Wooden Spoon 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Magnets

Team Captain
Nov 2, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
With next year’s draft strong, finishing last may be some short term pain. However, if we can get Clarko back, I think he can weave some coaching genius to beat his old mob, and we would be a chance to finish above the s**t show that is Essendon and our old coach. Thoughts?

I think we’ve got a better list than WC, Essendon, Adelaide and Hawks. GWS have better top end but they have gutted their depth.

If we can get our s**t together we should be in the top half of the bottom 8
I think we pass gws, hawks wc and *.
We cant afford to finish last again or we will lose good players and be stuck last for another 3-4 years.
As soon as we can attract senior players we will move up the ladder properly.

It will depend how other teams do really, but I think anywhere from 6-8 wins next year will be about par for us and that can land teams anywhere from about 12th to 18th.

But I doubt Hawthorn or WC get 6 wins, so 16th would be as low as we’d go. That wouldn’t be a huge jump, but it’s pretty rare that the wooden spooner jumps out of the bottom 4 the next year.

Would be a hard watch but Reid as the prize would make it all better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Look, I’d love a couple more groovy draft picks, but I’m so ******* sick of losing. I think we’ll finish bottom 6 which would still get us a good pick, but more importantly it will provide hope.

All in on the poooort death ride too, of course.

We can certainly thank Scotts for our lack of groovy draft picks, it was a blatant conflict of interest from the AFL in having him be one of the decision makers. In addition to what we got I reckon we should have received two first rd pp's, one this year and one 2023.

Anyway, I'm optimistic that in general we'll be far more competitive and will rise up the ladder a few spots. Game plan and injuries were a 'mill stone' around our necks in 2022, hopefully we can have a much better run with player availability in 2023.

I think we pass gws, hawks wc and *.
We cant afford to finish last again or we will lose good players and be stuck last for another 3-4 years.
As soon as we can attract senior players we will move up the ladder properly.

More importantly we lose new supporters, which affects membership and any chance of ever being on prime time ever again.

Start of first priority pick 2023
What’s the process re application for pp at the end of next year? Even if we do win a few more games say 5 or 6. Presuming the afl would still need to look at our performance over the previous 3-4 years? Add into that we had a number 1 draft pick walk mid contract. Hopefully they won’t have the * coach overseeing our assistance package next year (what a fu*ing farce of a competition)

17th-18th-18th-18th would be "short-term pain"?!?!?

It never ceases to shock me how easy some find it to continue fetishising failure - even as we've followed in other clubs' footsteps by categorically demonstrating how damaging being down the bottom can be by collapsing to record levels of awful (11 straight 40+ defeats), having to start afresh with yet another new coach, and so on. Remains the case that no #1 pick has won a flag with the club that finished last and drafted them.

We fundamentally need to get better, and quickly. Fortunately, despite the horror of the 2022 season, there's enough reason to think (and thus expect) that we can take the necessary steps to start climbing out from the cellar and actually winning games of football more often than a change of smoke alarm batteries...

Last again, no *ing way.
Enough of this we’ve got enough good draft picks and we will start losing them if this continues. I want this club to be competitive again every week and sick of the negative stories coming our way that being last brings to the team, especially with another wooden spoon ranking this club with the worst of all time.

We don't need to bottom out any more, we've got Clarkson and young talent for him to mould.

We build standards on the track and on the field next year, the momentum will follow over the following two years.

Star talent will crawl over each other to get on the wave in Clarko's 4th and 5th years.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back