Stadium Redevelopments

Remove this Banner Ad

Architects like most professions do learn from their mistakes over time
Absolutely, we don't always get it right the 2nd time either though.

I am genuinely interested in the Spurs stadium (and Chelsea's) and not trolling as WR has suggested. I've seen a lot of similarities between this design and the Emirates, as well as a heavy focus on corporate experience which suggests to me that it may well not the "cauldron" that spurs fans are hoping it will be.

White Hart Lane isn't the noisiest stadium now, and taking that same crowd into a brand new stadium with an increase in corporate/visitors is most likely to result in a downturn in atmosphere. The single tier home end looks to be a good feature (particularly if the pitch to seats distance is as short as 5m as suggested), trying to facilitate separate uses (NFL for example, which has longer pitch dimensions than football that have to be allowed for) will always detract from the experience for football fans though.

This is the size comparison between Spurs/Ars and us. Apparently we'll have the crowds closer to the field.
32251243891_b7e6ebdbb5_b.jpg

Absolutely, we don't always get it right the 2nd time either though.

I am genuinely interested in the Spurs stadium (and Chelsea's) and not trolling as WR has suggested. I've seen a lot of similarities between this design and the Emirates, as well as a heavy focus on corporate experience which suggests to me that it may well not the "cauldron" that spurs fans are hoping it will be.

White Hart Lane isn't the noisiest stadium now, and taking that same crowd into a brand new stadium with an increase in corporate/visitors is most likely to result in a downturn in atmosphere. The single tier home end looks to be a good feature (particularly if the pitch to seats distance is as short as 5m as suggested), trying to facilitate separate uses (NFL for example, which has longer pitch dimensions than football that have to be allowed for) will always detract from the experience for football fans though.
WHL is quite noisy. Just need to look at the home games over the past 2 months or any time where we aren't playing drab football.

The distance from the pitch is the concern behind the goals at one end. But is still closer than the 2 new stadiums in London. The type of supporter that will be at the new stadium is the other issue. Can see it being Man U like where there's 5-10k tourist type attendee who is just there for entertainment. But having been over there and being a member who would often miss out on tickets due to the small capacity at the Lane, so I think the new stadium will at least help more diehards get to games

Certainly sounds interesting. Deliberately designing the stadium to reverberate more in order to keep chants going is a strange theory though, the reverberations will be delayed compared with the actual fans so could cause chants to get muddled and out of time and finish earlier I would have thought. The underside of the Emirates roof is also clad in metal panels which in theory should reflect sound. Every seat in the Emirates is padded that may well have an affect on the noise levels as they would absorb sound waves, if the stadium is full though I'd think the impact would be negligible.

I think one of the major issues with the Emirates Stadium design is the openings below the roof in the corners which would release a lot of the crowd noise out of the stadium, it's caused issues with some of the concerts occurring there and people living nearby complaining about noise pollution. Interestingly the design for the Spurs stadium incorporates the same feature.

Certainly sounds interesting. Deliberately designing the stadium to reverberate more in order to keep chants going is a strange theory though, the reverberations will be delayed compared with the actual fans so could cause chants to get muddled and out of time and finish earlier I would have thought. The underside of the Emirates roof is also clad in metal panels which in theory should reflect sound. Every seat in the Emirates is padded that may well have an affect on the noise levels as they would absorb sound waves, if the stadium is full though I'd think the impact would be negligible.

I think one of the major issues with the Emirates Stadium design is the openings below the roof in the corners which would release a lot of the crowd noise out of the stadium, it's caused issues with some of the concerts occurring there and people living nearby complaining about noise pollution. Interestingly the design for the Spurs stadium incorporates the same feature.
Yeah I found that a bit odd about the timing of the sound reverberating being out of sync since it's something they actually talk about as being one of the things they want to avoid.

Would the angle of the roof have anything to do with keeping in / letting out sound?

Yeah I found that a bit odd about the timing of the sound reverberating being out of sync since it's something they actually talk about as being one of the things they want to avoid.

Would the angle of the roof have anything to do with keeping in / letting out sound?
Yeah it will all come down to angles really. The surface material can either reflect sound if its solid or absorb it if its soft or perforated, the way the sound bounces around will depend on the angle of the surface to the source of the noise.

Maybe they will try and have the roof on a similar angle to the stands so it bounces back to the crowd directly rather than out into the airspace over the pitch. Again this is something that they did at the Emirates that doesn't seem to have worked particularly well.

Manchester United are seriously considering expanding the Old Trafford capacity to a staggering 88,000.

The increase by more than 12,000 would be likely to start with an extra 7,500 seats in the Sir Bobby Charlton stand, formerly known as the main stand.

Previously, the railway line at the back of the structure meant expansion would require a costly tunnel and the demolition of a number of houses. Advances in technology, however, mean this may no longer be an issue.

United would then look at adding quadrants in the two corners of the stand which they would be able to build without reducing capacity while work was ongoing.

Following completion, capacity would stand at about 88,000 — putting Old Trafford second only to Barcelona’s 99,354-capacity Nou Camp at club level in Europe.

It would be second in this country to Wembley (90,000) and bigger than Real Madrid’s Bernabeu (85,454).

A safe-standing area may also feature in the development and though United fans are in favour this would require a change in legislation.

United fans group MUST has demanded the biggest club stadium in Europe and United managing director Richard Arnold told Sportsmail the club are ‘acutely aware’ of the clamour to increase .

Any development would be likely to include hospitality suites, with United currently using Lancashire County Cricket Club facilities for corporate packages.

Article this morning says we're thinking again.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...Trafford-88-000-capacity.html#article-4153990

Also, the club has finalised its disabled seating plan which will allow 300 new positions in the stadium.

It's meant to turn out like this. Grey bits are the new areas. Fair to say, it's gonna look a lot different.

C27orVPWIAA2Gl3.jpg

Article this morning says we're thinking again.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/sp...Trafford-88-000-capacity.html#article-4153990

Also, the club has finalised its disabled seating plan which will allow 300 new positions in the stadium.

It's meant to turn out like this. Grey bits are the new areas. Fair to say, it's gonna look a lot different.

View attachment 330202
Odd position to have the wheelchair accessible seats right behind the goals. Understand having them on the lower level being necessary but you'd think on the wings would be better. Not only the loss of atmosphere behind but also the fact that many of the occupants of those seats wouldn't be able to stop/react to a wayward shot heading straight for them!

Odd position to have the wheelchair accessible seats right behind the goals. Understand having them on the lower level being necessary but you'd think on the wings would be better. Not only the loss of atmosphere behind but also the fact that many of the occupants of those seats wouldn't be able to stop/react to a wayward shot heading straight for them!
Dude that's what i initially thought too lol. Happy Straya Day

lol United fans desperate to get in on this thread with their piddly refurb

(Log in to remove this ad.)

How does safe standing/rail seating work exactly. Apparently the lower tier of the 'kop' stand is being designed to accommodate this should the legislation change. If so it'd be introduced and increase the capacity from 61k to 68k.

How does safe standing/rail seating work exactly. Apparently the lower tier of the 'kop' stand is being designed to accommodate this should the legislation change. If so it'd be introduced and increase the capacity from 61k to 68k.
I think it's a rail with a padded back and a flip down seat. Seats can be locked up or locked down.

I doubt there would be significant changes in capacity as it will still be one seat per supporter even if the seats are locked up.

Germany has them. Do any of our Bundesliga posters know if there is any (if any) capacity changes?

I think it's a rail with a padded back and a flip down seat. Seats can be locked up or locked down.

I doubt there would be significant changes in capacity as it will still be one seat per supporter even if the seats are locked up.

Germany has them. Do any of our Bundesliga posters know if there is any (if any) capacity changes?
I didn't think it would either but apparently that's how the club is reporting it at their VR tours of the new stadium

happy about the club making more seating available for fans with disabilities. more clubs should follow
It's a league requirement. All clubs comply with the new rules except I think) two or three who have short term extensions.

The only way could be if they could move the rails I guess.

I'm pretty sure most plans for safe standing are one rail per row.
Yeah depends if they are planning on purpose building safe standing rows or just adding a rail. If they are purpose built then the gap between rows would probably be narrower than usual and more capacity could be added. Not sure on the regs.

Most safe standing seats look like this with fold up seats:

safe-standing.jpg

Although in Germany some of the stadiums have detachable seats and only the rails stay behind:

Bochum.png

Forest Green Rovers looking to build the world's first modern-age wooden football stadium

In the battle for promotion from English soccer's fifth tier, every result is key for title contenders Forest Green Rovers but one victory in particular would have a significant impact on the future of the eco-friendly club.

Rovers, based in the south-west English county of Gloucestershire, are already a ground-breaking vegan club - now they are awaiting planning permission to build the world's first modern-age wooden soccer stadium, incorporating a host of sustainable, eco-positive features.

The 5,000 capacity venue, designed by Zaha Hadid Architects, will be the centre-piece for Eco Park, a 100 million pound ($163.83 million) sports and green technology business park in Stroud featuring training pitches and a sport science hub.

"The really big deal is the fact that it's all made out of wood, minimum use of concrete," said Dale Vince, Forest Green Rovers' chairman and green energy industrialist.

The proposed stadium will feature a translucent, sloping roof to reduce shadows on the pitch and aid grass growth, with venue walkways carefully designed to allow better ventilation and maintenance of the field.

Modern fire-*ant treatments on timber make wood safe to use, said the long-haired, earring-wearing Vince, who has some bold long-term goals for the club.

The 55-year-old broadened his eco philosophy to soccer in 2010 when he took over the lowly English club and instigated a 'Green Revolution', removing red meat from the menu and turning the club vegan among a raft of initiatives.

He also installed solar panels and laid an organic pitch at their current New Lawn stadium in Nailsworth where a robotic lawnmower is employed to cut the grass.

That venue will be redeveloped into a number of sustainable, eco-homes should planning permission be granted for Eco Park, which will also be home to the headquarters of Vince's company.

These changes appear to agree with Rovers, who sit third in the English National League, four points behind leaders Lincoln City in the race for the one guaranteed promotion place to League Two, a division the club have never played in.

The club have 16 games left to win promotion, but Vince said the stadium move is necessary for sustainable success.

"We've found the perfect location we think to build something that's going to be really 'out there' in terms of its environment design and infrastructure," he said.

"It'll be eco by name and by nature as you might imagine."

http://mobile.abc.net.au/news/2017-...-success-for-english-club/8258260?pfmredir=sm

Interesting..

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back