Wooden Spoon 2023

Remove this Banner Ad

Dawks will give it a good shake. They're going all in on the tank.

Wouldn't count us out though. Our pressure isn't gonna change drastically in one pre season, even if that preseason is under the tutelage of some gun coaches, though I'm hoping the boys get a rude awakening fitness wise and that the pressure improves at least a bit. This season we were as defensively sound as a pappadum.

LMac's probably our only AFL standard non-tall in the back 6 in terms of defensive ability. Perez tries, but isn't quite there yet, and Stepho/Hall are pure distributors. Scott's ok defensively but I prefer him on the wing.

Still have way, way, way too many eggs in the Comben basket, and if he has another interrupted pre season, our forward woes won't improve at all.

I'm also worried that Logue and Corr are too similar. Corr maybe slightly more attack minded, and Logue a better mark, but I've got my reservations about whether Logue will consistently be able to handle the second key forward every week.

Clarko and co., presuming they coach us, have a bit to work with, but the holes in the list are still gaping, and I'd be wary of asserting that we're no chance of the spoon

No we won’t.
I hope so but I can only see us about the same spot as Hawthorn. Who knows, if Clarko can get a system and buy in from the players, and players like Thomas/Phillips/Stephenson/Cunners/ Polec (who knows 🤷‍♂️)/Bonar/Young/CCJ/ Powell/Goater/Comben/Ford and Dawson can really push hard and become consistent players for us who knows. We need to have a really good run with injuries which we haven’t had for a while to compete and get a high top8 of the bottom 8 finish.

Dawks will give it a good shake. They're going all in on the tank.

Wouldn't count us out though. Our pressure isn't gonna change drastically in one pre season, even if that preseason is under the tutelage of some gun coaches, though I'm hoping the boys get a rude awakening fitness wise and that the pressure improves at least a bit. This season we were as defensively sound as a pappadum.

LMac's probably our only AFL standard non-tall in the back 6 in terms of defensive ability. Perez tries, but isn't quite there yet, and Stepho/Hall are pure distributors. Scott's ok defensively but I prefer him on the wing.

Still have way, way, way too many eggs in the Comben basket, and if he has another interrupted pre season, our forward woes won't improve at all.

I'm also worried that Logue and Corr are too similar. Corr maybe slightly more attack minded, and Logue a better mark, but I've got my reservations about whether Logue will consistently be able to handle the second key forward every week.

Clarko and co., presuming they coach us, have a bit to work with, but the holes in the list are still gaping, and I'd be wary of asserting that we're no chance of the spoon
Walker has to be kept on the list, I don't see another stop gap forward/defender available to us. With improvement from the middle hopefully the backline won't be under the same pressure and we will get some better forward 50 volumes and quality.

Griffin Logue should give us a better structure in the back field which would stop so many points against.
Gaining two quality mids could improve our points for.

Be

looks like most of the posts here are wishfull thinking, IMO were odds on again for the spoon, i think we have another 15 odd spots to shurn out to get a list thats able to compete. we have a few journeyman contracted to the end of next season, once they are churned through we should have some depth so cover the inevitable injuries that occur.

our vfl competativeness will be a litmis test for our depth.

looks like most of the posts here are wishfull thinking, IMO were odds on again for the spoon, i think we have another 15 odd spots to shurn out to get a list thats able to compete. we have a few journeyman contracted to the end of next season, once they are churned through we should have some depth so cover the inevitable injuries that occur.

our vfl competativeness will be a litmis test for our depth.
VFL will be the canary, that's for sure.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a perfect world, Port will finish last and we can get Reid with their pick. I can't see it happening and I think we will do a lot better next season.

With next year’s draft strong, finishing last may be some short term pain. However, if we can get Clarko back, I think he can weave some coaching genius to beat his old mob, and we would be a chance to finish above the s**t show that is Essendon and our old coach. Thoughts?
As much as I can see the potential merit to this and the just to set a new record for lol’s side of things, no.

I hope so but I can only see us about the same spot as Hawthorn. Who knows, if Clarko can get a system and buy in from the players, and players like Thomas/Phillips/Stephenson/Cunners/ Polec (who knows 🤷‍♂️)/Bonar/Young/CCJ/ Powell/Goater/Comben/Ford and Dawson can really push hard and become consistent players for us who knows. We need to have a really good run with injuries which we haven’t had for a while to compete and get a high top8 of the bottom 8 finish.
We have enough talent , it just needs developing which l'm hoping Clarko and Co can do...

Last edited:
I guess the Hawks are the biggest contenders.

You'd think Wet Coke too but they typically bounce back after a poor year. A very yo-yo club.

But Harley Reid looks so good

Think it’ll be a battle between dawks n weagles for the spoon

Can see us above the bottom 6 as we’ll improve with a decent coach , an actual game plan , better defensive structures, cunners/TT/comben/Phillips plus logue/tucker- no sooky biatch

But Harley Reid looks so good

Think it’ll be a battle between dawks n weagles for the spoon

Can see us above the bottom 6 as we’ll improve with a decent coach , an actual game plan , better defensive structures, cunners/TT/comben/Phillips plus logue/tucker- no sooky biatch
Few ifs and buts here. Personally I don't think Tucker should be included in any conversation around game changers. He's an ok player but I can absolutely see him becoming a whipping boy on here. Not enough game breaking traits and is supposedly a bit slow to make decisions

Few ifs and buts here. Personally I don't think Tucker should be included in any conversation around game changers. He's an ok player but I can absolutely see him becoming a whipping boy on here. Not enough game breaking traits and is supposedly a bit slow to make decisions
Everything is ifs/buts in this game

Ok, this is off season dreaming.
With Cunners back fit and firing,
WiPhi ready to prove a point,
more harmony with the excision of the cancer that was JHF,
another season into the younger players, without the loss of too much core experience,
LDU starting to realise what he is capable of,
Charlie on the park,
a couple of fresh starting 22 recruits,
and a f*n game plan,
I'm seeing a rise up the ladder for us next year. Not finals for a year or two, but we will be much better in 2023.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back