U18 Champs 2023 Champs; Allies v Vic Metro 2PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Well never but academy kids always slip, that’s just what happens. Sydney probably should’ve have 2 in the top 15 2 years ago with campbell and gulden, but gulden slid. Not sure how having 3 academy kids has anything to do with academy/ fs selections slide back to where they’d be taken if they were in the open pool.

Acad/fs picks have slid thus far due to the fact that matching teams have held enough points thus the incentive to bid is lessened.

Acad/fs picks have slid thus far due to the fact that matching teams have held enough points thus the incentive to bid is lessened.
Gold Coast will easily have enough points to match.

They have this years picks/points, and they can go into deficit using next years picks as well.

They won't mind going in to deficit a bit either. They'll have a couple more academy kids again next year. Not as highly rated, but right about where they'll have picks next year.

It will also allow GC to continue balancing out their list and salary cap moving forward.

How is Walter going earlier? Who ever has pick 1 is taking Reid. It’s not even a question 😂
History will tell you academy kids/ father sons always slip back. How Tom green lasted till 10 I’ll never know.
Obviously more talking about the other 2, semantics

But if Walter is an eagles fan and it benefits west coast with there later picks then i could see it occuring

I do agree with the premise is matched bid draftees tend to go later than what they should but these guys are right up the top based on their U18 champs

Obviously more talking about the other 2, semantics

But if Walter is an eagles fan and it benefits west coast with there later picks then i could see it occuring

I do agree with the premise is matched bid draftees tend to go later than what they should but these guys are right up the top based on their U18 champs
In no way if Eagles keep pick 1 are they going to turn around and choose to bid on someone before they take Reid.

Well never but academy kids always slip, that’s just what happens. Sydney probably should’ve have 2 in the top 15 2 years ago with campbell and gulden, but gulden slid. Not sure how having 3 academy kids has anything to do with academy/ fs selections slide back to where they’d be taken if they were in the open pool.
I think it depends a little on the club that has pick one.

Adelaide bid on Ugle Hagan even though, apparently, he wasn't number one on their list.

Some clubs will try to leverage favourable trades for non bids.

If the Eagles are open to trading pick one it might make things interesting at the top.

I think it depends a little on the club that has pick one.

Adelaide bid on Ugle Hagan even though, apparently, he wasn't number one on their list.

Some clubs will try to leverage favourable trades for non bids.

If the Eagles are open to trading pick one it might make things interesting at the top.
Adelaide's main reason for the bid on JUH was to weaken The Dogs draft hand believing the Dogs had big interest in small forward James Rowe later in the draft who they were pretty keen on at that point.

Rowe played some reasonable AFL but was found wanting pace wise at AFL level before being delisted 2 years later, currently playing some real good midfield for the Eagles in the SANFL.

Adelaide's main reason for the bid on JUH was to weaken The Dogs draft hand believing the Dogs had big interest in small forward James Rowe later in the draft who they were pretty keen on at that point.

Rowe played some reasonable AFL but was found wanting pace wise at AFL level before being delisted 2 years later, currently playing some real good midfield for the Eagles in the SANFL.
I know that was the story Adelaide put out but I don't think we would have had a pick before the one you used on Rowe regardless of where a bid came.

Adelaide had leveraged pick 4 the previous year into pick 6 and a future first (pick 10 I think) by telling GWS they intended to bid on Green at 4.

I believe the Bulldogs were in talks with Adelaide about a trade for our first rounders for points in 2020 before the Treloar trade happened. Supposedly Adelaide weren't happy the deal fell through.

Anyway some clubs definitely do look to take advantage of academy bids and there's nothing wrong with that. The points difference between a bid at 1 and 2 is significant so the Eagles could propose a points trade with gold coast that includes not bidding at 1 and gold coast then have to decide if that's the best offer they get for their first rounder.

Walter
Mckercher
Sanders
C.Osullivan
E.Read
J.Rogers
C.Cleary
Schoenmakers

Graham
Leake* (Purely going off what others are saying)
Gothard
Callinan
H.Ollington
L.Cabor
T.Gander
Mckormack
I.Kirk (Due to name and swans academy)

I think all these are on AFL list next year from what ive seen. (17) + Probably Will Rowlands (Suns) to make it 18

And mot sure if ive missed anyone

How is Walter going earlier? Who ever has pick 1 is taking Reid. It’s not even a question 😂
History will tell you academy kids/ father sons always slip back. How Tom green lasted till 10 I’ll never know.
After taking Marra at pick 1 and Darcy at pick 2, I wish you were correct

Walter
Mckercher
Sanders
C.Osullivan
E.Read
J.Rogers
C.Cleary
Schoenmakers

Graham
Gothard
Callinan
H.Ollington
L.Cabor
T.Gander
Mckormack

I think all these are on AFL list next year from what ive seen. (17) + Probably Will Rowlands (Suns) to make it 18

That would be a dream draft for Tassie. I don't think we will get all 6 through though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That would be a dream draft for Tassie. I don't think we will get all 6 through though.
Which ones are you most concerned about?

Callinan
Ollington
Leake?

Huge signs this Allies side for the future of teams such as Tassie, GC and GWS hopefully not an outlier and a sign of the future

Only just realised Ollington is 2004 bday

Which ones are you most concerned about?

Callinan
Ollington
Leake?

Huge signs this Allies side for the future of teams such as Tassie, GC and GWS hopefully not an outlier and a sign of the future

Only just realised Ollington is 2004 bday
Well I think guys like Callinan, Leake and Schoenmaker are like not guarunteed to be drafted, they have good chances, but are not a lock. I worry Callinan and Leake don't have huge "points of difference" despite being pretty nice players. The ones I am not worried about at all are Sanders and McKercher. I wouldn't be too worried for Schoenmaker if he plays like he has been and had a full season and there was no off-field issues but would like to have seen more of him play before I judged. Ollington is interesting but would be very late draft/rookie.

I think the chances are apart from McKercher or Sanders, maybe only 1 or 2 of the other Tassie players will go, and a couple might be a little unlucky. 4 Tasmanians in one draft (including rookies) would be another really good draft, 6 would be amazing but unlikely I think.

So according to your earlier list, these are the players from the three most recent expansion areas of GC, GWS & Tassie who should all be drafted this year:

Walter (GC)
Mckercher (TAS)
Sanders (TAS)
O'Sullivan (GWS)
Read (GC)
Rogers (GC)
Schoenmakers (TAS)
Graham (GC)
Leake (TAS)
Gothard (GWS)
Callinan (TAS)
Ollington (TAS)
McKormack (GWS)

So you've got 13 from the newest expansion areas of TAS (6), GC (4) and GWS (3). Considering only 59 players were taken in the national draft last year, I'd say 13 (22%) from the expansion markets is a solid effort! Fair to say the AFL would be ecstatic about this result considering most of these players probably wouldn't be draft worthy if they weren't tied to and developed by their associated academy/pathway. We're expanding the pool of junior talent which will flow into a better top end product and that's the real value of these expansion teams to the AFL.

So according to your earlier list, these are the players from the three most recent expansion areas of GC, GWS & Tassie who should all be drafted this year:

Walter (GC)
Mckercher (TAS)
Sanders (TAS)
O'Sullivan (GWS)
Read (GC)
Rogers (GC)
Schoenmakers (TAS)
Graham (GC)
Leake (TAS)
Gothard (GWS)
Callinan (TAS)
Ollington (TAS)
McKormack (GWS)

So you've got 13 from the newest expansion areas of TAS (6), GC (4) and GWS (3). Considering only 59 players were taken in the national draft last year, I'd say 13 (22%) from the expansion markets is a solid effort! Fair to say the AFL would be ecstatic about this result considering most of these players probably wouldn't be draft worthy if they weren't tied to and developed by their associated academy/pathway. We're expanding the pool of junior talent which will flow into a better top end product and that's the real value of these expansion teams to the AFL.
Yeh

Leake - I havnt watched enough, but it might even have been PMBangers who started to like him as a top 25 pick, may have been someone else

Mckormack - Im less convinced than others but hes worth a project on a liat at very worst youd think. Athletic, competitve, tall and having a great champs. Hard to see him not on a expansion list at worse

Hollington - Only just saw his DOB after posting, but i thought outside the usualy guns in the middle of Sanders, Mckercher and Rogers he was close to next beat vs VICM. Hard position at half forward/3rd tall aswell

Gulden slid because of his height. Had he been 10cm taller he would have been top 10 for sure.

Well I think guys like Callinan, Leake and Schoenmaker are like not guarunteed to be drafted, they have good chances, but are not a lock. I worry Callinan and Leake don't have huge "points of difference" despite being pretty nice players. The ones I am not worried about at all are Sanders and McKercher. I wouldn't be too worried for Schoenmaker if he plays like he has been and had a full season and there was no off-field issues but would like to have seen more of him play before I judged. Ollington is interesting but would be very late draft/rookie.

I think the chances are apart from McKercher or Sanders, maybe only 1 or 2 of the other Tassie players will go, and a couple might be a little unlucky. 4 Tasmanians in one draft (including rookies) would be another really good draft, 6 would be amazing but unlikely I think.
I have a hunch the Crows will draft Jack Callinan if he's on the board at where they rate him be that main draft or rookie draft.

I have a hunch the Crows will draft Jack Callinan if he's on the board at where they rate him be that main draft or rookie draft.
Assuming he's available, I think you're right. He's not a father-son pick but the old man did spend five years with the Crows. Would be amusing to see a Callinan playing alongside Tex at either end of his career. I think the Crows are probably more open to father-sons these days after the recent success of Michalanney (even though he's not an actual father-son pick either).

Walter
Mckercher
Sanders
C.Osullivan
E.Read
J.Rogers
C.Cleary
Schoenmakers

Graham
Gothard
Callinan
H.Ollington
L.Cabor
T.Gander
Mckormack

Ollington was eligible for the MSD, I wonder if his game for the Allies put him on clubs radars?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back