win they clean sweep
if VC win against Allies but lose to VM, Allies win champs

so there's 2 ways the Allies win the champs and 1 way VC wins the champs, no other team can win the champs... the pressure from this game will make diamonds or coal

If VC win both games they win the champs on head to head
If Allies win they clean sweep
if VC win against Allies but lose to VM, Allies win champs

so there's 2 ways the Allies win the champs and 1 way VC wins the champs, no other team can win the champs... the pressure from this game will make diamonds or coal
Correct me if I am wrong. But I read an article last night, forgot where, that mentioned the points differential playing a part. Not mention of head to head. Said something along the lines of, If Metro win by heaps, and Allies lose by heaps to make up the points differential. Metro can win it.

At least that was my understanding of it.

Correct me if I am wrong. But I read an article last night, forgot where, that mentioned the points differential playing a part. Not mention of head to head. Said something along the lines of, If Metro win by heaps, and Allies lose by heaps to make up the points differential. Metro can win it.

At least that was my understanding of it.
If it's a 3 way tie at the top it goes to percentage, if it's 2 it's a head to head I believe, so if VC win both they will be head to head with Allies and VC win, if they win against Allies but lose to VM it will be head to head between Allies and VM and Allies win or Allies clean sweep 4-0 and just win.

If it's a 3 way tie at the top it goes to percentage, if it's 2 it's a head to head I believe.
Percentage heavily in favour of the Allies going into today:

Allies +148
Vic Metro +22
Vic Country -17

Remove this Banner Ad

Back