Wooden Spoon 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Ok, this is off season dreaming.
With Cunners back fit and firing,
WiPhi ready to prove a point,
more harmony with the excision of the cancer that was JHF,
another season into the younger players, without the loss of too much core experience,
LDU starting to realise what he is capable of,
Charlie on the park,
a couple of fresh starting 22 recruits,
and a f*n game plan,
I'm seeing a rise up the ladder for us next year. Not finals for a year or two, but we will be much better in 2023.
Not dreaming at all!
(You forgot an effective preseason, courtesy of our master coach)

Last edited:
Y
With next year’s draft strong, finishing last may be some short term pain. However, if we can get Clarko back, I think he can weave some coaching genius to beat his old mob, and we would be a chance to finish above the s**t show that is Essendon and our old coach. Thoughts?
You guys have 2 OUTSTANDING prospects coming your way. JHF will be good, these 2 will be better.

Clarko was stuck in a rut with the hawks as he tried to honour promises made to many. The hawks needed a change Of coach to clear the decks and Sam Mitchell will be shown to be a great coach (with what some called a diabolical list he got 8 wins!)

The accusations against Clarko likely have some merit … but for mine not on race terms, he “just” on overstepping the bounds of dealing with vulnerable young men = every person drafted.

The AFL are already sweeping the “power divide between player and the coach” under the carpet as they know there are many more stories out there.

While I do not believe that Clarko was right in many of his interactions at the Hawks, I do believe his intent was passable.

Here is the kicker!

I think that if Clarko comes the NM then he will, without doubt, and clearly, make all interactions with vulnerable people done most honestly and with advice from all needed parties. He is a man who will fix his wrongs and make himself better.

Initially I thought Clarko was gone from AFL based not on fact but on outrage. I have a good idea on who the wronged parties were and it will be interesting to hear Clarko’s and others right of reply.

If you only ask people with blue eyes whether they are unhappy … you will only find people with blue eyes that are unhappy.

Can a third spoon in a row preceeded by a 17th place finish be considered "short term pain"?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
No. No it cannot.

One was bad enough.

Two is awful.

A third would woefully terrible.

What’s more is a third spoon would indicate that even with the best coach of the modern era we are only holding water.

I do not expect us to make a huge leap from the bottom but you gotta set the expectations at improvement.

Best case - 9+ wins this would be amazing from where we are.

Big improvement - 6-8 wins this would still be brilliant and signify big steps forward.

Improvement - 5-6 wins clearly identifiable style of play, repeatable scoring method.

Bare minimum - more wins than this year don’t win the f***ing spoon.

Not gonna lie, you lads should find a way, anyway to get the Number 1 pick next year, trading it for it who knows. But Harley Reid is a freak of nature.

Before us Melbourne, GWS and STK I think are the most recent teams to get back to back spoons. Richmond and Carlton had a couple within a few years too.

However 3 in a row in modern AFL is unprecedented, historically inept stuff. That's when it starts to really hurt the brand off field.

Can a third spoon in a row preceeded by a 17th place finish be considered "short term pain"?

Sent from my SM-A908B using Tapatalk
Dont forget final round of 2017 we played the Lions for the spoon....5 years on we've had 2 spoons and a 17th to go with that, while other clubs have been gifted PP etc, while the Lions made a rapid ascent. We been sh1t since midway through 2016. I think our list is a lot better than results suggest, and some of the stats suggest that with contested ball, clearances etc.....what we need is to play as a team and a cohesive game plan that goes with that. Clarko will bring it. Im pretty bullish for 2023 and mid table ladder finish wouldn't surprise me in the least.

I think we'll still be bottom four and get a good talent in that mix anyway. We need to win 4-8 games so the team feels good and sees improvement.
Finals I think is a stretch, not crazy given Pies rise, but can't see it happening first year whilst the team and coaches all learn a new gameplan and new faces coming into the team, its going to take time to gel.
It's really hard to read what will happen next year. Hawks I think would be prime candidates for the spoon given their list changes.
Does WCE win more games after the year they had or does the cliff come? They could win 6-8 games with their experience.
Has a team won 4-6 games and won the spoon? The bottom 6 is very even.

Dont forget final round of 2017 we played the Lions for the spoon....5 years on we've had 2 spoons and a 17th to go with that, while other clubs have been gifted PP etc, while the Lions made a rapid ascent. We been sh1t since midway through 2016. I think our list is a lot better than results suggest, and some of the stats suggest that with contested ball, clearances etc.....what we need is to play as a team and a cohesive game plan that goes with that. Clarko will bring it. Im pretty bullish for 2023 and mid table ladder finish wouldn't surprise me in the least.

It wasn’t good. 2020-22 have plunged to new levels of aweful.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

However 3 in a row in modern AFL is unprecedented, historically inept stuff. That's when it starts to really hurt the brand off field.
3 in a row is barely precedented even for the entirety of the VFL/AFL, only five streaks of 3+ in league history:
St. Kilda 1897-1902
University 1911-1914
North Melbourne 1929-1931
St. Kilda 1983-1986
Sydney 1992-1994

Not gonna lie, you lads should find a way, anyway to get the Number 1 pick next year, trading it for it who knows. But Harley Reid is a freak of nature.

I am going to sacrifice a chicken on an altar of blood and hope Port have a horrible start to the year, sack Ken, and end with the spoon, giving us pick 1 in the draft.

I am going to sacrifice a chicken on an altar of blood and hope Port have a horrible start to the year, sack Ken, and end with the spoon, giving us pick 1 in the draft.
* that would be so good!

A third in a row is an absolute failure, we should be turning the corner soon and be on the up, I couldn't care less about the number one pick obsession, we need to start improving. Has to be 5-7 win season, its non-negotiable.

I think we will do a lot better next year.

I think we will do a lot better next year.

I'm expecting this also, I think its the best approach is to actually have expectations for us from here on out, we have the cattle to start competing, we won't be soaring up the ladder but theres a few teams who will be far far worse performers than us, and we have an actual coach who wants to compete.

I'm expecting this also, I think its the best approach is to actually have expectations for us from here on out, we have the cattle to start competing, we won't be soaring up the ladder but theres a few teams who will be far far worse performers than us, and we have an actual coach who wants to compete.
My concern is whether we have the list to do so. The delisting take away what experience we had.

I sort of hope my boys win the spoon.
It's the only thing in 44 years I haven't seen them win.

Getting Harley Reid would be good but winning games is better.
Think we’ll jump a few just with clarko coming in - let alone with
the improvement we get from Chom , wilphi, cunners ,Logue, goater ,PC, sheezel getting more games
Plus a full year of LDU in the guts

Remove this Banner Ad

Back