Spoon awaits

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
This.

Potentially getting Kelly (PSD #1) and ND Pick #1 and Pick ~#19 and Martin as a free agent is serious talent coming into the club.

but even if we r not pick 1 and kelly nominates us and only us, others wouldn't really pick him as it will cost them 1 mil + per season and deliberate leave a time bomb within their club with a highly paid player not wanting to be there hence not playing to their best ability which affects those around them, esp for a player like kelly.

Furthermore, let's say carlton wants to chuck the spanner in the work deliberate, they can afford the money and willing to have a disgruntled player on their list for whatever the duration just so that we are denied the player, we can always take it to the afl tribunal as this constitutes workplace bullying.

but even if we r not pick 1 and kelly nominates us and only us, others wouldn't really pick him as it will cost them 1 mil + per season and deliberate leave a time bomb within their club with a highly paid player not wanting to be there hence not playing to their best ability which affects those around them, esp for a player like kelly.

Furthermore, let's say carlton wants to chuck the spanner in the work deliberate, they can afford the money and willing to have a disgruntled player on their list for whatever the duration just so that we are denied the player, we can always take it to the afl tribunal as this constitutes workplace bullying.
I've had a skinfull and waiting for a train at 1:30. Will this dudes posts make sense when I wake up?

Last edited:

#1 pick has netted next to nothing when it comes to premiership chances historically. You'd be fools to delude yourself into thinking North are the exception - it's the same kind of blind optimism that colours every off-season trade speculation ("we'll get two first rounders for a player barely in our best 22, then pick up another team's best player with our second and fourth round picks - then we'll be unstoppable next year!"), and to be honest it's pretty damn pathetic to see "supporters" stooping as low as some have this season in coveting the spoon. Leave that kind of nonsense to followers of failed sides who've not won finals for a decade or more.

Eight years ago, the last time we were definitely not finals-bound two rounds out from the end of the H&A season, there were some on here who delighted in the idea that we'd get smashed by St. Kilda and potentially secure ourselves a higher pick - instead we had our best win for the season. Dreaming up fantasy hypotheticals where our present failures are somehow necessary catalysts to our future successes is utterly puerile, and feeling "conflicted" or "disappointed" if we win because of those fantasies is even more so. Here's to hoping history repeats and we can galvanise our team further with some quality wins late in the season, the way Carlton look to have done for themselves tonight.

This is bang on (again). Every. *******. Word. Some good posters on here are losing the plot. I hope we ******* SMASH the Saints tomorrow, and if you barrack for North I would hope you do too.

I love this club as much as any of you, I promise. However losing the next two games is 100% what is best for our club. In one single offseason we can rebuild our entire midfield. Pick one ND, pick 18 ND, pick 1 PSD, and a top quality FA (Dusty) would make this team marketable, successful and bloody fun to watch each week. A little pain, for so much gain.

Pick 1 is so overrated.
Anyone thinking the spoon and / or tanking is good for us and posting garbage on the dusty / Kelly threads is a walking contradiction.

How can we expect to be taken seriously as a club when we cheer coming last in the competition.
Big signings will baulk at us if we don't show anything in these last two games - and deservedly so.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Pick 1 is so overrated.
Anyone thinking the spoon and / or tanking is good for us and posting garbage on the dusty / Kelly threads is a walking contradiction.

How can we expect to be taken seriously as a club when we cheer coming last in the competition.
Big signings will baulk at us if we don't show anything in these last two games - and deservedly so.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Well I guess I'm a walking contradiction. Pick one is not overrated in a 2 player draft, pick one in the PSD, provides us with unique bargaining power.
Happy to show a lot, but also believe that the saints will win today because of our injury list, and the lions will beat us next week because they aren't a bad young team, we never ever play well at the Gabba and our injury list. It's not tanking, I don't want us to tank, but I sure as s**t don't want us to win either.

the psd move is only a last resort type thing. afl isn't as mature as the other codes, we still operate on a semi professional sense of good will (whatever that means). Last time something like this was a port player (nick mclean or something like that), carlton and port couldn't get a deal thrashed out but neither party wanted to compromise, mclean walked to psd and carlton picked him up as they were like last anyways. But thereafter port and carlton hardly had much interaction. So if we are known for encouraging moves like 'go to psd' and only nominate type stuff soon, we would become anathema to many clubs and even afl might want us to fail during trading. Because there is no official rule saying we cant encourage psd move, then again there is no official rule say afl cannot sabotage our trading behind the scene through subterfuge.

Nick Stevens.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Kelly is not going through o the PSD get that through your skulls. It doesn't happen anymore and it WILL not happen now.

Having a top 2 pick AND netting Kelly is just fantasy.

Oh well, I'm happy to settle for Cam Rayner.

We are not getting him with Pick 4.

Oh well, I'm happy to settle for Cam Rayner.

We are not getting him with Pick 4.

Funny isn't it? Pick 1 is overrated. Pick 1 allows you access to the best single talent in the pool and come draft day the average punter i imagine would be fairly happy with us calling Raynors name. Although we could have boxed on and played Hansen, Thomas etc and nabbed another slider with pick 12.

We either get Kelly or Raynor, win either way. Then a Garner or O'Brien with our second pick which funnily enough will be earlier than some of our recent first picks.... McKay 21.

Why not offer Kelly an extra $2 Milliion bonus, spread over the course of his contract, if he goes to the PSD. I'm sure keeping our first pick, whether it's 1/2/3/4, is worth that much.

It'll make it an interesting proposition, and maybe offset some of the focus on him (esp with Martin likely using us to get a better contract at Richmond).

Pick 1 isn't just about picking the best player in the land. I'd be happy the 4th best. For example, I'd take the Bont over tom Boyd anyway. So I wouldn't mind winning the next 2 games and finishing fourth last. BUT it doesn't just mean this.

It gives us a * load of leverage when it comes to trading in uncontract players. JK can nominate into the ND if GWS don't accept what we offer and pick him with pick 1. It gives us a lot of bargaining power.

Wouldn't be the end of the world if we get pick 4, but I'd prefer pick 1.

I'm really warming to this scenario. Josh signs on with GWS for 2 years and we get to keep our Top 4 draft pick and our second which will most likely be high teens / low 20s and we recruit two highly regarded youngsters, next year we recruit TT and our f/s. We're not going to stay down the bottom for years, so our first round pick in two years time will be in the teens, we then do 'a Dangerfield type deal' with GWS with that pick and steak knives. We'd have put 30 odd games into this year's recruits and we'd be in the ' premiership window' and Josh will be the cherry on top.

I'm really warming to this scenario. Josh signs on with GWS for 2 years and we get to keep our Top 4 draft pick and our second which will most likely be high teens / low 20s and we recruit two highly regarded youngsters, next year we recruit TT and our f/s. We're not going to stay down the bottom for years, so our first round pick in two years time will be in the teens, we then do 'a Dangerfield type deal' with GWS with that pick and steak knives. We'd have put 30 odd games into this year's recruits and we'd be in the ' premiership window' and Josh will be the cherry on top.

Plus tbe unexpected gift from last years draft ...some kid called Simpkin

We have 13 of these buggers and our last spoon was 1972. I must admit I would rather not add to that list. Any top four or five pick should be a star. But do we have the quality in our recruitment department to get the pick right if we don't trade it for Kelly? Thats the real question. Our clubs ability to evaluate talent no matter what the pick.

We have 13 of these buggers and our last spoon was 1972. I must admit I would rather not add to that list. Any top four or five pick should be a star. But do we have the quality in our recruitment department to get the pick right if we don't trade it for Kelly? Thats the real question. Our clubs ability to evaluate talent no matter what the pick.
This!

The top ten seems to pretty much pick itself, the media gets the opinions from all recruiters but there's only marginal preference to club needs over pure talent. I don't think you can really go wrong inside the top 10, whether the player comes on is a different matter. I imagine most clubs would have taken Tambling had he slid down the draft a couple of spots.

Status
Not open for further replies.