Toast Stamp out Selwood-like high frees: Clarkson

Remove this Banner Ad

I thought Scott delivered a pretty good presser after the last game and seemed to have a good handle on things.

And then he undoes it all with this :

"He's been concussed three times and he plays the game in the right manner."

Right. Like deliberately tripping opposition players.

unless you have the strength and hand eye co ordination of Cyril so that you can grab the arm low enough to stop the shrug, but not many blokes like that out there
but yeah if anyone doesn't believe a normal tackle is in Selwoods favour should try to hug the upper arms of a friend and try to stop them dropping and shrugging, oh and they should do it while running just for science

Agree. The little tricks some use that seem to go unnoticed or in the case some media experts are lauded as great play. Full back of the century used to annoy hell out of me with the way he would judo throw a player out of the contest and the commentators would all scream as one STRENGTH.

I was at a mates birthday party several years ago and somehow the conversation got onto football. One of the group was a real Carlton supporter and he was wanking on about how good Silvagni (probably not the right spelling but who cares)was. I pointed out to him that he was a cheat in the way he disposed of his opponent in a marking contest. Naturally the guy was outraged so I said 'look I'll show you'

As I was talking I moved myself into a position where we were standing shoulder to shoulder with him on my right side. Now, I have to say at this stage that all of us were in a convivial mood so there was no malice in what was to follow.

I threw my right leg behind his legs and at the same time put out my right arm across his chest and then just slightly leaned back. I did not mean to cause any harm but I sat him on his arse. All apologetically I helped him back up reiterating that this is what his hero does. He took it in good spirits.

My mate is a Hawthorn supporter and out of the side of his mouth he said....STRENGTH

Scott missed the point. Concussions aren't the only thing that cause brain injury. Indeed, one of the biggest contributors is the repeated bumping of the brain against the inside of the skull. It happens every time Selwood draws a free kick. That's why Selwood (and others) should stop and why the AFL should clamp down on it.

"He's been concussed three times and he plays the game in the right manner."
He exploits a rule that is meant to protect players from injury. That's not "playing in the right manner".

By bending his knees and lifting his arm he deliberately tries to change a legal tackle into one that hits him high. If, as Scott says, he is shrugging to break the tackle then the contact he induces to his head should be treated the same way as when a player deliberately ducks - play on.

Scott missed the point. Concussions aren't the only thing that cause brain injury. Indeed, one of the biggest contributors is the repeated bumping of the brain against the inside of the skull. It happens every time Selwood draws a free kick. That's why Selwood (and others) should stop and why the AFL should clamp down on it.

He exploits a rule that is meant to protect players from injury. That's not "playing in the right manner".

By bending his knees and lifting his arm he deliberately tries to change a legal tackle into one that hits him high. If, as Scott says, he is shrugging to break the tackle then the contact he induces to his head should be treated the same way as when a player deliberately ducks - play on.

Spot on.

Scott is probably thinking 'Mission Accomplished' after that presser, but again (just like THAT game) his view of the bigger picture is laughably wrong.

I'm 50/50 about the high tackle issue. Like many other areas in today's game, many basic skills are being ignored. I was taught to tackle the shorts. In other words, go in lower. If this happened, the Selwood style free kick would quickly be a thing of the past. No good aiming to tackle around the chest and shoulders.

I'm confused about it all because I thought the AFL were going to clamp down on it this year, but nothing has changed.

100% behind Clarko with prior opportunity, that's just too stupid for words. The strange thing about "prior opportunity" is the player rarely has prior opportunity. A player gets the ball, get's ridden into the ground, three people jump on top so he can't get rid of the ball, and the umpire says he had prior opportunity. Absolute rubbish.
If players still tackled at the opponents hips like you suggest, the tackled player would accept contact then handball on (their arms not being pinned), also removing the tackler from the sequence of play. You have seen the results of this before, in the second half of the 2016 semifinal when the Bulldog midfield ran riot, only in that instance they chose to spill or throw the ball forwards rather than handball

I may be drawing a long bow but this comment by Scott has me amused!

"We don't for a second suggest to the umpires how they should adjudicate the game. And it's not my position as coach to try to dictate the rules of the game."

So every time a decision goes against Geelong and Scott does his best tabletennis ball swallowing clown impersonation........there no implied pressure on the umps to influence future decisions?

Also curious whether Selwood querying every decision that doesn't go his way is trying to influence the umpires future decisions....end of the first quarter Selwood reluctant to give the ball to the umpire, wanted a 50m penalty!

Well said Clarko on the Selwood ducking rubbish! The AFL need to wipe that out of the game as a priority. It's getting to be only Caleb Daniels can tackle a few players running round at the moment.It's a bloody farce.
An instant free if you lower your body at the knees/raise the shoulders to incite high contact.
It's pretty bloody simple - and a lot easier to enforce that on 4 or 5 players than insisting everyone in the game has to change for them.

p.s. Tom Mitchell, will you please come back if we chuck Horse (Bring Clarko with you)?

Well said Clarko on the Selwood ducking rubbish! The AFL need to wipe that out of the game as a priority. It's getting to be only Caleb Daniels can tackle a few players running round at the moment.It's a bloody farce.
An instant free if you lower your body at the knees/raise the shoulders to incite high contact.
It's pretty bloody simple - and a lot easier to enforce that on 4 or 5 players than insisting everyone in the game has to change for them.

p.s. Tom Mitchell, will you please come back if we chuck Horse (Bring Clarko with you)?
Nah mate, Mitchell is in a loving family that appreciates him now :heartpulse:

Clever by Clarko, very clear.
He was really pinging Selwood for his cheating, this hopefully ensuring Selwood will get a little less love from the umps as well as generating some genuine debate in the football world .
Dressing it up as a concussion issue and tagging two of our own into it is a clever little cover for Clarko.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

"The idea that Joel's had 10 concussions is just wrong. The number is three."

Yea nar bullshit.
So a quick search...
Selwood has copped numerous bumps to the head during his career and has been knocked out twice.

The first time was during Geelong's narrow win over St Kilda at the MCG in round one of the 2011 season; the second was during a match against the Brisbane Lions at the Gabba last year.
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-01/joels-concussion-concerns

Geelong is optimistic that captain Joel Selwood will return for the Cats' round 16 clash with the Lions at the Gabba.

Selwood was withdrawn from the Cats' side that drew with GWS on the Saturday afternoon before that evening's game, due to a concussion he suffered in round 14 against Fremantle.

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl...ongs-match-with-brisbane-20170703-gx3v5o.html

Then we have this:

So there's 4 without even trying. Nice try Chris "Trump" Scott.

Clarko is right on this one. No need for Chris to get on the blower either, I want clarko completely ignore him and keep needling through the media, I also want Leigh Matthews to be called out as just another media flog who sides with the vanilla side of arguments , it's easier to call Ducker a courageous champ than for what he really is, a cheat!!!! When you cheat by diving in the premier league, you get sighted by video and get for three weeks, so, has the afl got the kahoons to go down that path! !!
Joel is a cheat, simply as that

'Probably most courageous player of all time ....'

No wonder the duck sooks it up when he has the wind blown up his arse like this.

Needs a belting. Proper like. Put on his arse, and hurt if needs be to teach him and the MRP and the media to open their eyes to whats going on.

Kudos to Sicily for showing the guts, and Im going to say leadetship, to call him out and act on it. A week here doesnt hurt him or the team in the long run. It enhances his, and our reputation for not putting up with s**t, or kowtowing to sacred cows like Selwood and other media darlings. It aint unsociable, its just bullshit free.

The duck plays outside the spirit of the game more than any international cricketer with his sledging. And yes, he's a cheat. Can we continue to boo him?

Also, when a young player like Mathieson from Lions was doing something similar in his first year he wasn't called courageous, he was called out by oppo players, his teammates weren't happy with it and the media didn't fawn over him as a tough courageous player, so, what's the difference? ??

Clever by Clarko, very clear.
He was really pinging Selwood for his cheating, this hopefully ensuring Selwood will get a little less love from the umps as well as generating some genuine debate in the football world .
Dressing it up as a concussion issue and tagging two of our own into it is a clever little cover for Clarko.

Only 3 concussions?

Selwood has a head bandage every second week: is that for being hit in the head or just part of his regular uniform?

I'm 50/50 about the high tackle issue. Like many other areas in today's game, many basic skills are being ignored. I was taught to tackle the shorts. In other words, go in lower. If this happened, the Selwood style free kick would quickly be a thing of the past. No good aiming to tackle around the chest and shoulders.

I'm confused about it all because I thought the AFL were going to clamp down on it this year, but nothing has changed.

100% behind Clarko with prior opportunity, that's just too stupid for words. The strange thing about "prior opportunity" is the player rarely has prior opportunity. A player gets the ball, get's ridden into the ground, three people jump on top so he can't get rid of the ball, and the umpire says he had prior opportunity. Absolute rubbish.
We were also told to grab the shorts/hips however tackling today has emphasis on preventing the player from handballing therefore the tackle on the arms.

He's not wrong on Poppy, he knows how to do the shoulder shrug and he knows how to get low/sideways, it's just that with his height he also often gets taken high without having to do anything because he's being tackled by a KPD

Not every high free Selwood gets is manufactured, he's just better at manufacturing them than most
Disagree, i have never ever seen selwood not do the "selwood shrug". Every time he is tackled he does it and close to every free kick he has gotten is because of it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back