U18 Champs 2023 Champs; Allies v Vic Metro 2PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

The work rate of Rogers, Sanders and McKercher has been the difference. VM just can’t compete with them especially on the outside.

Not many VM players can hold their head high when it comes to their disposal or decision making

Cam Nyko and Philactides have been providing some drive from half back but the two of them lack a bit of polish
Yeah Nyko is someone who hasn't had much talk about him but seems to cover the ground well.

Looks like the Allies are going to claim their first ever National Championship this year. Already beaten SA, WA and are about to beat Vic Metro. Just got one game to go against Vic Country next week but I'd expect the Allies to win that one considering Vic Country lost to SA a few weeks ago. Although we will get the two best players in this year's draft class facing each other next week - Walter (Allies) v Reid (Vic Country).

Great for the growth of the game in the developing states to have an Allies team that can not only compete with the traditional powerhouse states, but actually beat them convincingly. The AFL would be ecstatic about this result.
Walter is as physical key forward I’ve ever seen at this level. His intent to hit the contest and make tackles is ludicrous.
Massive frame. Very physical. Deceptively quick. Amazing vertical leap. Capable of taking big contested marks. Reliable kick for goal. Can even pinch hit in the ruck.

Would be a worthy number 1 pick and may very well be if he wasn't tied to our academy. Can't wait to see him play alongside King and Lukosius next year.

Last edited:
Perfect example of Philactides inconsistent kicking, hitting a beautiful kick about 3 minutes ago, then kicks one out on the full and then follows up with a turnover on the kick out.

Looks like the Allies are going to claim their first ever National Championship this year. Already beaten SA, WA and are about to beat Vic Metro. Just got one game to go against Vic Country next year but I'd expect the Allies to win that one considering Vic Country lost to SA a few weeks ago. Although we will get the two best players in this year's draft class facing each other next week - Walter (Allies) v Reid (Vic Country).

Great for the growth of the game in the developing states to have an Allies team that can not only compete with the traditional powerhouse states, but actually beat them convincingly. The AFL would be ecstatic about this result.

Massive frame. Very physical. Deceptively quick. Amazing vertical leap. Capable of taking big contested marks. Reliable kick for goal. Can even pinch hit in the ruck.

Would be a worthy number 1 pick and may very well be if he wasn't tied to our academy. Can't wait to see him play alongside King and Lukosius next year.
Great for footy. Looks like we will see plenty drafted from outside of Vic, SA, and WA.

We need another tall key forward (literally only have Allen, Darling and Williams on our list) so it he was on the open market I seriously think we'd consider it.
Would prefer Reid personally, but I could see the appeal of Walters.

Well done to the Allies, far better work rate, decision making and finishing skills in that game. VM just lacked a a big body around the contest, would love to know why Josh Smillie didn’t play.

My bests are:

Allies: McKercher, Rogers, Sanders, Williams, Schoemaker, Walter (first half).

Honourable mentions to: Ollington, Cleary, Read & May.

VM: Ashcroft, Philactides, K.Brown, Caddy, Murphy.

Honourable mentions: Morris, Windsor, Nyko, W.Brown & Roberts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to the Allies, far better work rate, decision making and finishing skills in that game. VM just lacked a a big body around the contest, would love to know why Josh Smillie didn’t play.

My bests are:

Did any underagers play for VM?
Smillie is a beast of an underaged mid, seems set to go very early next year.

Great for footy. Looks like we will see plenty drafted from outside of Vic, SA, and WA.
I'd say at least 10 players from this Allies side will be drafted this year. In no particular order I think Walter (Suns), Read (Suns), Rogers (Suns), McKercher (Tasmania), Sanders (Tasmania/North Indigenous NGA), McCormick (Giants) should all get drafted and there are others that will be up for grabs later in the draft/rookie possibilities. Pretty sure the Swans will be keen to draft father-son prospect Indhi Kirk as well.

We need another tall key forward (literally only have Allen, Darling and Williams on our list) so it he was on the open market I seriously think we'd consider it.
Would prefer Reid personally, but I could see the appeal of Walters.
The thing is - West Coast know they aren't getting Walter so the only reason to bid on him would be to make the Suns pay a slightly higher price but you also lose the feel good story of bringing the number 1 pick into your club. We did see Adelaide do this with Ugle-Hagan when they knew they were going to end up with Thilthorpe all along but I'm not sure they gained a whole lot from bidding on Ugle-Hagan with pick 1. Since then we've seen Nick Daicos slide when he was many draft analyst's number 1 pick and now it looks like Collingwood underpaid for him by matching a bid with pick 4. I think Walter ends up getting bid on with pick 2 by North even if West Coast don't do it so it's not really going to make a difference from our perspective.

If im picking for North at 2 and Eagles take Reid im going Walter at 2 and Rogers at 3.

They will end up with enough points sure but will need some trades.
Read seems more likely to be a top 10 pick than Rogers. May even end up being three top 10 picks heading to Carrara.

I'd say at least 10 players from this Allies side will be drafted this year. In no particular order I think Walter (Suns), Read (Suns), Rogers (Suns), McKercher (Tasmania), Sanders (Tasmania/North Indigenous NGA), McCormick (Giants) should all get drafted and there are others that will be up for grabs later in the draft/rookie possibilities. Pretty sure the Swans will be keen to draft father-son prospect Indhi Kirk as well.

The thing is - West Coast know they aren't getting Walter so the only reason to bid on him would be to make the Suns pay a slightly higher price but you also lose the feel good story of bringing the number 1 pick into your club. We did see Adelaide do this with Ugle-Hagan when they knew they were going to end up with Thilthorpe all along but I'm not sure they gained a whole lot from bidding on Ugle-Hagan with pick 1. Since then we've seen Nick Daicos slide when he was many draft analyst's number 1 pick and now it looks like Collingwood underpaid for him by matching a bid with pick 4. I think Walter ends up getting bid on with pick 2 by North even if West Coast don't do it so it's not really going to make a difference from our perspective.

Read seems more likely to be a top 10 pick than Rogers. May even end up being three top 10 picks heading to Carrara.

Id say3 top 10s are highly likely at this stage and yeah Read was awesome.

Leake would be comfortably ahead of McCormack as it stands, genuine top 25 shout atm

My bests are:

Hey mate what did you take from the game for North say pick 2 and Ports pick what ever that turns out to be, Thanks in advance.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back