Radio Sport on radio: SEN, Triple M, 3AW, ABC, 6PR, 5AA, 4BC, 2UE, RSN

Remove this Banner Ad

Daniel Harford is doing experts on the Essendon-North game for the ABC. Is this new? He's a great acquisition for Aunty if this is to be a permanent arrangement.

As long as he doesn't mumble like he can do on his morning show...wish he was still on SEN though

Yes! It’s infuriating. Have u also noticed he has a trait where he’ll say something , then deepen his voice and quickly mumble something as a condition?

Eg. Richmond have been really disappointing this season…

Thoughhasnthelpedthattomlynchsbeenoutformostoftheseason (mumbling quickly)

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Noticed how popular the SEN thread is and wondered how theres no dedicated 3AW thread? Probably is somewhere. I do listen to wide World of sport and actually prefer it over sportsday

Before Sportsday left 3AW I preferred it because of Healy and the regular guests (Lethal, Lloyd, Caro and Richo) who are still there but I cannot stomach McClure so tend to listen to SEN Sportsday more often nowadays. Maybe start a 3AW thread?

For those wanting a bit more energy in the morning then RSN with Harf isn't too bad. There's obviously some racing stuff throughout but not as much as Garry and Tim waffling about wine or whatever else.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Connolly using the difference in reporting vis a vis Beveridge and Lyon to really attack Bevo's critics - and noted non- followers of his precious, pious concept of journalism - Morris/Cornes/Barrett. On Connolly, it seems the AFL/7 don't have him asking the first question on Friday night coach pressers; was an odd choice last season given he doesn't have a mainstream outlet anymore, except maybe a bit of graveyard AW stuff and a column in Red Flag, I don't know 😕

Last edited:
On Connolly, it seems the AFL/7 don't have him asking the first question on Friday night coach pressers; was an odd choice last season given he doesn't have a mainstream outlet anymore, except maybe a bit of graveyard AW stuff and a column in Red Flag, I don't know

He seems to be on 3AW a bit more this year, when he's not going coco bananas on Twitter. As it's a Channel 9 owned station it doesn't surprise me that someone else gets first crack at questions. It always seemed to be Tom Browne, and Mark Stevens going further back. Who does Ch.7 send to the pressers these days?

Connolly using the difference in reporting vis a vis Beveridge and Lyon to really attack Bevo's critics - and noted non- followers of his precious, pious concept of journalism - Morris/Cornes/Barrett. On Connolly, it seems the AFL/7 don't have him asking the first question on Friday night coach pressers; was an odd choice last season given he doesn't have a mainstream outlet anymore, except maybe a bit of graveyard AW stuff and a column in Red Flag, I don't know 😕

Hi MauroFogheri The Made Guy (and anyone else here), just wanted to clear a couple of things up in the interests of accuracy. My comments about Lyon & Beveridge on 3AW on Saturday had nothing to do with my own concept of journalism, but were about people using their own personal biases to prosecute a supposedly professionally-based case for or against a particular coach, which I think is wrong (as I reckon most people would).

In particular, I was talking about former players in the media (not the journos per se) who seem to bend over backwards for Ross Lyon when they wouldn’t necessarily do that for others, not just Beveridge.

Now, just to clear up some misconceptions you appear to have, the AFL or Ch7 don’t use anyone to ask anything at post-game pressers. It’s not up to them. Anyone covering a game is free to attend and ask what they like when they like, which is what I do at any game I’m at for work purposes. I don’t particularly care if it’s the first, 3rd or 15th question asked, nor does anyone else, we all just usually let the Ch7 representative go first because they’re the broadcaster and they have their own mic.

Oh, and along with going “coco bananas” on Twitter, and pursuing my “precious, pious concept of journalism” (thanks, by the way, most of us older journos would say the industry now could do with more accuracy and decent writing), I do 3AW footy most Saturdays and Sundays (not quite the graveyard stuff yet), I run Footyology, and I write three columns a week for ESPN and one for Australian Community Media.

Not sure what ‘Red Flag’ is (apart from a tired old cliché that someone of your political leanings might have used 50-odd years ago), but you do seem to make it abundantly clear on here that you can’t stand anything politically to the left of Genghis Khan. Which is fine, but as I say repeatedly, my politics aren’t “left” so much as just socially progressive. There’s a pretty big difference.

And yes, I do read and enjoy BigFooty, and post the Footyology podcast with Rodney Eade on here on the Podcasts forum each Wednesday. And no, we don’t discuss politics on it. ;)

Cheers,
Rohan

Hi MauroFogheri The Made Guy (and anyone else here), just wanted to clear a couple of things up in the interests of accuracy. My comments about Lyon & Beveridge on 3AW on Saturday had nothing to do with my own concept of journalism, but were about people using their own personal biases to prosecute a supposedly professionally-based case for or against a particular coach, which I think is wrong (as I reckon most people would).

In particular, I was talking about former players in the media (not the journos per se) who seem to bend over backwards for Ross Lyon when they wouldn’t necessarily do that for others, not just Beveridge.

Now, just to clear up some misconceptions you appear to have, the AFL or Ch7 don’t use anyone to ask anything at post-game pressers. It’s not up to them. Anyone covering a game is free to attend and ask what they like when they like, which is what I do at any game I’m at for work purposes. I don’t particularly care if it’s the first, 3rd or 15th question asked, nor does anyone else, we all just usually let the Ch7 representative go first because they’re the broadcaster and they have their own mic.

Oh, and along with going “coco bananas” on Twitter, and pursuing my “precious, pious concept of journalism” (thanks, by the way, most of us older journos would say the industry now could do with more accuracy and decent writing), I do 3AW footy most Saturdays and Sundays (not quite the graveyard stuff yet), I run Footyology, and I write three columns a week for ESPN and one for Australian Community Media.

Not sure what ‘Red Flag’ is (apart from a tired old cliché that someone of your political leanings might have used 50-odd years ago), but you do seem to make it abundantly clear on here that you can’t stand anything politically to the left of Genghis Khan. Which is fine, but as I say repeatedly, my politics aren’t “left” so much as just socially progressive. There’s a pretty big difference.

And yes, I do read and enjoy BigFooty, and post the Footyology podcast with Rodney Eade on here on the Podcasts forum each Wednesday. And no, we don’t discuss politics on it. ;)

Cheers,
Rohan
Excellent response Rohan, and I'm sure there's plenty of posters here, including myself, that appreciate the fact that you come in and contribute to the BigFooty forum without a pseudonym and in full disclosure mode.

Added to this, with so many clickbait-driven, muck-raking gutter-tabloid footy "journos" doing the rounds nowadays, your columns and segments are and always have been refreshingly insightful and pure in a football media sense. That so many of the hacks in your industry seek to make the story about themselves and their cohort, as if football reporting itself is as much of an imperative to the rank and file footy supporter as the players and the game itself, has drained so much of my interest away from traditional football media. I tend to avoid it like the plague nowadays, even when my team are winning.

Anyway, very appreciative of having you drop in and and giving us the opportunity via this platform to discuss with you genuine footy content, quality rock music, politics, or even the second half of the 1995 semi final if the conversation happened to go in that direction 😁

One more thing - and I'm certain you've probably been asked this in the past, so forgive me if you've answered it elsewhere - what is the major hurdle at post-match coaches press conferences to the host broadcaster providing a roving microphone for the reporters, so that we punters that are tuning in have at least a fighting chance of knowing what are the actual feckin questions being asked?

Cheers, Ghost

Excellent response Rohan, and I'm sure there's plenty of posters here, including myself, that appreciate the fact that you come in and contribute to the BigFooty forum without a pseudonym and in full disclosure mode.

Added to this, with so many clickbait-driven, muck-raking gutter-tabloid footy "journos" doing the rounds nowadays, your columns and segments are and always have been refreshingly insightful and pure in a football media sense. That so many of the hacks in your industry seek to make the story about themselves and their cohort, as if football reporting itself is as much of an imperative to the rank and file footy supporter as the players and the game itself, has drained so much of my interest away from traditional football media. I tend to avoid it like the plague nowadays, even when my team are winning.

Anyway, very appreciative of having you drop in and and giving us the opportunity via this platform to discuss with you genuine footy content, quality rock music, politics, or even the second half of the 1995 semi final if the conversation happened to go in that direction 😁

One more thing - and I'm certain you've probably been asked this in the past, so forgive me if you've answered it elsewhere - what is the major hurdle at post-match coaches press conferences to the host broadcaster providing a roving microphone for the reporters, so that we punters that are tuning in have at least a fighting chance of knowing what are the actual feckin questions being asked?

Cheers, Ghost

Thanks GhostofJimJess, appreciate the kind words! Have had my fill of reminiscence about the 95 semi if that's OK with you. ;) Just on the presser stuff, the situation these days is that Ch7 will have a person with a boom mic to pick up questions for those night games where they take the pressers live (ie. Thurs and Fri night) but not the others. And the AFL has never seemed to think it was worth the expense to do it themselves. Not sure why, because I agree as a punter watching on it's pretty frustrating not to know what's actually being asked, would seem fairly central to the answer given! :tearsofjoy:

Cheers,
Rohan

Remove this Banner Ad

Back