Streaming Star Trek: Discovery

Streaming Television

Remove this Banner Ad

Half way through the first episode of the new season and by gum I'm glad it's the last season of this show. Well and truly past its use by date.

Yeah it's a show that never knew what it wanted to be and has constantly reinvented itself. SNW was a better prequel show and Picard S3 was a better 'new era ST' show.

The first season was a mess of too many ideas but after that it was a perfectly fine show. Bit more focused and always gorgeous to look at. I think a lot of people hated Burnham from the get-go and were never gonna change their mind. I’ve watched the first episode and thought it was decent.

The first season was a mess of too many ideas but after that it was a perfectly fine show. Bit more focused and always gorgeous to look at. I think a lot of people hated Burnham from the get-go and were never gonna change their mind. I’ve watched the first episode and thought it was decent.

I actually like Burnham and don't get the hate but each season has been almost an entirely different show.

I actually like Burnham and don't get the hate but each season has been almost an entirely different show.
It’s certainly not the best Star Trek show ever made but it’s decent and each season has had an interesting plot even if they didn’t always nail the finish. I wouldn’t say every season has been different, clearly the move to the future made it feel like a second generation of the show. I quite liked last season, thought it was a classic Trek concept.

I don't like Burnham because the actress playing her is a terrible actor. If only Rosario Dawson were free when they were casting. This has never been a perfect ST series, IMO, especially that terrible first season. But I do think they have reigned it back in after that, and it's been OK. While Burnham annoys me, I do love the other characters. Saru is a perfectly formed ST character. Tilly and the gay couple are great.

There's not been much discussion on this. Been a perfectly good season so far without being anything special, don't mind mystery quest, the connection to TNG and the Progenitors, one episode I found particularly poor (Whistlespeak) but the rest have been OK. I find that now we're at the end, I kinda like most of the characters, especially Book, Culber, Saru and Burnham.

There's not been much discussion on this. Been a perfectly good season so far without being anything special, don't mind mystery quest, the connection to TNG and the Progenitors, one episode I found particularly poor (Whistlespeak) but the rest have been OK. I find that now we're at the end, I kinda like most of the characters, especially Book, Culber, Saru and Burnham.

I haven't even watched last week's episode yet, really struggling although that was because of Whistlespeak being pretty dull. Will give the next ep a crack.

Whistlespeak was a traditional filler Star Trek episode with a bit of dressing to connect it to the main plot. Was a real turkey. But the last episode was good and really gets the story moving again. I don't find the Progenitor story as compelling as the Burn or Red Angel ideas, but it's solid.

The season has been OK so far. The storyline is often highly predictable, which means the writing has been mediocre overall. It's like, instead of going out with a bang (given it's their last season), they've decided to play it safe with the plot and stick with the common/cliqued tropes. But it's been watchable.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Missing Doug Jones plenty, although Callum Keith Rennie (who plays Commander Rayner) has partially filled the void of not seeing Jones on screen any more. I think some in the writers' room realised that the Burnham character needs someone who will push against her all-wise and benevolent persona and actually create some friction.

And I wonder if we'll see Owosekun and Detmer again before the end of the season, or have they simply been written out of the show with little to no fanfare. Not that Discovery every did much to make you care about anyone on the bridge other than Burnham or Saru.

Discovery does, however, work better when the likes of Tig Notaro, Wilson Cruz and Anthony Rapp are on the screen.

Missing Doug Jones plenty, although Callum Keith Rennie (who plays Commander Rayner) has partially filled the void of not seeing Jones on screen any more. I think some in the writers' room realised that the Burnham character needs someone who will push against her all-wise and benevolent persona and actually create some friction.

And I wonder if we'll see Owosekun and Detmer again before the end of the season, or have they simply been written out of the show with little to no fanfare. Not that Discovery every did much to make you care about anyone on the bridge other than Burnham or Saru.

Discovery does, however, work better when the likes of Tig Notaro, Wilson Cruz and Anthony Rapp are on the screen.
I felt like there was too much focus on Burnham, Saru and Tilley, with a little bit of Stamets and Culber, in the early seasons with everyone else just a background character but felt they have done a much better job of giving them time to shine since they moved to the future. Previously I wouldn’t have been able to tell you Detmer, Owusekan or Rhys’ names.

This week's episode... Burnham is trapped in her mind, talking about herself...

living single shiver GIF by HULU

I kept meaning to post in this thread but then kept forgetting. I don’t think the season was awful but the finale was. While the decision by Burnham was obvious and made sense for her character, it ultimately meant the whole storyline was pointless. And the epilogue just went on and on.

Probably the second worst season overall. The first was so disjointed or has to be the worst. Seasons 2, 3 and 4 were all pretty decent.

And I still found Voyager to be worse. Probably Enterprise too but I never could get past episode two or three.

They were using every trick in the book in the final episode to make the viewer cry. Yet, my brain just said nope. Such sappy crap. This was a season that started OK but just got worse and worse as it went on. There were some good characters in Discovery, but Burnham has to be the worst ST character of all time.

It just ultimately was a show that had no idea what it was or what direction it wanted to take. It was the first new ST show so was just greenlit without a whole heap of thought but when you look at something like SNW which was so much better defined, it's easy to see why the latter has worked so much better.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back