FTA-TV Star Wars Rebels

Remove this Banner Ad

I think they could've toned down on the droid story and had this more as a Wedge orientated episode. At least the next 2 weeks we are in for a treat!
Let's hope Maul and Kenobi don't have a "yes i am" "no you arent" type feud and then Maul accidentally trips over a rock and has his lightsaber pierce himself thru the chest before anything juicy happens.

Yuck. I'm about to hit the Darth Maul stuff in Clone Wars. I hate this and the fact he wasn't left dead. Will I miss much if I skip it?

Last edited:

I've really struggled this season, about 5 eps behind at the moment. This doesn't help, an episode like this is happening only because the cast have a singing background
Yeah they're forcing it because a few of the Flash cast and Supergirl cast were on Glee and they thought it would be a good idea.

I could be wrong but surely no fans of the show actually want this, unless your a 12 old girl maybe.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I really liked the episode. I'm glad it wasnt a 10 min lightsaber battle. It was the complete opposite of their battle in Episode 1, however Obi Wan is extremely powerful with the force now, Maul is no match.

Mauls death was nice. He lost, he accepted it, and hoped that Luke will avenge what the Sith have done to both Maul and Obi Wan. Like a hidden mutual respect between the two. The last shot in the episode was amazing!

Now can we finally say goodbye to Maul? If they bring hm back again, im done.

A couple of thoughts...

This is what happens when you waste a whole season with so many filler episodes. When you come to important content like Twin Suns, it ends up either being rushed or the perception it is rushed. The scant manner of treatment. Tying up so many things too neatly or too quickly that you give the content or characters or story arcs a disservice. It's like they whimsically wrote this season from episode to episode. No clear path or build up. One thing happens, and then a bunch of filler things happen, then something else happens. Rebels falls down so hard when it comes to writing - not the dialog, but the plotting of episodes, an overall story itself. The writers are so wasteful of precious available funds, everyone's time and effort.

All I keep seeing still is that Ezra = Snoke. Apart from the facial similarities, the Bendu lessons, the joiner of holycrons, roughly a similar age if added in some terrifying wounds that age one....apart from all that, just simply what happens to Ezra? We're so close to the start of ANH now. He's never mentioned in OT Canon that existed before Rebels. What's to become of his story to explain his "absence" from OT lore? Does he die in the Lothal battle? Or Season 4 at some random pre-ANH moment? So what was the point of his story? Does he become a Jedi Master who impacts the OT story in any way, teaching someone we know later? Does he fall to the dark side still, and where's his place in that OT era? Or, as I think, the only arc available - he reconnects with the Bendu, learning to embrace and fulfill both sides, disappears from the scene for decades, watching everything unfold from a distance, knowing what must happen and that it cannot be altered, so that he can re-enter many decades later (TFA-era) and do whatever it is Snoke is doing in this post-OT era. Amending the Galaxy of its ongoing self-conflict. A key to me has always been his surname (Bridger). He was created as a character for a specific purpose story-wise, bridging between pre-OT and post-OT. He cannot have been created with such intent and focus, in a series touching the OT so much, to merely die or become an unknown Jedi Master / Sith by the time the OT hits top gear. He must be Snoke.

For all the talk about Star Wars animated TV being aimed at the kids, I haven't met one kid who even watches them. Instead, it's adults in the 40 year old age bracket that are the most avid watchers. This forum probably has like %95 adults (20-50 yo) who post here religiously (especially this section of the site).

Especially this 5-13 yo range, there's none who watch it.

Sure, Disney XD attracts millions of those 5-13 yo's to other shows; musicals, dancing, singing, human acting, other cartoons that are seriously kiddy. But The Clone Wars and Rebels is more (imo) geared to the hardcore adult fan, who are thirsting for backstory to the PT and OT, all the in-depth details about ships, planets, outfits, fighting styles, the six degrees between characters, etc.

By putting it on children's networks, they do a disservice to the hardcore fans because SW MUST always have in-depth layers to it about ships/etc, and must be serious content to work off the movies. Yet by putting it on children's networks, they're constrained to tone and/or dumb it down as to not offend children's sensibilities. So you end up with a compromised product. They should just put it on an adult network, and then they're more free to be more dark, serious, in-depth, have meatier stories, show some gore, blood, etc.

Then create a totally unrelated to PT/OT SW show just for kids, where silly playful characters dance and sing, and have very kiddy stories like going to the store to buy things and meeting other alien kids and that sort of thing. Where there's no in-depth layers.

Disney/LucasFilm....call me!

Sure, lets pretend Maul is a skill-less and powerless warrior, lets pretend his growth stopped and regressed, lets pretend SOD never happened, lets pretend Ahsoka was not outmatched in her own book and needed to spring a trap(one which Maul escaped from along with Order 66 Clones), lets pretend Maul was an old weakling on Rebels in his prior appearances. Now lets pretend Kenobi is not old, or old but super powerful and super skilled , lets pretend the Marvel comic does not exist that provided insight into the aging Old Ben Kenobi. Kenobi was a hermit and recluse. It was many years before Kenobi touched his lightsaber in Marvel Star Wars, and Kenobi had hardships to stop being a Jedi and for a while he did. Most of his years he battled inactivity and monotony, not Sith Lords or Bounty Hunters. Kenobi often wonder if he should've died along the rest of the Jedi. Only his duty to Luke kept him going on there in his miserable life and squaller. Kenobi question his training, questioned that Jinn never taught him to fade away. Kenobi kept hidden, in fear of being found to be a Jedi. He fought off thugs, and it took all night to fight Sand People without his lightsaber. He was winded from a climb up a mountain. He felt fear , that worsened with age, along with aches and pains of older age. He first tried a mind trick on Black Krrsantan so not to engage the brute, that failed and Kenobi engaged in a brutal fight, one that he nearly did not walk away from. He could not use his lightsaber out've fear of being outed. Kenobi admitted the years made him a fool, an almost dead fool. The only reason he initially survived the encounter was cause Jabba wanted Kenobi alive. What turned the tide was Kenobi giving into his lightsaber, and saving the man that just saved him, Owen. Kenobi's use of the Force was certainly no greater than Maul's on Rebels.

Maul was a true Sith Lord, thats a fact . And one that constantly tested and honed his skills as a warrior against the most ruthless beings in the galaxy . His training kept him alive and kept him alive well past the Clone Wars. Maul killed Inquisitors and fought them off with ease, lifted heavy stones that weighed many many tons, what Dark Jedi warriors did Kenobi fight on Tatooine again?! Maul was in top physical condition. He had his ship recall com on his wrist, the desert walk was his choice, he could've gotten out, he's a hunter and a former Sith. Tatooine is scarcely populated, he could've found Kenobi with just using probe droids and his hunting skills, he had a holocron that can even be used as a communication device. He could've even preserved the A-Wing if all else was somehow out've reach. It turned out he was around Kenobi's vicinity but Kenobi kept mobile and kept hidden. Kenobi refused the single combat call. Maul needed bait, he used Ezra. Kenobi in the Marvel comic was often a broken old down man in a place he hated. Kenobi also lived in a hut, he did not wander around the desert on foot just for the heck of it. Filoni blaming the desert for his advanced age, sure like Alec Guinness who was 63 years old during the filming of A New Hope lived in North Africa for almost 20 years in preparation.

Filoni is like a bad politician. I go by their own storyline and what I see.

Now while we're at it, lets pretend Maul didnt block Jinn's blow with his blade. Sure he used his hilt to hit Jinn AFTER he blocked and parried his blow, not before . This becomes a dumb Greedo shot first moment or what? And no where is cartoon Maul the same Maul of TPM in fighting style and nor does the move match your version where a Maul now deliberately blocks a strike with his hilt, but lets pretend he went to go hit Kenobi in the face instead of slicing him in his midsection, and lets neglect that he was countering Kenob's downward lightsaber strike.

io9.gizmodo.com/the-producer-of-star-wars-rebels-on-tonights-incredible-1793376931

Filoni made comment on how Ezra will develop after the events of these episodes.....

Filoni on Ezra in S4:Season four will answer that,” Filoni promised. “Going into season four now Ezra has a much greater sense of who he is.... season three, in a lot of ways, has been about a quest for power, for true allies and true family. So you see most of the characters deal with that in season three.”

Filoni explained, however, that “power” means different things to different people. For the Sith it’s literal, but for the Jedi, it’s about selflessness and sacrificing to help others. “Ezra is taking a bigger step along that path, which is helping others,” Filoni said. “Which he has always wanted to do but knowing you should do that and knowing how to do that are vastly different things.”

Let's break this down. If anyone's been reading my massive essay long posts this entire about the episode either on the Lit Rebels thread or this one, you know that I'm of the opinion that many people just wanted a Maul Obi Wan fight instead of narrative designed to propel a character or close a characters arc. Maul's arc ended as it has been since the Clone Wars brought him back, a tragedy, but with a hint of hope, at least the only hope a former Sith like Maul could have.

This episode is about Ezra. In fact, there is another quote from the interview that I'll bring up in the end just to make point about how just because you would have preferred the Obi-Wan and Maul fight to be main focus, doesn't mean you guys should just say Ezra had no point. Rematch it once or twice. Listen to the dialogue. Read into the subtext. I thought you guys we're Star Wars nerds. Isn't it law for us all to break down every scene in every episode looking for hidden meanings?.. Don't worry, I'm not really trying to antagonize anyone, but honestly, I don't get why only a very few amount of people actually seem to have even given an decent argument for why Ezra was pointless in this episode. All they keep saying is that this should have happened, or he's annoying. Nothing really indepth, just superficial stuff. Don't really get it myself. Back to my break down.

Like I said, this episode is about Ezra finally choosing to To be a Jedi not because he opposes the Sith, but because the galaxy and his friends need his help, and a Jedi defends those who can't. He finally has regained the convincition and confidence that allowed him to let force flow through him in S2 and the first few episodes of S3. After what happened in to Steps into Shadow, Ezra now once again adrift and conflicted in what the right thing to do was, had become weaker in the force. But if the Zero Hour teaser is any inclination, Ezra will becoming the powerful Jedi he was meant to at Zero Hour and will continue his progression through S4.

Anyways, I'll post the quote proving Filoni didn't just place Ezra in just because. He invested a lot of time with Ezra's s in the Twin Suns episode. You don't waste much time unless this story is intrinsically influential on Ezra throughout his life.

Filoni Interview segment on Bridger's scenes: Bridger’s involvement was so important to the director/writer/producer that he personally storyboarded the entire episode where Ezra walks out from the archway (above), all the way through the end credits.

I really wanted to get into the psychology of this moment and what it’s like for Ezra to commit to going out into this nothingness to find this man. And it’s a very searching moment. Mythically. Going out into the desert is almost like a purification thing. Traveling through fire, traveling through cold, coming out on the other side….It’s Obi-Wan. When it’s all on the line like that I have to be right there.

Does this mean Ezra will say to Kanan "Hey Obi-Wan Kenobi is alive and well living on Tatooine, let's go and pay him a visit and pick him up - ya know being the last living Jedi and all!" Even if Ezra doesn't say anything you'd think Chopper would.

So one way or another everyone should now know Kenobi is alive and well and that brings up a pretty major continuity concern leading into A New Hope.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back