U18 Champs 2023 Champs; Allies v Vic Metro 2PM AEST

Remove this Banner Ad

Hey mate what did you take from the game for North say pick 2 and Ports pick what ever that turns out to be, Thanks in advance.

I’d be 100% bidding on Walter with pick 2.

Probably leaves us with a decision between Watson, Curtain, Caddy or McKercher for pick 3. I’ve been on the Watson bandwagon for a while, but it would take a pretty ballsy list manager to take him with a top 3 pick in my opinion. If McKay leaves then a key defender will be a priority, if he doesn’t then I think Caddy makes a lot of sense as support for Larkey.

Really hard to know what to do with Port’s Pick at the moment as I think the draft falls away a bit after the top 12-14 picks. An outside runner in the Joel Freijah or Philactides mould would be ideal.

Blues just need to stink enough for the rest of this season to secure us Mckercher at our pick and I'll be a happy man. He is just silk.

I’d be 100% bidding on Walter with pick 2.

Probably leaves us with a decision between Watson, Curtain, Caddy or McKercher for pick 3. I’ve been on the Watson bandwagon for a while, but it would take a pretty ballsy list manager to take him with a top 3 pick in my opinion. If McKay leaves then a key defender will be a priority, if he doesn’t then I think Caddy makes a lot of sense as support for Larkey.

Really hard to know what to do with Port’s Pick at the moment as I think the draft falls away a bit after the top 12-14 picks. An outside runner in the Joel Freijah or Philactides mould would be ideal.
Thank you for the quick reply always value your opinion very highly.

I think his academy ties will prevent that. Definitely a worthy candidate, though.
Isnt he a West Coast fan? Isn't there a thing that he has to nominate for the suns to be able for them to match a bid?

Isnt he a West Coast fan? Isn't there a thing that he has to nominate for the suns to be able for them to match a bid?
My understanding is that a junior has to commit to northern academy draft rights in order to take part in the program unless he's father-son eligible elsewhere (see Nick Blakey and Bailey Scott's draft year decisions). We've never seen a northern academy prospect turn down his academy club (other than those who were also F/S eligible) and I'm fairly sure we would have seen at least one by now if that was the case. Sort of defeats the purpose of the academy if a junior can just turn down the draft rights at the end.

Having said that, West Coast may not even be a guarantee for the spoon if they keep playing like this.

My understanding is that a junior has to commit to northern academy draft rights in order to take part in the program
Unless something has changed without any news then yes this is how it goes

I'd say at least 10 players from this Allies side will be drafted this year. In no particular order I think Walter (Suns), Read (Suns), Rogers (Suns), McKercher (Tasmania), Sanders (Tasmania/North Indigenous NGA), McCormick (Giants) should all get drafted and there are others that will be up for grabs later in the draft/rookie possibilities. Pretty sure the Swans will be keen to draft father-son prospect Indhi Kirk as well.

The thing is - West Coast know they aren't getting Walter so the only reason to bid on him would be to make the Suns pay a slightly higher price but you also lose the feel good story of bringing the number 1 pick into your club. We did see Adelaide do this with Ugle-Hagan when they knew they were going to end up with Thilthorpe all along but I'm not sure they gained a whole lot from bidding on Ugle-Hagan with pick 1. Since then we've seen Nick Daicos slide when he was many draft analyst's number 1 pick and now it looks like Collingwood underpaid for him by matching a bid with pick 4. I think Walter ends up getting bid on with pick 2 by North even if West Coast don't do it so it's not really going to make a difference from our perspective.

Read seems more likely to be a top 10 pick than Rogers. May even end up being three top 10 picks heading to Carrara.
Reckon you’re underrating them ….I’d say 11-12 a chance to be drafted in top 30

Walter
Read
Mckercher
Sanders
O’Sullivan
Rogers
Leake
Schoenmaker ( has some off field question marks but on talent top 30)
Graham
Gothard
Williams
McCormack

There’s only 5 teams and they are so far ahead of the other 4 that 10 seems realistic

Cleary I have going after 40 but wouldn’t surprise earlier , same re Callinan

Well done to the Allies, far better work rate, decision making and finishing skills in that game. VM just lacked a a big body around the contest, would love to know why Josh Smillie didn’t play.

My bests are:

Allies: McKercher, Rogers, Sanders, Williams, Schoemaker, Walter (first half).

Honourable mentions to: Ollington, Cleary, Read & May.

VM: Ashcroft, Philactides, K.Brown, Caddy, Murphy.

Honourable mentions: Morris, Windsor, Nyko, W.Brown & Roberts.
I had Read BOG , being slept on as a top 5 pick IMO

23 possessions and went at >90% efficiency by foot which is insane for a ruck

Reckon you’re underrating them ….I’d say 11-12 a chance to be drafted in top 30

Walter
Read
Mckercher
Sanders
O’Sullivan
Rogers
Leake
Schoenmaker ( has some off field question marks but on talent top 30)
Graham
Gothard
Williams
McCormack

There’s only 5 teams and they are so far ahead of the other 4 that 10 seems realistic

Cleary I have going after 40 but wouldn’t surprise earlier , same re Callinan
Fair enough. Walter, Read and Rogers are all looking like top 10 picks right now so you can book them in. I personally feel Will Graham is draftable but I think he'll probably slide into the third round. Not so sure about Nick Williams but I'd be happy to be wrong about that. It would take our (the Suns) tally up to five academy players drafted in the same year and we saw another academy talent in our VFL game today that also looked draftable. I think the Tassie boys McKercher and Sanders are almost guaranteed to be top 20 picks from what I've seen of their abilities and I wouldn't be surprised if a bid came through for McCormick in the top 30 as he's shown some signs of brilliance. I haven't really followed the others closely enough to comment but I'm sure there are more who could potentially get drafted.

It reminds me of what I've heard about the '06 draft class which was stacked with draftees from Queensland. Eight picks inside the top 32 to be specific - Armitage, Hampson, Urquart, Proud, Renouf, Howard, Petterd and K.Tippett. It was kind of viewed as the culmination of Brisbane's hard work to grow the game in Queensland in the late 90s/early 2000s, except back then there were no academies so only one of those eight Queenslanders ended up at the Lions. I'm sure Brisbane's post '04 GF list rebuild would have been far more successful had they been given access to all/most of those players but instead they struggled to be competitive for over a decade with a brief exception in 2009. This draft class feels like our (the Suns) opportunity cash in on the hard work we've put in to grow the game here over the last decade and in the process build a list littered with talented locals that will be highly competitive for the next decade. Here's hoping!
I had Read BOG , being slept on as a top 5 pick IMO

23 possessions and went at >90% efficiency by foot which is insane for a ruck
Commentators also had Read as BOG. I think he was previously rated around the pick 8 mark but I wouldn't be surprised if his stocks rose after that performance. If he does it again in the Vic Country game next week then top 5 seems very likely.

Yeah Nyko is someone who hasn't had much talk about him but seems to cover the ground well.
Check out the mid season phantom draft
i reckon I said nyko and Windsor very stiff
i get plenty wrong but I think they are two metro players who play fast and thus have a game transferable to the afl

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If north lose McKay which seems a distinct possibility they will control the top end of the draft again with 2 of the top 3 picks.
this Years draft is shaping to be fascinating
one trade I have thought about tonight is
north get pick 1 (Harley Reid) and Tom Barrass
wce get pick 2, 3 and PA first round pick from nm and perhaps a 2nd round pick from nm let’s have fun and guess wce bid on Walter and then draft mckeracher, sanders and then perhaps Mitch edwards and get someone like georgiadis from pa with this pick
north get a potential generational player and an upgrade on McKay
wce get two very good midfielders, an exciting tall wa product and a wa lad who would be a nice additional to Allen in the forward line moving forward.

If north lose McKay which seems a distinct possibility they will control the top end of the draft again with 2 of the top 3 picks.
wce get pick 2, 3 and PA first round pick from nm and perhaps a 2nd round pick from nm let’s have fun and guess wce bid on Walter and then draft mckeracher, sanders and then perhaps Mitch edwards and get someone like georgiadis from pa with this pick
wce get two very good midfielders, an exciting tall wa product and a wa lad who would be a nice additional to Allen in the forward line moving forward.

Huh?

Well that's just awful for us.

Happens every year and it gets done. They’ll trade a few out like every year and get even more picks. Can also break up their 1st rounder for more points. Will be done pretty easily.
They could be looking at ~4800 points

7 spots on the list, not sure who they could be

Need picks 24-30 ish if that were the case

They could be looking at ~4800 points

7 spots on the list, not sure who they could be

Need picks 24-30 ish if that were the case
Flanders looks like 1 who might leave. Academy picks always usually fall back on draft night as well. Also not sure where you got 4800 from, at best Walter will go pick 2 and that’s 2000 points after a bid. I’d say read ends up in the 10-20 range and Rogers in the 15-25 range.

Day, sharp, Flanders, casboult, Tsitas, stein, constable, blakely, j Anderson just a few off the top of my head that could be traded, delisted or retired come seasons.

Flanders looks like 1 who might leave. Academy picks always usually fall back on draft night as well. Also not sure where you got 4800 from, at best Walter will go pick 2 and that’s 2000 points after a bid. I’d say read ends up in the 10-20 range and Rogers in the 15-25 range.
I have all going earlier

How is Walter going earlier? Who ever has pick 1 is taking Reid. It’s not even a question 😂
History will tell you academy kids/ father sons always slip back. How Tom green lasted till 10 I’ll never know.

Which part of history has 1 team with 3 academy picks in the top 10?
Day, sharp, Flanders, casboult, Tsitas, stein, constable, blakely, j Anderson just a few off the top of my head that could be traded, delisted or retired come seasons.

A few of those guys are rookies which dont count.

Which part of history has 1 team with 3 academy picks in the top 10?

A few of those guys are rookies which dont count.
Well never but academy kids always slip, that’s just what happens. Sydney probably should’ve have 2 in the top 15 2 years ago with campbell and gulden, but gulden slid. Not sure how having 3 academy kids has anything to do with academy/ fs selections slide back to where they’d be taken if they were in the open pool.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back