Star Wars Star Wars - General Discussion / Legends / Comics

Remove this Banner Ad

Then there is NO way they can ease up on the number of films released with all these announcements they are making.

They should just do as many of them as they can twice a year and don’t do any sequels (no trilogy for Rian).

They’ve already messed that up as Mando is getting two films but as (I think it was you who said) they might release some of these on D+.

They need to say enough is enough and no more new announcements until these movies are done.
To be fair, she only said it was back in development. She said she pulled out when she began working on Wonder Woman 3, but with that now canned, she's working on a script again. As it stands, they have film announcements and scheduled dates, but haven't connected the two yet so it could be something they fit into the current schedule or hold off for later.

Said Jenkins on the podcast, “So, when I left Star Wars to do Wonder Woman 3 , I thought maybe I’ll come back to Star Wars after Wonder Woman 3. So, we did a deal for that to happen, started a deal, but I thought I was doing Wonder Woman. When that went away, Lucasfilm and I were like, oh, we gotta finish this deal. We finished the deal right as the strike was happening. So I now owe a draft of Star Wars and so we will see what happens there. You know, like, who knows?”

“And so we will see what happens there. You know, like, who knows? It’s hard, they have a hard job in front of them of what’s the first movie they’re gonna do. They have other directors who have been working, but I am now, you know, I’m back on doing Rogue Squadron and we’ll see what happens. We need to develop, you know, get it to where we’re both super happy with it,” the Wonder Woman filmmaker said.

To be fair, she only said it was back in development. She said she pulled out when she began working on Wonder Woman 3, but with that now canned, she's working on a script again. As it stands, they have film announcements and scheduled dates, but haven't connected the two yet so it could be something they fit into the current schedule or hold off for later.
Ah, I see.

It's certainly not a bad thing if all these film projects actually take their time to develop a good script.

But as I said, I wouldn't do sequels or trilogies at the rate the films are going.

Just give Rian, Waititi, Filoni/Favreau, Sharmeen, Mangold, Jenkins, Levy, Lando director one film each. That's 8 different films. Stop announcing more films.

Release schedule could look something like:

May 26: film 1
Dec 26: film 2
May 27: film 3
Dec 27: film 4
May 28: film 5
May 29: film 6
Dec 29: film 7
May 30: film 8

They can get them all done if everything goes right, and maybe even produce mostly hits rather than misses.

That's too many in too short a time frame. If Film 2 loses money they've already filmed Films 3-5.
What do you suggest, then? One film per year that drags out to 2033? It’ll be even longer than that if Mando gets a sequel and Rian gets a trilogy because that’s 11 movies they have supposedly planned to make.

Perhaps they could roll them out over a longer period than I suggested, but what they really need to do imo is cut out the sequels and trilogies and get these 8 films done, no matter how long it takes.

What do you suggest, then? One film per year that drags out to 2033? It’ll be even longer than that if Mando gets a sequel and Rian gets a trilogy because that’s 11 movies they have supposedly planned to make.

Perhaps they could roll them out over a longer period than I suggested, but what they really need to do imo is cut out the sequels and trilogies and get these 8 films done, no matter how long it takes.

Yes. Less is more. Look at Marvel these days.

Who goes to the cinemas anymore? Writing's on the wall, pumping out movies is a good way to destroy a brand and lose money.

There's not 11, there's not even eight. Rian Johnson won't do the trilogy now, he doesn't need them ($500m deal with Netflix) and they don't want to reignite the drama. I think Filoni's goes to Disney+. I read an article that said Shawn Levy has to finish Deadpool, Stranger Things and a movie with Netflix before he can work on a Star Wars film, so put that one a long way out (it's also never been officially confirmed by Lucasfilm, just Levy in interviews).

Realistically, they should focus on the Mandalorian for May 2026 (but geez, they need to get that right after the middling seasons 2 and 3). Then the Rey film for the 50th anniversary in December 2027. These are probably their most valuable properties, the Mandalorian has been successful and Rey is still a popular character despite the sequel trilogy flaming out. Officially, there is also a spot in December 2026 that I think they should skip, but given they have locked in the dates, that would probably go to Lando.

That leaves Waititi, Mangold, Levy and Jenkins working on movies, but they should give a couple of years break and then maybe go May 2029 and December 2030.

There's not 11, there's not even eight. Rian Johnson won't do the trilogy now, he doesn't need them ($500m deal with Netflix) and they don't want to reignite the drama. I think Filoni's goes to Disney+. I read an article that said Shawn Levy has to finish Deadpool, Stranger Things and a movie with Netflix before he can work on a Star Wars film, so put that one a long way out (it's also never been officially confirmed by Lucasfilm, just Levy in interviews).

Realistically, they should focus on the Mandalorian for May 2026 (but geez, they need to get that right after the middling seasons 2 and 3). Then the Rey film for the 50th anniversary in December 2027. These are probably their most valuable properties, the Mandalorian has been successful and Rey is still a popular character despite the sequel trilogy flaming out. Officially, there is also a spot in December 2026 that I think they should skip, but given they have locked in the dates, that would probably go to Lando.

That leaves Waititi, Mangold, Levy and Jenkins working on movies, but they should give a couple of years break and then maybe go May 2029 and December 2030.
I agree. Lando should just go on Disney+ as well. Otherwise, sounds like a great plan to me, definitely less congested.

And they should stick with two shows a year.

2024: Skeleton Crew 1 and Acolyte 1
2025: Andor 2 and Ahsoka 2
2026: Mando 4 (I think this is still happening?) and ???

Yes. Less is more. Look at Marvel these days.

Who goes to the cinemas anymore? Writing's on the wall, pumping out movies is a good way to destroy a brand and lose money.
To be fair, that wasn't an issue when the quality was there. It was only post Endgame that became an issue for Marvel. They pumped out plenty in the decade leading up to that.

I think it's been more to do with quality/superhero fatigue for Marvel, rather than a sign of the times necessarily.

To be fair, that wasn't an issue when the quality was there. It was only post Endgame that became an issue for Marvel. They pumped out plenty in the decade leading up to that.

I think it's been more to do with quality/superhero fatigue for Marvel, rather than a sign of the times necessarily.

They never had this volume of content. Between TV shows and movies and the breadth of character they're going backwards rapidly.

You also failed to bold the first half of that paragraph which was the broader point. Post COVID people don't go to cinemas nearly as much, so pumping out movies rather than TV is the issue.

They never had this volume of content. Between TV shows and movies and the breadth of character they're going backwards rapidly.

You also failed to bold the first half of that paragraph which was the broader point. Post COVID people don't go to cinemas nearly as much, so pumping out movies rather than TV is the issue.
They weren't doing TV but they were pushing 2 - 3 movies a year for over a decade.

They're also going backwards because their arc reached a natural conclusion. A decade is a long term investment for any fan, trying to kick straight back off with a whole lot of new content was fanciful in the extreme.

People will still consume content if it's worth consuming. Whether it's movie/TV, watching at the cinema or at home.

Cinema has its challenges, but it's not going anywhere. The numbers have slowly been creeping up in 2022 and again in 2023. The biggest loss was in the older crowd, which had more to fear from COVID at the time, but last year showed the right movie can get crowds out and about again (Barbie and Oppenheimer). Given Marvel and Star Wars' main demographic, quality is still the main issue to address. If the movie is good (Guardians of the Galaxy), people will see it in cinema. That's why so much is riding on the Mandalorian movie. If it's bad or even just OK, the crowds won't turn out and the narrative that Star Wars is dead may continue. If it's excellent, if feeds into the 50th anniversary and things are back on.

They weren't doing TV but they were pushing 2 - 3 movies a year for over a decade.

They're also going backwards because their arc reached a natural conclusion. A decade is a long term investment for any fan, trying to kick straight back off with a whole lot of new content was fanciful in the extreme.

People will still consume content if it's worth consuming. Whether it's movie/TV, watching at the cinema or at home.

Right.. before COVID. When movies were regularly topping each other for highest grossing flicks.

People are absolutely not going to the cinema anywhere near as much anymore.

Cinema has its challenges, but it's not going anywhere. The numbers have slowly been creeping up in 2022 and again in 2023. The biggest loss was in the older crowd, which had more to fear from COVID at the time, but last year showed the right movie can get crowds out and about again (Barbie and Oppenheimer). Given Marvel and Star Wars' main demographic, quality is still the main issue to address. If the movie is good (Guardians of the Galaxy), people will see it in cinema. That's why so much is riding on the Mandalorian movie. If it's bad or even just OK, the crowds won't turn out and the narrative that Star Wars is dead may continue. If it's excellent, if feeds into the 50th anniversary and things are back on.

Those two are the exception that proves the rule - neither is a franchise movie either. Outside of them, nothing has even cracked 1bn in recent times which is insanity.

Guardians grossed 845m lol.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Are you suggesting that's (covid) the biggest reason Marvel has failed in recent times?

I'm suggesting that COVID was the circuit breaker that means no movies gross as massively as they used to. This is a SW thread, I was talking more broadly than Marvel from the start. Going hell for leather at movies with all the cost associated is a fool's gambit for any studio.

Those two are the exception that proves the rule - neither is a franchise movie either. Outside of them, nothing has even cracked 1bn in recent times which is insanity.

Guardians grossed 845m lol.
Super Mario Bros also cracked a billion in 2023, Jurassic World and Top Gun in 2022, and Spider-Man: No Way Home (almost $2b) in 2021. All 'franchise' movies. There's no question there has been a period of adjustment, but it's building back up. The idea cinema will never be what it used to be, I think, is misguided. The right film will get the right result.

EDIT: and I forgot Avatar in 2022 with $2.3b (it's funny how quickly we all forget Avatar).

Super Mario Bros also cracked a billion in 2023, Jurassic World and Top Gun in 2022, and Spider-Man: No Way Home in 2021. All 'franchise' movies. There's no question there has been a period of adjustment, but it's building back up. The idea cinema will never be what it used to be, I think, is misguided. The right film will get the right result.

Fair shout on Mario, but that's still very, very few movies over a 3 year period compared to what it was. All four of those movies were heavily reliant on nostalgia to get people in to see them. I just look at how poorly movies have done in the last 12 months and just don't see how that comes back. People have too many other options now and COVID showed that they just have to wait 2ish months and the movies will be out on streaming services anyway.

Fair shout on Mario, but that's still very, very few movies over a 3 year period compared to what it was. All four of those movies were heavily reliant on nostalgia to get people in to see them. I just look at how poorly movies have done in the last 12 months and just don't see how that comes back. People have too many other options now and COVID showed that they just have to wait 2ish months and the movies will be out on streaming services anyway.
When people say cinema has done poorly in the past 12 months, I genuinely think they just mean Disney. They had a 'mare of a year. And yes, the two-month delay in streaming is definitely a factor. I ended up forgoing The Marvels (and Indiana Jones) because I knew it would arrive fairly soon. However, WB had a cracking year.

I feel like three billion-dollar films in 2023 and four in 2022 (given No Way Home opened late and into 2022) is pretty normal. It's the middle tier films that older people used to go and see that are really bringing the box office down. That said, Anyone But You just grossed $200 million on $25m budget, Dune 2 is crossing $500m, horror movies always go pretty good as well. Cinema is going to be fine, Marvel and Lucasfilm just need to deliver the goods.

Super Mario Bros also cracked a billion in 2023, Jurassic World and Top Gun in 2022, and Spider-Man: No Way Home (almost $2b) in 2021. All 'franchise' movies. There's no question there has been a period of adjustment, but it's building back up. The idea cinema will never be what it used to be, I think, is misguided. The right film will get the right result.

EDIT: and I forgot Avatar in 2022 with $2.3b (it's funny how quickly we all forget Avatar).

Barbie was $1.4b+ I believe, Oppenheimer just short of a $1b. And Avatar 2 as you mentioned at the start of the year/end of 2022. Wakanda Forever as well just prior to that also with very strong box office numbers in the vicinity of Guardians 3.

I agree with the sentiment that the film needs to be good enough, the audience will come. Yes there’s a lot riding on the quality of the next Star Wars film. The same with Gunn’s Superman. If they deliver, if the films are quality and word of mouth etc is strong, the numbers will take care of themselves.

When people say cinema has done poorly in the past 12 months, I genuinely think they just mean Disney. They had a 'mare of a year. And yes, the two-month delay in streaming is definitely a factor. I ended up forgoing The Marvels (and Indiana Jones) because I knew it would arrive fairly soon. However, WB had a cracking year.

I feel like three billion-dollar films in 2023 and four in 2022 (given No Way Home opened late and into 2022) is pretty normal. It's the middle tier films that older people used to go and see that are really bringing the box office down. That said, Anyone But You just grossed $200 million on $25m budget, Dune 2 is crossing $500m, horror movies always go pretty good as well. Cinema is going to be fine, Marvel and Lucasfilm just need to deliver the goods.

Guess we'll see. I remain skeptical.

Dune 2 is a perfect example of a film I'd ordinarily make an effort to go out and see, but it's already been out a few weeks and I'm sure it'll pop up on Binge or Amazon within the next month or two so already can't be bothered.

Barbie was $1.4b+ I believe, Oppenheimer just short of a $1b. And Avatar 2 as you mentioned at the start of the year/end of 2022. Wakanda Forever as well just prior to that also with very strong box office numbers in the vicinity of Guardians 3.

I agree with the sentiment that the film needs to be good enough, the audience will come. Yes there’s a lot riding on the quality of the next Star Wars film. The same with Gunn’s Superman. If they deliver, if the films are quality and word of mouth etc is strong, the numbers will take care of themselves.
You're right on Oppenheimer, $953m, however it has been re-released after the Oscars, so perhaps a billion is there for the taking.

Guess we'll see. I remain skeptical.

Dune 2 is a perfect example of a film I'd ordinarily make an effort to go out and see, but it's already been out a few weeks and I'm sure it'll pop up on Binge or Amazon within the next month or two so already can't be bothered.
I think we're about to see a correction on that as it's clearly affecting box office (as is the idea that some films are 'made for streaming' so people just wait and they flop at the box office). Oppenheimer and Barbie are only hitting a free streaming service this month, almost nine months after they were released. Dune was pulled from streaming ahead of the release of Dune 2, so the only way to watch it for a refresher was to rent it.

This year is pivotal but it has got off to a promising start, especially for those mid-tier films that we thought were being killed off. Anyone But You $200m, Bob Marley currently at $170m on a $70m budget, Poor Things at $112m on a $35m budget despite already being on Disney, Mean Girls $100m on a $32m budget, plus Dune 2 at $500m and Kung Fu Panda 4 at $175m with some countries yet to open. Ghostbusters and Godzilla x Kong to come.

Deadpool v Wolverine is as critical to Marvel as the Mandalorian will be to Lucasfilm.

You're right on Oppenheimer, $953m, however it has been re-released after the Oscars, so perhaps a billion is there for the taking.

I think we're about to see a correction on that as it's clearly affecting box office (as is the idea that some films are 'made for streaming' so people just wait and they flop at the box office). Oppenheimer and Barbie are only hitting a free streaming service this month, almost nine months after they were released. Dune was pulled from streaming ahead of the release of Dune 2, so the only way to watch it for a refresher was to rent it.

This year is pivotal but it has got off to a promising start, especially for those mid-tier films that we thought were being killed off. Anyone But You $200m, Bob Marley currently at $170m on a $70m budget, Poor Things at $112m on a $35m budget despite already being on Disney, Mean Girls $100m on a $32m budget, plus Dune 2 at $500m and Kung Fu Panda 4 at $175m with some countries yet to open. Ghostbusters and Godzilla x Kong to come.

Deadpool v Wolverine is as critical to Marvel as the Mandalorian will be to Lucasfilm.

Yeah think that's got to be the aim, to keep movies off streaming for longer, will be interesting to see how much impact that has.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back