Opinion Star Athletic a disaster?

Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 9, 2010
Essendon
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
Leicester City
2013 we saw the 'star is born' approach with SA, producing different ideas to what our previous manufacturer, adidas, would produce. There were a few things here and there that i was a fan of, others not so.

One thing that i hated was that there was zero player issue products brought out, and the only of getting this would be through online auctions.

With Adidas we were able to pick up player issue gear and the end of the season with half price specials to get rid of them for the new season.

Fast forward 2014, new year, same gear, just very...dull.

Not many changes from the previous season, while adidas did fail at some things, their ideas were pretty good.

only change to any of the gear for 2014 is from the grey training guernsey it is now yellow, oh boy.

2rVsOsx.jpg

thoughts?

Training gear is disappointingly overpriced. $100 for a run on shirt last season? Please. Also when buying off the club website shipping gets more expensive the more you spend. Only place I've seen that

Training gear is disappointingly overpriced. $100 for a run on shirt last season? Please. Also when buying off the club website shipping gets more expensive the more you spend. Only place I've seen that
the 'sales' are pretty ridiculous. $20 of gear from last season.

All Footy Gear is overpriced

One thing that i hated was that there was zero player issue products brought out, and the only of getting this would be through online auctions.

IIRC the plan was that players would each get custom guernseys that are tailored to their individual body shape and position on the field.

It probably wouldn't make sense for them to sell Travis Cloke's custom size guernsey to the public? There may be Intellectual Property issues as well?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well don't buy it then, it's about what's in it for the club, so suck it up.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Sure, why not add 50 extra dollars to memberships and we'll all just "suck it up".

Makes more money for the club doesn't it? I agree that the quality and range are dissapointing but disaster probably a bit strong.

Should we as members put up with an inferior product on the basis that it makes more money for the club?

Should we as members put up with an inferior product on the basis that it makes more money for the club?

If the extra dollar they make by doing it takes us one step closer to a premiership, then yes of course we should. Whether that extra dollar is taking us one step closer to the premiership is the $64,000 question and an impossible one to answer without having access to information that the club has.

If the extra dollar they make by doing it takes us one step closer to a premiership, then yes of course we should. Whether that extra dollar is taking us one step closer to the premiership is the $64,000 question and an impossible one to answer without having access to information that the club has.

I think the club can do both. Invest the money necessary in the football department whilst providing the very best for members. Anything associated with Collingwood should be of the highest quality.

Merchandise is a way for the club to give back to the supporters, while generating lots of revenue for the club itself.

The club shouldn't be sacrificing a good product, nor should the supporters be forced to put with a bad product, just so extra revenue is increased. That's asking too much of supporters, and it's just bad business.

I don't know why it's so hard to make quality items anymore.
It's not just star gear I am talking about.
I was in Myer today looking at Lacoste Polo tops.
Made of Polyester and priced over $100 because of the *ing crocodile.
You have to be a moron to buy it.
I used to always buy their gear ages ago, but crap I wont buy.
Same with the apparel the football club sells.
Adidas is getting nothing anymore, so how about making quality apparel for the fans instead of crap.

Good thread. This 'star athletics' thing has been bugging me too. Ive got a couple of questions.
What is 'star athletics'?
Does 'star athletics' produce anything besides Collingwood gear?
Is Gary pert a part owner of star athletics?
Is Collingwood football club a part owner of star athletics?
Have merchandise sales improved or worsened since we gave addidas the arse in favour of 'star athletics'?
Are Collingwood players annoyed about being forced to wear crap 'star atletics' hoodies etc?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Good thread. This 'star athletics' thing has been bugging me too. Ive got a couple of questions.
What is 'star athletics'?
Does 'star athletics' produce anything besides Collingwood gear?
Is Gary pert a part owner of star athletics?
Is Collingwood football club a part owner of star athletics?
Have merchandise sales improved or worsened since we gave addidas the arse in favour of 'star athletics'?
Are Collingwood players annoyed about being forced to wear crap 'star atletics' hoodies etc?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

I have no problem with Star Athletic, I think Collingwood just has a larger say in what products they want made.

But for me, the prices are ridiculous and the shipping is ridiculous. Other than that, I don't really have any qualms with it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back